4/19/04 NOW: W TX/ SE NM / W OK

Kevin Scharfenberg

A thunderstorm has developed over southern Armstrong County, Texas, in the Palo Duro Canyon. A tornado watch has been issued for the panhandles down into SW TX and SE NM.

Looks like the storm moving into western Donley County is already approaching severe limits. We'll see if it can turn right and stay in the juicy air.

Storms really going up on the dryline in E NM right now. Very nice.

Wow. That left-moving supercell currently just south of Clovis that split from the original northern cell along the dryline, has really developed a nice anticyclonic hook in the last several frames. Check it out!

Originally posted by Dan Dawson
Wow. That left-moving supercell currently just south of Clovis that split from the original northern cell along the dryline, has really developed a nice anticyclonic hook in the last several frames. Check it out!
[Broken External Image]:http://www.tornadocentral.com/now/anticyclonichook.jpg

Unfortunatley, none of the velocity products are much help. I cannot seem to find signs of rotation in any of the elevation angles on SRM nor Radial. If only I had things set up to view level II in real-time... oh well.

That cell southwest of LBB is very nice looking! There are some aliasing issue from LBB velocity images, but the MAF radar shows the meso very nicely! On the non-problematic scans, the LBB shows a very nice meso too!

Looks like some better moisture is moving into the area of the LBB storms. LCL's according to SPC Mesoanalysis page are lowering to around 800-900 mb, so maybe the tornado potential for these cells will increase.

Satellite imagery shows something interesting about these storms (I think, at least): all are embedded within the cirrus plume stretching northeastward from the Gulf of California - with the exception of the (once) intense supercell just south of Lubbock, which has managed to stay just east of the leading edge of the cloud shield.

It might be a good illustration of the sort of effect cirrus has on instability. Or maybe there's something else at play. Either way, it's something interesting to consider from 270 miles away.

Originally posted by Jeff Lawson
Satellite imagery shows something interesting about these storms (I think, at least): all are embedded within the cirrus plume stretching northeastward from the Gulf of California - with the exception of the (once) intense supercell just south of Lubbock, which has managed to stay just east of the leading edge of the cloud shield.

It might be a good illustration of the sort of effect cirrus has on instability. Or maybe there's something else at play. Either way, it's something interesting to consider from 270 miles away.

Quite possible... It looks like that cell that was southwest of LBB has become a victim of capping. From the SPC mesoanalysis page, the cell is approaching an increasingly capped environment, as CINH is >150 near and to the east of it... Thus the decrease in intensity. I think the same may be the cause of death for other cells, especially as heating wanes as the sun sets...

David Drummond has just reported in with a wedge tornado on the ground just west of Perryton TX

More information to follow.

Thanks Robert. I'm not too surprised by the baseball hail and tornado near Perryton. That storm has exhibited a deep mesocyclone and good reflectivity structure on radar for almost an hour. I was a little more surprised about the supercells that developed along the TX/NM border, but those were more driven by daytime heating.

Channel 9 in OKC just showed a still shot of a large wedge tornado north of Pampa. I'm assuming this is the same one as reported earlier...

Rick

Originally posted by Rick Smith
Channel 9 in OKC just showed a still shot of a large wedge tornado north of Pampa. I'm assuming this is the same one as reported earlier...

Rick

I dunno...I think Gary England may have been mistaken witrh that comment - Pampa and Perryton are nowhere close to each other. The video looked to be right around dusk, so it corresponds to the 8:45pm report time. I saw moving video - this thing was a beast.

You can tell I went to work today. maybe since I'm chasing tomorrow, we can get another wedge with marginal ingredients.

Back