5/23/05 TALK: HIGH PLAINS AND NE OK AND SW KS

That Wray county storm is right-moving bigtime now -- looks like it's riding southwest. Looks like a velocity couplet is also forming on the Chase County, NE storm.

Verne, Katie, Allen, Jon, and myself are camped in Burlington, Colorado eating a quick dinner as the mess from the north is moving down on us. Nothing too exciting to report from earlier, jumped on the storms near Cheyenne Wells and left them as they went linear. Watching storms near Pueblo and storms along I-70 to our west right now; basically are calling it a day but are staying out as there is still plenty of daylight left. Hoping maybe for some nighttime lightning before heading back for tomorrow's action.

Though I am nowhere near the action in NE and CO, On a Hill in KC I had a nice shot of the anvil being carried east by the upper level winds. made for a nice sunset.

At a truckstop in Burlington, Co. Really good lightning show was going on the last hour from the cell that moved through. Holding out for any more. Nice Cell moving through Leon, KS right now. GR3 indicating some areas of rotation. To far for me though, think I will call it a night and get ready for tommorow.

-Scott.

Started out chasing that cell just s of Limon, in Lincoln co... fairly high based, and thought things would get better as it tracked into better air to the SE... I was wrong. It went linear, and the base just got higher and higher as it seemed to draw in cooler, dryer air. Heard about the Yuma Cnty storm, and that it was tor warned at one point. Headed north to intercept it, but by the time I got there the base was high, and seemed outflow dominant. Now in Goodland where there was an awesome lightning show... that was probably the highlight for the day!

Back