5/24/04 NOW: Nebraska, Kansas, and Mo Valley

Frame from UEX at 2035Z (3:35 pm) is the first one that looks tornadic. Cell 16 WNW of Hebron. Velocities showed good cyclonic convergence earlier but some of the later frames don't look right.. I think range folding from the Missouri storm may be a problem. Several chasers are almost in position.

Tim

I kept a log of tornadoes during this outbreak, I have taken it
down and you should refer to the SPC Storm Reports and the
local NWS offices local storm reports for the latest reports.

Mike

GOOD GRIEF!!

That cell in Southern Nebraska has GOT to be producing a large tornado. The radar signature is unbelieveable AND the radial velocity is incredible! Nice couplet!! AND those areas were just ravaged two days ago. Very sad day today :(

That Thayer County storm is a real beauty. I guess that's Nebraska's Throckmorton County now.

Storm just went up near Childress, TX. If the dryline was a little farther east, I'd be racing out the door. As is, I'm still 3-4 hours away.

Oh well...there's always tomorrow.

Wow, 3 tornadoes on the ground in Thayer County NE

0416 PM TORNADO 5 W HEBRON 40.17N 97.68W
05/24/2004 THAYER NE STORM CHASER

3 TORNADOES ON GROUND...MOVING SE.

Mike

The eagle is now flying on that cell in Thayer County. Looks to be some building along its southern flanking line that is going to get engulfed by the inflow of that monster.

Looking at the radar loop it seems that this cell has pulled the boundary right into it. I have no doughts that this is a very powerfull supercell right now. Shame, I am stuck at Dallas airport waiting to catch my flight home to England.

Dean Cosgrove said he saw 3 tornadoes on the ground at once, two on the ground at once TWICE, and 2 multiple vortex tornadoes, he said he lost count around 13 tornadoes and they were the most beautiful tornadoes he's ever seen.

INCREDIBLE!

It would appear the new updrafts along the flanking line of the storm are in the process of becoming dominant. There's a lot of weird boundary interactions going on, so it's hard to get a feel for the structure of the storm. This definitely doesn't help:

AT 429 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED SEVERAL TORNADOS ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 11 MILES NORTHWEST OF MUNDEN TO NEAR REPUBLIC...

That's the first time I've heard actual tornadoes referred to using "along a line" phrasing.

Yet, despite the new development, the parent circulation looks to still be going. This must be one funky-looking storm in person.

Multiple tornadoes confirmed on the Hebron storm with one of my longtime customers -- he said it was an incredible show. He is caught in the core of the Kansas side storm and trying to get south.

Tim

Back