5/18/05: TALK: Central Plains

I'm sitting on my laptop in our camper at a campground in Wichita. I too am targeting SC-SE Kansas today. Waiting for MCD to go up. I hope this field of low level clouds goes away pretty soon. :? This will be my first chase of the year so I'm hoping it will be a good one with at least some great structure.

Based on where it looks like surface moisture convergence is setting up, and time to initiation, I would set up south of the Wichita metro area - perhaps somewhere around Udall or Mulvane. Historically, the classic storm track through this area seems to be eastern Harper -->northern Sumner & Cowley --> southeast Sedgwick -->Butler.

Since I'm not trusting of of the Northerly 200s, I'll take my chances on the IA/MO border despite the trees and hills. Based on the the Moisture convergence, looks like a sup will go up between 4 and 7. Otherwise, this looks like the last hurrah for this trip.

Cloud cover remains stubbornly in place over much of S Central KS target area, while surface winds are beginning to veer. Looks like windshift/low pressure trough currently along Medicine Lodge to Hutchinson line. Still 2-3 hour window of opportunity around Wichita area, but conditions looking less favorable than the morning outlook suggested.

New 18Z run of RUC model ups the ante a little on instability throughout the entire area of eastern Kansas. Model also forecasts 65+ degree Td's for SE Kansas. Looks like Burlington/Yates Center might be a place of interest, but I probably won't be out today. Cloud cover is killing almost any chance for anything in KS today.

SPC issued MCD for all of eastern KS. Looks like a blue box to go up sometime soon!

Well, if i can't get ahold of any of the chasing crew within the hour. Gonna head out myself, Flying down I 35 to wichita, see if i can't catch something. I like wichita to parsons, nw up to emporia for storm initiation. MCS covers the area, but showing signs of clearing soon. Good luck to all.

SAFETY ALERT! Head's up to anyone chasing in the Flint Hills and the CF/AN Counties: Last week's heavy rainfall (up to 6" in many places) still have a lot of roads in really bad shape, either they're still too muddy or are so rutted by rednecks muddin' they're impassible. There are a few washouts around that haven't been graded yet so take it easy even on gravel roads you know. A lot of roads are dried out the first inch or so and puppycrap mud underneath. I know: I had to have a wrecker pull my work truck out of a hole in Lyon county yesterday.

I'm currently in Topeka at work, will be leaving here @ 4 for Osage City and I'll watch what happens from there. If anything develops and moves East I'll chase but if it things develop and run up the turnpike I'll hang close to home and spot for the local ARES group.

The Summer Asphalt repair crews are out in force as well in the area.

Jon Holder

We're on the road now. We're going to stay around the wichita area until the first storm goes up, the go after it. Good luck everyone.

Flooding will be a big concern near emporia. The river there, almost always floods on I 35, with even a brief downpour, 3 people died, a few years back, while a man watched his family trapped inside his car(he got out) float off into a field. Very disturbing to think about. Be careful around that area.

I'm currently in El Dorado (east of Wichita), and will probably stay here until initation occurs, which should occur within a couple hours...

SPC has already put out an MD concerning supercells across SE/E KS and NE OK... No mention of tornadoes, but IMO I still believe we could see a possible tornado or two. We're clearing out nicely, with dew points >64F across the area and temperatures of 80-85F...

Blue box just went up! Basically 75 mi. from each side of the KS turnpike North to US 24, more or less.

The evening has begun!

Jon Holder

Originally posted by Dick McGowan
Flooding will be a big concern near emporia. The river there, almost always floods on I 35, with even a brief downpour, 3 people died, a few years back, while a man watched his family trapped inside his car(he got out) float off into a field. Very disturbing to think about. Be careful around that area.

Actually, that was Jacob's creek. Nevertheless a bad scene.

JH

My bad, i just knew it was around Emporia. Several days after Mulvane, i drove by, and saw fields flooded everywhere. Just a bad area to steer clear of, and DEFINENTLY slow down.

Another area to steer clear of is Wolf Creek Nuke plant near New Strawn. Strange cars with funny antennas and equipment will attract the local gendarmes and KS ARNG assigned to security. Just don't ask how I know this!

JH

Back