4/28/06 NOW: TX

The supercell nearing Rock Springs looks quite phenomenal, there is 80dbz extending to 28,000ft and TBSS on most tilts.
[/b]

Yep, storm near Rocksprings, TX is very impressive. Persistent hook and at 100 kts gate-to-gate shear evident from San Angelo radar. Storm north of it seems to be loosing intensity due to impact from this beast.

I'm trying to understand why the NWS isn't calling the Tornado warning on the storm north of Rocksprings -- it's got a hook and a very strong GTG on SRV tilt 1. Dewpoint depression is only 20 degrees, so I can't imagine that it's *that* high based. Maybe they have an army of spotters on this storm or something.

I'm trying to understand why the NWS isn't calling the Tornado warning on the storm north of Rocksprings -- it's got a hook and a very strong GTG on SRV tilt 1. Dewpoint depression is only 20 degrees, so I can't imagine that it's *that* high based. Maybe they have an army of spotters on this storm or something.
[/b]

Tornado warning just issued for that cell, based on radar signature.

Yeah, this storm has been TOR'd almost constantly since 337 CDT, Ryan. The mystery is why a lapse occurred from 545 to 610. There may not be ANY spotters on it, though. I have NEVER seen another chaser/spotter in that area S of I-10. For good reason. The horrible road network might not be quite so bad if you weren't staring at canyon walls most of the time.....when not driving through thickets of tall trees!

Oops, another *edit*, LOL. I just remembered David D and Graham B and I were all there when we chased 3-19. We actually went through Rocksprings.

The latest storm of interest, IMO, is the one SW ABI. It broke off from the squall line and became discrete, and is now intensifying and rotating. It does, however, appear as though it will miss ABI to the S. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get TOR'd very soon. It will soon be entering an area of greatly enhanced SRH, according to SPC mesographics....already at ~250.

David Douglas and Bill Tabor on on the cell just to the north of Kirville and reporting a funnel but no tornado.

Storm near Lampasas went TOR Warned about 10 minutes ago. Local spotters are reporting 60 mph winds in Lampasas, but no tornado touchdown. Possible golf ball size hail with this storm also heading into parts of Bell Co.

Reports from local news say there is a possible tornado north of Kempner, not sure though if these are spotter reports. They are also saying the tornado may be rain wrapped.

Anyone else watching the tornado warned supercell thats about to move right over the northern Ft Worth suburbs? Any live streaming coverage from down there?

Looking at this from my back porch in Argyle right now...
[/b]

You are in the worst spot, or the best spot, depending on how you look at it....

EDIT 10:27 -
Latest weather service report says powerflashes being reported, there could easily be a tornado on the ground right now, heading for your location....

10:30 -
Right now the location of any possible tornado would be halfway between Justin and Argyle... probably about crossing I-35W. Looks like mainly rural stuff around Argyle but then its mostly suburban from Corinth to Denton near the lake....

Although the storm appears to be less and less supercellular on radar, weather service still has reports of tornadic activity. Storm spotters are reporting a "developing tornado" near Denton. Rotation is still present, just not as strong. I think the chances for significant tornadic activity have lessened dramatically, but one is still possible, likely shrouded in rain near Denton.

Probably posting this in the wrong place- sorry in advance. I got power flashes as the storm crossed I35 just around the Argyle/Denton border on video. Somthing was definitly on the ground but a tree was blocking most of my view from my deck. I didn't get really any rain, hail, wind, etc. Just a lot of CG's and power flashes. The storm has pretty much fallen apart and is in North Denton and the Lake Cities (Corinth, Lake Dallas, etc) from my view point. It appears there was a large hail shaft that moved through Highland Village area and Denton... I'll check my video now to see if it's any good! It appears that most of this area where the power flashes were is rural area with probably some homes here and there but a lot of large warehouses... Kind of nice just sitting at home and catching the action. Hope everyone is safe if something did touch down.

Back