4/29/10 NOW: IA/KS/MO/NE/OK

Whatever happened to those LCL's but they're gone....This Storm is SUPER close to putting down a tube...AWESOME structure!

Dustin,

It must be ingesting a good bit the air from the forward-flank downdraft (which is typical of wall clouds), which should have significantly higher mean RH than the ambient environment as a result of appreciable evaporation that should be occurring (considering Td depressions of 25-30 F). Of course, the wind shear should be enhancing the meso enough to allow it to ingest what's likely negatively-buoyant air from the FFD as well. We'll see if it can hold together without barfing outflow; the strong low-level wind shear / e.g. 25-30 kt 0-1 km shear -- should certainly help contain it.

How come nobody is under the >70 dBZ max over US Hwy 36 right now? ;)

Currently elongated cell in Jewell and Mitchell Counties, KS may be the next to go supercellular.

ADD: Yay! I'm 2/infinity on calls today. Tornado warning for the cell there. Velocities really kicked up on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The couplet on the cell east of Superior, NE looks like it just got brighter in the last few frames and is moving toward Beatrice now. Classic HP kidney bean with a nice looking forward inflow notch on radar.

Last edited by a moderator:
things are beginning to squall out in Northern Kansas. Outflow boundary moving to the south toward the developing line.

Was less than a 1/2 mile from a Funnel and CRAZY SICK rotation North of Washington; hard to call it a tornado as nothing was sustained on the ground (pretty confident that SPC report is not going to verify), but for a good 10 minutes it was some of the sickest rotation I've seen on a storm that didn't go on to produce a monster, I was convinced it was seconds from producing a violent tornado. Had to race back to Beatrice for a presentation at our board meeting, just wrapping that up, hope to get some of the crazy video online late tonight!

Just watched the base of the Beatrice storm pass over head, doesn't look very tornadic fwiw...

The Fairbury storm looked so cool it's hard to even describe it. Phenomenal structure.

I got a definite tornado on the eastern cell over Kansas too. Great video of debris cloud on the ground under an incomplete cond. funnel. The meso on that storm was outrageous.

30 mins ago the storm north of nemaha county had a great beaver tail that I got photos of through the lightning. Very low WC on it as well.

AWESOME chase!!!

Tail end charlie passing to the south of Great Bend looked tight for a couple scans. It really wrapped up quick and had a couplet on one scan besides hitting 70 dbz. Trucking east at 70 mph! Wow!

Tornado reported by emergency management near Nebraska City, NE. Several areas of rotation in that part of the line of storms.

Back