2/24/07 DISC: AR / LA / MS / MO / KS

Well...my buddy was in the area in which those cars were thrown into those trees and he called it into JAN. I supposed they relayed the report the LZK. The area is pretty much destroyed in Dumas.

MOD: Moved from NOW thread since the event is now over.

Last edited by a moderator:
2/24/07 DISC: 2/24 LA/AR/MS/KS/MO

Any prelim. word from the NWS Little Rock on a possible EF rating of the Dumas tornado? Pics and video I saw of the damage was to main drag businesses...and looked to be F2 type. Lots of sheet metal structures. I've rolled through Dumas a few times heading down to the MS Delta for chasing. I remember the Mad Butcher grocery store...:eek: That looks like it took a direct hit.

Little Rock PNS regarding the Dumas tornado is available HERE:[FONT=lucida sans typewriter, lucida console, courier]
LZK PNS said:
[/FONT][FONT=lucida sans typewriter, lucida console, courier]PRELIMINARY REPORT ON TORNADO THROUGH DUMAS AND BACK GATE[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida sans typewriter, lucida console, courier]
TIME OF OCCURRENCE 253 PM ON SATURDAY FEBRUARY 24 2007

NO BEGINNING AND ENDING POINTS HAVE YET BEEN DETERMINED. A
PRELIMINARY RATING OF EF3 HAS BEEN ASSIGNED.
Jackson NWSFO PNS for prelim. damage assessment is available HERE:
[/FONT]
JAN PNS said:
[FONT=lucida sans typewriter, lucida console, courier]..TORNADO 1...CATAHOULA AND CONCORDIA PARISHES

BEGINNING POINT: JONESVILLE 7:13 PM
ENDING POINT: 3 WNW CLAYTON
PATH LENGTH: 16.5 MILES
PATH WIDTH: 500 YARDS
PRELIMINARY FUJITA RATING: EF-2
CASUALTIES: NONE
-----
[/FONT][FONT=lucida sans typewriter, lucida console, courier]..TORNADO 2...RANKIN COUNTY

BEGINNING POINT: 5 SE BRANDON 9:49 PM
ENDING POINT: 5 SE BRANDON
PATH LENGTH: 1 MILE
PATH WIDTH: 75 YARDS
PRELIMINARY FUJITA RATING: EF-1
CASUALTIES: NONE
------
[/FONT][FONT=lucida sans typewriter, lucida console, courier]..TORNADO 3...NEWTON COUNTY

BEGINNING POINT: 4 W LAWRENCE 10:40 PM
ENDING POINT: 4 NW LAWRENCE
PATH LENGTH: 3.5 MILE
PATH WIDTH: 150 YARDS
PRELIMINARY FUJITA RATING: EF-1
CASUALTIES: NONE [/FONT]

Wasn't sure where to post this ... it's a reply to Skip Talbot from the report thread. Skip - that storm you got a shot of looking south out of KC is likely the Holden storm, I'm guessing. Although I'm thinking your view was probably more southeast. It was tornadic sometime after 5 p.m., so I'm thinking that's likely the one. Cool overshooting top -

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't sure where to post this ... it's a reply to Skip Talbot from the report thread. Skip - that storm you got a shot of looking south out of KC is likely the Holden storm, I'm guessing. Although I'm thinking your view was probably more southeast. It was tornadic sometime after 5 p.m., so I'm thinking that's likely the one. Cool overshooting top -

I'm pretty sure that one was still on the Kansas side from the best I recall. I've got pictures of that one too as I was headed back to Tulsa. Once I get around to uploading them, I'll put a few links here .

Yeah that one was down by Mound City KS on the KS/MO stateline. We almost bit on heading down that way to check it out, but had not eaten a real meal all day so food won out. Then we learned of the Holden tornado. :eek:

The more I see about Holden, the more irritated with myself I'm feeling. I'm probably going to kick myself over it for a while. I saw the storm, considered it, was in good position to intercept it, and had plenty of time to get over to it before it tornadoed. At the time I thought mine was as good (or not) as any. It just reminds me that what I'd really like to see is a classic supercell over Republic Co. Kansas on Memorial Day weekend. How many days till then?

I had just headed S. on 169? from Hwy.10 to head home when the warning went out. I tuned into the ABC station and the weather man on there was confused as to why the warning was issued for it. :rolleyes:

The other thing I was wrestling with was knowing that I was going to have to head back through traffic around the new Bass Pro Shop in Olathe. There were lines of cars getting on and off of the 119th Street exit.

It's interesting that Holden happened within the time period that the SPC extended the MD, but outside the MD box. I wonder if forecasters were just convinced that all of the eastern storms were pooping out on radar and were moving into marginal parameters and had no chance of severity. As usual, the way the storms looked on radar vs. the way they were actually behaving were two completely different animals on Saturday. My storm was riding a subtle boundary between a rain-cooled 48 degrees to the north and 51 degree inflow from the south. Yeah - I was chasing a storm in 51 degree weather. But it looked just fine to me. Now that I'm zooming up on the wall cloud photo, there looks like what could be a perfect little condensation funnel hanging there pointing straight down. These storms are weird, but still fun.

Now that I'm zooming up on the wall cloud photo, there looks like what could be a perfect little condensation funnel hanging there pointing straight down. These storms are weird, but still fun.

Would that be the one that had the long tail? There was one N. of Olathe as it crossed hwy 10 that showed a little funnel it appeared

Mike...that Holden tornadic supercell would have been in a prime spot...in the area of the warm front/dryline occlusion with a strong neg. tilted wave coming up from the south. There was another small supercell that was down in the Lake of the Ozarks (Central MO) area at the same time of the Holden MO F1 tornado that looked intense and similarly capable of dropping a small tornado.

Would that be the one that had the long tail? There was one N. of Olathe as it crossed hwy 10 that showed a little funnel it appeared

Same storm, but that particular wall cloud had recycled from a previous one produced to the south. That wall cloud you reference went right over K-10 maybe 20-30 mins later. The photo I'm looking at happened south of Olathe by about 10 mi. or so I'd say. I wasn't noticing rotation in the cloud base particularly, but it sure looks like a funnel to me. I'll post a zoomed image of it when I get back to my laptop at home. Eh - I'm probably just wish-spotting.

Same storm, but that particular wall cloud had recycled from a previous one produced to the south. That wall cloud you reference went right over K-10 maybe 20-30 mins later. The photo I'm looking at happened south of Olathe by about 10 mi. or so I'd say. I wasn't noticing rotation in the cloud base particularly, but it sure looks like a funnel to me. I'll post a zoomed image of it when I get back to my laptop at home. Eh - I'm probably just wish-spotting.

I was stuck in the traffic in Lawerance about that time then........

Back