2/27/11 NOW: OK, KS, MO, AR, TN

It is showing a hook in the ICT -88D just south of Jefferson. It does seem to be moving toward Blackwell.

the base on the storm south of Medford is dropping rapidly! with a lowering starting to form!

It is showing a hook in the ICT -88D just south of Jefferson. It does seem to be moving toward Blackwell.
Additionally, storm over freeport appears to be getting better organized. And there's interesting radar features showing up in the Goddard area.

Southern MO and northern AR appear primed for explosive development within the hour. Also, an amazing display of dust storm being kicked up over west TX into western Oklahoma via visible satellite imagery!

Looking at the velocity couplet and the storms relative position pretty close to the radar, there is a pretty good chance a tornado is on the ground or at the very least there is low level rotation.

I noted on spotterchat just before the TOR was issued that the low-level surface conditions and upper-level thermo just didn't seem to support a tornado threat. Looks like that trend continues.

Tornado warned supercell moving NE at 50 MPH and is now east of I-35 and along the KS-OK border.

Storm has impressive couplet and core near 70 DBz. Hopefully some chasers who chose the Enid target earlier will have some luck with it. About 45 minutes of light left...

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, that storm just went completely kaput since being warned. Looks like it moved into an area of less instability with greater CIN and could no longer fight the stability.

It looks like we may finally be seeing initiation to the south of the ongoing convective activity in Stephens, Montague and Jefferson counties along the Oklahoma-Texas border. It's also of note for those who may be in the Southwestern Missouri region, that the last SPC outlook update did expand the moderate risk area farther west, including the 15% hatched tornado risk region. I don't usually read too much into those probability regions, but I thought it was at the very least notable.

A new strong storm just fired just to the east of Newkirk,ok. an amazing light show going on here as I am just a few miles to the south of the cell

Robert, that cell is SVR warned for Chautauqua County, KS heading towards Sedan. Nice radar return @ 33K tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back