3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

New Tornado warning for Ray County, MO. No spotter confirmation yet.

AT 912 AM CST...A TORNADO WAS SPOTTED ALONG THE MISSOURI RIVER NORTH
OF SIBLEY. AT 931 AM...THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 6 MILES NORTH OF
HARDIN...OR 9 MILES NORTHEAST OF RICHMOND...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

I think its safe to say this is a decent confirmation for the tornadic cell in Ray county MO. Tornado warning continues.

Considering that I am going to probably have to drive further west later... I will be darting west from my current location -- Springfield, IL -- and hopefully catch up to this potentially-tornadic supercell in a couple hours, IF it lasts that long (will virtually meet head-on with it). It's worth a shot, anyways -- I have been driving for about 9 hours now :lol:

SPC mesoanalysis shows relatively weak MUCAPE, but relatively extreme 0-1km SRH in the inflow environment (> 500 m2/s2 SRH). This could become a pretty violent afternoon....

Widespread 1.5" hail here in South-Central Leavenworth County with the cell that passed through Lawrence during the 8am hour. Also, a brief but significant burst of wind at 8:23 included a 50.0 mph gust reading from a private weather station just west of Tonganoxie, KS

I wasn't expecting a chase day - I wasn't expecting the core of the action to be this far to the west...but am now rethinking a trek out across the KS/MO later in the morning.

Going to move SW from Lee County,IL this morning. I can't believe how cranked up the atmosphere is and the main juice hasn't even made it's way up here yet. Tornadoes with 30-40 F Dp! Whats up when the 60 Dp get into this with the warm front.

This looks to be a major episode today.

Originally posted by Jason McIntosh
Going to move SW from Lee County,IL this morning. I can't believe how cranked up the atmosphere is and the main juice hasn't even made it's way up here yet. Tornadoes with 30-40 F Dp! Whats up when the 60 Dp get into this with the warm front.

This looks to be a major episode today.

No kidding. Just saw some sfc readings earlier for this general area. We are talking a temp of like 42 degrees and dewpoints of 33 degrees and with virtually no SBCAPE! I'd hate to think what this storm might be doing if the temps hit 75, the dewpoint 65 and CAPE hit 2000. It might become a hurricane. LOL.

That storm in north central Missouri looks like a high heel shoe :shock: Velocity couplet is showing up now at lower levels.

* AT 1020 AM CST...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED EXTENSIVE TORNADO DAMAGE IN SOUTHERN RAY COUNTY WITH THIS VERY FAST MOVING STORM. DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED THIS TORNADO MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH. THE CIRCULATION WITH THIS STORM IS NORTH OF SALISBURY AND MOVING EAST.

North side of St. Joe SUCKS. Exit 56 to 53 has pretty deep hail on the interstate. I almost didn't get through there in my Mustang, lol. I guess I should have headed to my target earlier....jeez what a storm(now too far east to bother with).

Sitting in Harrisonville MO, where Mike Deason, Darin Brunin and I have come across Reed Timmer. Going to analyze and make a decision from here.

The storm just to the south, approaching STJ looks mean and tornadic right now. Mike, you're going to have a busy day! Stay safe (but not too safe). :wink: Today looks like a few days in early May, 2003, translated to March. You get behind a storm and it's in the next county quicker than you can blink.

At 10:51 am, storm spotters reported yet another tornado in progress (I hate the term on the ground...if it is a tornado, of course it will be on the ground) in Randolph County, MO just N of Hunstville. This makes at least the third tornado reported with this storm.

Ok, now east St. Joe SUCKS. After sitting in hail I moved east to try and chase the tornado warned storm and the roads got too bad yet again. I stopped and turned back west as the highway was completely covered in hail(saw some golf balls in it where I turned around). Ok, new plan.....stay out of the cores path today!

What I could se to my se did not look like it had much potential for tornadoes on this storm. It all looked extremely cold and grungy...obviously.

Back