4/19/04 NOW: W TX/ SE NM / W OK

You're probably right, but I guess it depends on how far N of Pampa the video was shot. There's literally nothing between the two towns.

Gary just showed the video again - it was definitely shot before dark.

Originally posted by Rick Smith
You're probably right, but I guess it depends on how far N of Pampa the video was shot. There's literally nothing between the two towns.

Gary just showed the video again - it was definitely shot before dark.

Nice to see you on the board, Rick!

I didn't think AMA issue any other torn warnings besides the one immediately associated with the "Perryton" tornado...? Granted, could have occurred while not in a tornado warning, but something of that size would make me think it was quite evident on radar. Not always the case, but usually larger tornadoes are quite a bit easier to "see"...

Wel, I was right and wrong.......the 2% was extended further south to include a small piece of NE Texas, but the 5% wasn't dropped. In fact, it was increased to include most of eastern OK. I'm guessing SPC also like the CAPE forecast per 21Z RUC. This outlook is much more positive than I expected, given the fact that the RUC has SSW winds across the entire region at 21Z.

Anyway, be back later with my take on the day after some new runs update.

April 19th 2004 - total miles: 780, 13 hrs total

This was the first time out with my new wxworx system and I wanted an interesting chase
to try things out on. SPC had a 5% risk of T's for the OK/TX panhandles.
The wxworx system is something I've waited for for years! My GPS lost it's satellite signal
a few times but otherwise it performed great. It really makes a big difference being able
to see what's developing ahead of you ( and behind you ) as you drive to your target location.
Departed Lafayette, CO at noon, headed east on I-70 and then south on HW287 through Lamar, CO.
Drove past a very impressive wind farm near Springfield, CO.
Continued south and crossed into the OK panhandle at approx. 5:00pm. A line of storms
were in progress in the NE corner of the TX panhandle with a few T-storm warnings.
Crossed into TX around 6:00pm and decided to let the one cell to my SW come to me.
Passed by a coal train in jumbles next to the highway. Looks like it was blown off the tracks
weeks ago. Possibly an earlier tornado or straight line winds?
The large cluster of storms was no to my east with the single cell moving my way at 25 mph.
This one single cell was warned on while it was still in NM and seemed to be part of a line that
had it's southern most cell with a tornado warning on it as it crossed into TX. Unfortunately for
me it was too far south down by Lubock, TX. I gave up on the day in Hartley county, TX around
7:00pm where I got some beautiful sunset shots. Storms continued much of the evening in the
OK panhandle and lit up my rear view mirror for the drive home. Got a nice pic at sunset: http://www.geocities.com/stormchaserco/20040419.html

Back