2/27/11 NOW: OK, KS, MO, AR, TN

Tor watch just issued...

The sun just came out here in Owasso. Cloud cover burning off pretty rapidly right now. Got a text from a friend in western OK, clearing nicely.

Looks like 2 storms are starting to fire in W OK. 1 just E of Buffalo and 1 just E of Arnett. Neither look too impressive yet but they are in unstable, uncapped air. Could be the start...

EAX radar appears to have gone down at 2:49pm.

ICT is down again.

Vance is down for D-P installation.

Wow.

The new cells out from Dewey county to Comanche count in Western OK into SC KS are closest to DDC's radar. At these distances from radar sites it's like we're in MN, ND or SD with everything working fine... Hopefully the maintenance guys aren't on furlow yet... </sarcasm>

Last edited by a moderator:
Storm NW of fairview starting to look interesting. Respectable reflectivities, moving into a more favorable environment...

Radar image from 2219Z shows 64dbZ on the Helena storm and improving structure. Satellite indicates that it is starting to interact with a boundary.
It is moving toward a "picket line" of chasers.
Picture+37.png

The problem today is veering winds, a gradual mixout of moisture, rapid storm motions, and whatever may take root will carry me further away from the farm by 50 miles per hour will likely negate me in chasing today. Cells out W of END look like they are becoming more surface based, infact I have a view of them looking NNW from my farm 5 NW of Piedmont. My guess is we'll be lucky to see any TOR reports here in Okla. because of moisture availability but a few 1" hailers more likely. If cells develop due west of me, I may run up HWY 81 to intercept, otherwise, I'll spend money on more worthwhile chase set ups later in the season. As of 22Z, winds about 190deg. at 15-20 kts. has diminished during the past 30 min. temp. around 78F here at the farm, dews are dropping.

Radar image from 2219Z shows 64dbZ on the Helena storm and improving structure. Satellite indicates that it is starting to interact with a boundary.
It is moving toward a "picket line" of chasers.
Picture+37.png

Had my eye on this storm for awhile...

As it moves NE I think it may get its act together.

Tornado warning to the NW of Nashville, with a new tornado watch up in north-central TN and south-central KY.

Tornado-warned cell has a good representation in the reflectivity... SRM velocities look okay.

Today seems to be the first good test of the streaming video services for the 2011 chasing season... So far I've had a lot of trouble getting ChaserTV to load. Mostly just getting timeouts. TVN is slow but working... So far no issues with SevereStudios. These first few events of the year always seem to strain the public-facing side of the streaming companies. Nothing like the equivalent of a Denial of Service attack with everyone clicking refresh constantly!

Grant County now SVR warned. Starting to show some hints of getting mid-level rotation going... Not a strong hail signature yet on the KOUN dual-pol data.

ICT -88D has a nice, but very small, couplet on the Pond Creek storm on the 4:45pm data.

Looking at the velocity couplet and the storms relative position pretty close to the radar, there is a pretty good chance a tornado is on the ground or at the very least there is low level rotation.

Back