11/27/06 NOW: OK / KS

Jordan Hartley

A cell has rapidley developed South of Enid, Oklahoma and has grown a lot in the last 15 min. Its following the exact same pattern as all of the other storms that has developed all day and moved out into north eastern Kansas. The storm near Enid, ok looks impressive and looks like it might be trying to spin. Take that back it is rotating. Wouldnt be surprised to see a warning on this cell in the next couple of min. Here is a link to Vance Air Force Base NWS Radar:

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=vnx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Last edited by a moderator:
wow definitely wasnt keeping track of it all day, TOR issued, i like this time of year only because i can surf the web for warning coverage and live coverage

The National Weather Service in Norman has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Garfield County in northern Oklahoma

* until 700 PM CST

* at 629 PM CST... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a
severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado 4 miles east of
Waukomis... moving northeast at 35 mph.

* Locations in the warning include Breckenridge... Enid... Fairmont...
Garber... Vance Air Force Base and Waukomis.

I called it, LOL I was putting my neck out on a limb that was my very first post. I was 4 mins earlier than NWS.

Expires 8:00 PM EST on November 27, 2006

Statement as of 6:36 PM CST on November 27, 2006

... A Tornado Warning remains in effect until 700 PM CST for Garfield
County...

At 636 PM CST... National Weather Service Doppler radar detected a
severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado 7 miles southwest
of Fairmont... moving northeast at 30 mph. This storm is moving along
a frontal boundary and may produce a tornado at any time.

That boundary has been there all day and all the storms have been developing in that area. Convection started this morning and has continued through the evening. Anything that fires up in southern Garfield Co, Ok will likely grow in intensity very quickley until the boundary moves on. I leave work in 15 mins and wont be home until after 7:30 pm. I live South of Wichita. Will be keeping an eye on the radar tonight, something just doesnt seem right with this system. Climate is definetly changing how it operates here in the plains.

Expires 8:00 PM EST on November 27, 2006

Statement as of 6:50 PM CST on November 27, 2006

... A Tornado Warning remains in effect until 700 PM CST for Garfield
County...

At 650 PM CST... National Weather Service Doppler radar detected a
severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
2 miles south of Breckenridge. Recent radar data suggest the
rotation in the storm has weakened during the past 10 minutes.
However... the storm remains near a frontal boundary and an increase
in rotation is still possible as the storm moves across northeast
Garfield County.

* Locations in the warning include Breckenridge and Garber

Too bad the sun sets so early this time of year. I got home (Edmond) from OUN at about 4:45pm, when the storm was west-northwest of Kingfisher. I thought about going to take a peek given that it was showing decent rotation on the 0.5d scan, but impending sunset discouraged me from doing so. I'd imagine that there's some relatively decent baroclinically-generated vorticity invof of the supercell given the T/Td difference along that area of the front, and the path of the supercell seems to be allowing it to ingest said ambient vorticity for the past couple of hours. I'm not sure what's changed in the past 30 minutes, as a Tor warning was posted for it 15 minutes ago, though it looks the same as it has, IMO, for the past 2 hours (and, in fact, I think rotation was stronger 60-90 minutes ago). Nearby Marshall mesonet site is reading 62/60F, which makes the LCLs extremely low, though I can't imagine there's much surface-based CAPE remaining (not that there was much CAPE 2 hours ago).... Per SPC/RUC mesonalysis, I have to think that the updraft is being driven more by vertical perturbation pressure gradient force than by buoyancy / CAPE (~300 0-1km SRH being ingested by an updraft in a minimal CAPE environment along a baroclinic boundary tells me that the VP-PGF is likely a significant contributor to updraft intensity at this time).

Expires 8:05 PM EST on November 27, 2006

Statement as of 6:55 PM CST on November 27, 2006

... The Tornado Warning for Garfield County expires at 700 PM CST...

At 655 PM... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated the
storm 4 miles northeast of Breckenridge continues to weaken and
the Tornado Warning for Garfield County will be allowed to expire at
7 PM.

Back