5/18/05: TALK: Central Plains

Well, we're still trying to get Dick McGowan home in one piece. As he was sitting in his truck at a truckstop at I-35 and US75 on Osage/Coffey Co. line, cell w/ mesocyclone indicated and 2.25 " hail potential moved directly over him. He estimated wind gusts of at least 80 mph...no fun in the dark.

EDIT: Semi-trailer truck flipped almost upside down ~1/4 mile E of where Dick was on I-35. Wind was reported as "phenomenal"

Originally posted by Mike Johnston
Well, we're still trying to get Dick McGowan home in one piece. As he was sitting in his truck at a truckstop at I-35 and US75 on Osage/Coffey Co. line, cell w/ mesocyclone indicated and 2.25 \" hail potential moved directly over him. He estimated wind gusts of at least 80 mph...no fun in the dark.

EDIT: Semi-trailer truck flipped almost upside down ~1/4 mile E of where Dick was on I-35. Wind was reported as \"phenomenal\"

Mike: Where is he at right now???

Originally posted by Mike Johnston
Well, we're still trying to get Dick McGowan home in one piece. As he was sitting in his truck at a truckstop at I-35 and US75 on Osage/Coffey Co. line, cell w/ mesocyclone indicated and 2.25 \" hail potential moved directly over him. He estimated wind gusts of at least 80 mph...no fun in the dark.

EDIT: Semi-trailer truck flipped almost upside down ~1/4 mile E of where Dick was on I-35. Wind was reported as \"phenomenal\"

We were pretty close to that, North by Lake Malvern (?) a few miles north of 35 on the South side of Lake Malvern. That was intense. Wondered why the news crews were all out with the mobile trucks.

Hope he gets home alright.. That lightning was intense.

Original target was of course... Iowa. But SPC and everything made KS look so good.

--
Tom Hanlon

I chased with dick most of the day and i made it home in one piece. That lightning scared the hell out of me. That storm produced a wall cloud for about 1 1/2 hours at least and multiple cg's.

*wiping my rear* Okay i made it home. If anyone else was at highway 75, I 35 intersection around 930 i think. Let me know what your thoughts were. Got some rain at first and a little wind, then silence. Thought about heading inside, hearing Mike J. and Marcus O. telling me Meso was right on top of me(or was nearly on), but didn't take cover . Then i saw it. Wind wind wind unbelievable wind, that i SWEAR was rotating at truck stop on east side. My car LIFTED from the rear, and i could hear crunching behind me. I don't want to speculate what it was. But to say the least, the lightning strike Eric and I had 25-50 yards away earlier, was nothing compared to this. I was shaking. Couldn't see anything. Lights went out at truck stop as wind grew more intense. WTF was i thinking of waiting this one out. Should have went inside for cover. Sorry for half report here. I hopefully will post pics tomorrow and reports, although i shot mostly video. CRAZY close lightning, and mad rotating wall clouds with nice visible mesocyclone. Ran into Amos, tony, scott and others right before this happened. Nice to meet you guys.

EDIT: We all ran into I think was a tour group, of like 3 vans south of lyndon. Speculating of who it was. Anyone?

Originally posted by Kevin Walter
Does it bother anyone else that the 12 hour RUC forecast from earlier today underforecast the dewpoints in northern OK by approximately 20 degrees?

It's interesting how the dewps have continued to rise all day in that area - I guess low clouds and cap didn't allow the moisture to mix out vertically as much. Couple that with all the chasers sitting in Wichita sweating with each passing hour without initiation...

Kevin,

I've noticed that the RUC seems to over-mix the dewpoints on windy days -- sometimes by 10-15 degrees. You'll often see the result of this when comparing NAM and RUC CAPE forecasts. I'm not ready to call it a dry bias, but I've seen it enough this year to remember it.

I've also noticed that the RUC analyses on the SPC Mesoanalsysis page tends to underestimate/underanalyze convective inhibition / capping strength. Aside from today, when the 18z Lamont sounding had ~-250 CINH and the RUC Mesoanalysis was showing about -25, I can think of over days where the RUC mesoanalysis did a poor job (either verified through RAOBs or inferred by lack of convection) -- such as May 11th in northern Kansas, when the RUC mesoanalysis was indicating 0 CINH and VERY strong moisture convergence (strongest I have ever seen on a mesoanalysis graphic), yet it was quite obvious in the field that the cap was holding very strong as TCU dissipated and the sky cleared.

My hunch is that the two observations above are related. The RUC may be mixing the PBL too much during the day, which mixes the higher sfc Tds vertically, yet also mixes out the cap, yielding too-low surface Tds and not enough CINH. Just a possibility, however, and something to keep in mind for future reference.

Dick, this was an intense microburst. The storm was outflow dominant when it hit all of us, and the shear circle you saw on Barons was the couplet created by the differential within the area of the sudden downdraft. We saw it too, when it increased to "80 mph" (whatever that means in Baron's-land), but it wasn't associated with a mesocyclonic rotation at our location.

Good to meet you too. What a wild core, eh?

Originally posted by Dick McGowan
*wiping my rear* Okay i made it home. If anyone else was at highway 75, I 35 intersection around 930 i think. Let me know what your thoughts were. Got some rain at first and a little wind, then silence. Thought about heading inside, hearing Mike J. and Marcus O. telling me Meso was right on top of me(or was nearly on), but didn't take cover . Then i saw it. Wind wind wind unbelievable wind, that i SWEAR was rotating at truck stop on east side. My car LIFTED from the rear, and i could hear crunching behind me. I don't want to speculate what it was. But to say the least, the lightning strike Eric and I had 25-50 yards away earlier, was nothing compared to this. I was shaking. Couldn't see anything. Lights went out at truck stop as wind grew more intense. WTF was i thinking of waiting this one out. Should have went inside for cover. Sorry for half report here. I hopefully will post pics tomorrow and reports, although i shot mostly video. CRAZY close lightning, and mad rotating wall clouds with nice visible mesocyclone. Ran into Amos, tony, scott and others right before this happened. Nice to meet you guys.

EDIT: We all ran into I think was a tour group, of like 3 vans south of lyndon. Speculating of who it was. Anyone?

Amos,

I had no radar......just eyes at that point. Flipped a wal mart truck on it's side but the semi faced the opposite direction it was intending on going. Will post pic. Yes, very wild core, I am not a huge fan of chasing what I can't see, especially when I am in the path.

Ah, my mistake. I assumed when Marcus told you the meso was on top of you, he was looking at a shear circle on Baron's, which was almost on top of us (just north of us moving southeast so we were clear of that too). Those indicators seem to appear for any large wind differential, including outflow along the gust front, microbursts in the core, and of course true mesocyclonic rotation.

Originally posted by Dick McGowan
Amos,

I had no radar......just eyes at that point. Flipped a wal mart truck on it's side but the semi faced the opposite direction it was intending on going. Will post pic. Yes, very wild core, I am not a huge fan of chasing what I can't see, especially when I am in the path.

Back