• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

3/17: FCST: Wednesday in TX, LA and AR

A few notes:

Severe thunderstorm watch #28 was issued by SPC for northeast OK and northwest AR at 5:10pm effective til 11:00pm.

Saying a storm is "high-based" does not imply that the storm is not "surface-based". High-based, to me, means surface-based but with a very high LCL/LFC (whereas "elevated" to me, means the parcels lifted into the storm's updraft are not surface based). So the storms in eastern Oklahoma are high-based but surface-based storms.

The dewpoint depressions are still quite high (20+F) at 7:15pm, and so far the hook echoes and low level shear signatures have been transient and/or weak, so I'm not too pumped about the tornado threat.

Back to watching radar.

radar shows those left splitting supercells rather nicely when you run the loop on Weathertap at the moment. Any more news from people in the field?

A few notes:

Severe thunderstorm watch #28 was issued by SPC for northeast OK and northwest AR at 5:10pm effective til 11:00pm.

Saying a storm is "high-based" does not imply that the storm is not "surface-based". High-based, to me, means surface-based but with a very high LCL/LFC (whereas "elevated" to me, means the parcels lifted into the storm's updraft are not surface based). So the storms in eastern Oklahoma are high-based but surface-based storms.

The dewpoint depressions are still quite high (20+F) at 7:15pm, and so far the hook echoes and low level shear signatures have been transient and/or weak, so I'm not too pumped about the tornado threat.

Back to watching radar.

I'd like to thank the more seasoned weather watchers out there for correcting my earlier errors. I'm not an expert at this subject, but I learn more every day.

Perhaps tornadoes will not occur from these storms, but at least there's some good structure out there according to the spotters. Too bad it's getting dark now.

Dave

Perhaps tornadoes will not occur from these storms, but at least there's some good structure out there according to the spotters. Too bad it's getting dark now.

No doubt these are very interesting storms to watch...I hope someone got out there to take some pictures! :)

Allright boys (& girls), this thread has convinced me. No more waffling on where I want to live when I can buy some property (about a year I hope - but y\'all know about the best-laid plans of mice and men)...I gotta live in Oklahoma! :D

Storms near Sallisaw have pretty good notches. As of 0147Z SRM velocity is showing 45 kt of cyclonic gate-to-gate shear 12 NW of Sallisaw and a TVS. The other storm has 32 kt of gate/gate 11 ENE of Sallisaw but it's a bit further away. No tornado warning though.

There are now 5 confirmed mesos. My Swift WX is showing a nice j hook from cell ID A1. Good luck for those chasing and get a twister for me. :lol:

Don't fall into the trap of relying solely on what a computer software package is constantly feeding you.

Think about it - have there been/are there any current tornado warnings out for this cluster of cells? That tells me something.......
With 45 degree dewpoints in northeastern Oklahoma, it's looking pretty dry up there.....and tornadoes don't like "dry".

"5 Confirmed Mesos" (AKA spinny hoops) means absolutely nothing.

I would be surprised if there were ANY tornadoes from today's events.....but anything's possible and I'm no expert.

Karen E. Rhoden

Don't fall into the trap of relying solely on what a computer software package is constantly feeding you.
I would be very surprised if there were ANY tornadoes from today's events.

Karen, you are right in saying they mean very little. Mesocylclone and tornado detection algorithms are far from accurate...in fact, they tend to be more off the mark than they are on.

Gabe

I spoke too soon. :oops: I would think from what i learned i would not jump to conclusions like that. There are mesos though but i have been informed it is mid-level rotation and i will now be surprised if we get one. I think i jumped to conclusions because i am now suffering from SDS (Supercell Deprivation Syndrome) But 2 inch hail is possible in this storm.

Karen, you are right in saying they mean very little. Mesocylclone and tornado detection algorithms are far from accurate...in fact, they tend to be more off the mark than they are on.

Gabe

I just worry that somebody will actually eventually get themselves into serious trouble sooner rather than later, using/relying on those type of packages with their here-we-come-to-save-the-day type algorithms in the field in a serious, real-life storm situation.

Give me a highway and a pair of binoculars anyday.

Karen.

I spoke too soon. :oops: I would think from what i learned i would not jump to conclusions like that. There are mesos though but i have been informed it is mid-level rotation and i will now be surprised if we get one. I think i jumped to conclusions because i am now suffering from SDS (Supercell Deprivation Syndrome) But 2 inch hail is possible in this storm.

MD 197 is now out for AR/OK. It talks about an increasing threat of downbursts from the supercells approaching Ft. Smith, as the boundary layer is cooling and lapse rates are steep. About SDS, perhaps AMA should identify this chaser-afflicting disease. They could easily identify symptoms, and perscribe some treatment? :lol: What could doctors perscribe for SDS?

Weather channel's Jim Cantore just put out that storm spotters in Ft. Smith have reported 70 mph wind gusts and power outages. Must be the downburst event starting.

what is a V notch?

A radar reflectivity signature seen as a V-shaped notch in the downwind part of a thunderstorm echo. The V-notch often is seen on supercells, and is thought to be a sign of diverging flow around the main storm updraft (and hence a very strong updraft)

Mike

That's exactly what I thought a V-notch was. The storms in AR are expected to weaken as they move toward Little Rock and into cooler air.

I'm surprised this thread has gone quiet.

The storms have merged into a MCS with a nasty lookin bow echo into central Arkansas. A new watch was issued earlier to cover this new threat.
Perhaps anyone there could get some CG lightning shots? What an active evening!

Happy St Patty's Day!

Dave

Back