11/27/05 NOW: Central/Eastern Plains

Supercell thunderstorm north of Coffeyville continues to rotate strongly per the latest volume scans of the Tulsa 88D. A tornado has been reported with this storm, and given the production of the storm near Manhattan, will likely continue to produce tornadoes.

Another supercell has rapidly developed to the south of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Rotation is becoming increasingly evident in the velocity images from KINX. I would expect this storm to become tornadic within the next 30 minutes, given the history associated with the storm to its north.

Gabe

AT 305 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS
STORM WAS LOCATED 5 MILES NORTH OF THAYER...OR 8 MILES SOUTH OF
CHANUTE...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 75 MPH.

Man!! That cell is really trucking!

Now: 2113Z Canadian Co. OKla

What a fascinating system!! I saw what looked liked a low topped mini SUP about 40mi. north of the farm...probably between Hennessey and Enid around 1830Z ..had nice midlevel inflow bands with corkscrewed tower. Lost visual of that after a half hour. Meanwhile, lots of dust that was more mid level..now reaching the surface at the farm (5mi. NW of Piedmont) Vis. aprox. 3mi. Winds sustained 35-40 gusting to 52. Peak gust was back at 1341Z, 63mph. Pressure was 29.35 and still falling.

As a reminder to those watching the storm in Neosho county... Despite what radar reflectivity is indicating, I don't think that storm is weakening. All the storms out there are relatively low-topped, so, as the storm moves away from the radar, the radar beam intersects that storm at an increasingly higher elevation. So, just something to keep in mind.

SPC Mesoanalysis (and common sense) indicating intense upper-level divergence associated with the left-exit region of the 130kts 250-mb jet streak, with 80-100+kt 0-6km shear from southcentral OK into northwestern AR and southern MO. CAPE is still relatively low, but strong dynamic forcing and intense low-level shear is likely strongly aiding updraft velocities beyond what buoyancy could be expected to do.

Warnings finally back on GR3! Good dust with an orangish/brownish sky in OUN now.

The Geary County storm has a pronounced low-level velocity couplet that has developed in the last 15-20 min. Unfortunately it appears as though the main area of rotation is embedded in precipitation, which should make things a little "hairy" (to say the least) as it approaches the western portions of Manhattan in the next 10-20 min.

The supercell that initiated to the south of Bartlesville has intensified rapidly and has a classic appearance (complete with appendage) on radar. In addition, a strong rotational couplet has developed within the last few volume scans. The center of circulation appears to be just over or to the northeast of Coffeyville, KS. I would expect this storm to be tornado-warned shortly.

I am a bit concerned about the lack of instability further east, as low-level stratus did not clear out in time for maximum destabilization to occur. However, for the near term, I see no reason why the Coffeyville storm should not be able to prodcue a tornado or two.

Gabe

Agree with Gabe's thoughts... Here's a good grab of the Labette County supercell, with nice rotational couplet:

http://www.tornadocentral.com/now/labetteco.png

On a different note, smoke from a few fires south and southwest of OUN is showing up nicely on KTLX. Tds in <10 with winds gusting >50mph making for a bad fire situation... But, back to the imminent, severe weather...

Tornado warning just to my east in Neosho and Labette counties now.......

Storm in Neosho county is hauling at about 60 MPH. That's why I'm still sitting at home in Pittsburg, they're moving too fast for me.

SE Nebraska

Just an interesting note: Although instability is somewhat weaker into Southeast Nebraska, any storms with the staying power to make it into the FBY, BIE, LNK area, have extremely favorable low level shear, arguably moreso than across Eastern Kansas.

Latest SFC obs indicate Almost due East winds across the area while the FBY profiler shows 30 kts from 180 degrees at 1 km, 30 kts from 210 degrees at 1.5 km, and 60 kts from 210 degrees at 2 km!

Also, recent low topped line segment intensified out of nowhere east of LNK. Perhaps there is more instability in the area than one thought.

Edit: Said line segment seems to be developing a couplet northeast of LNK at the 1.5 and 2.5 SRM images out of OAX.

Further Edit: As storms approach the cold front, they have taken on more elevated characteristics, and any couplet once present has since weekend with northward movement

Back