4/29/10 NOW: IA/KS/MO/NE/OK

Jeff Duda

site owner, PhD
Staff member
Site owner
Supporter
MD issued for SW IA, SE NE, NW MO, and NE KS. Watch likely by 23Z. Based on the color of the region, I would guess SPC is going to make it a severe t-storm watch.

Dewpoints are indeed coming up with an isolated 60 around Kansas City, but I question just how much more advection will occur before sunset. Also, winds in the area remain fairly veered, so there doesn't look to be much directional wind shear.

I decided not to pull the trigger today for those reasons. I hope I'm right.

I'm going to assume the towers i see going up along the southwestern horizon of Lincoln, NE is not the storms going up in KS. I think I'll leave now and head south towards Beatrice, maybe a bit further. Figure i put myself in the middle of the newly issued Tornado Watch.

I'm going to assume the towers i see going up along the southwestern horizon of Lincoln, NE

Actually, I think it is what you were seeing from Lincoln. That big cell in Kansas is starting to stretch into the very southern part of Nebraska, closing in on Beatrice, and is looking huge on the Satellite photo. The latest radar makes it look like it may be stretching out into a line though.

MD issued for SW IA, SE NE, NW MO, and NE KS. Watch likely by 23Z. Based on the color of the region, I would guess SPC is going to make it a severe t-storm watch.

I hope I'm right.

Well...there goes that.

Meanwhile, the initial storm near Concordia appears to have split and there is anticyclonic rotation showing up on the left member of the split. Interesting.

Jeff, I'll confirm that there was some rotation on that one, at least for a while. I saw it in the storm structure from my vantage point 2 miles west of Concordia.

Jeff, I'll confirm that there was some rotation on that one, at least for a while. I saw it in the storm structure from my vantage point 2 miles west of Concordia.

Good to know I won't be completely wrong about everything today.

I noticed that storm died as soon as it got the rotation. With it's storm relative winds coming from the precip to the east, it simply couldn't survive. Such is the case with many left splits.

Cell beginning to go supercellular in Republic county, Kansas just south of the town of Belleville.

Check out the storm nw of omaha.. wow... And not a soul on it as far as SN goes.

Dewpoint on METARS is 48.. lol

Totally unassociated with the Kansas stuff, check out that little beast in NE Nebraska near Pender now. Not posing any tornado threat, but that's quite a little storm up there north of the boundary!

That storm by Pender, Nebraska looks nice. I don't see any rotation but it does have a TVS next to a notch in the storm on the south east side.

im actually right near Pender, i go to school in norfolk, and yes, its been fun to watch. we had a little rotation but that quickly went away, 1/4" to 1/2" hail so far though.

Been looking at the base velocites on that cell for almost 30 min now. Its been real spotty, just when you see a nice setup for the vortices to show a sign of rotation, it disappears in the next frame.

Looks like new cells are forming from the outflow of the original storms around Lincoln and Seward. Plus the train of the storms continues to develop and go severe back to the SW of Concordia. Looks like its going to a fun evening. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back