11/27/05 NOW: Central/Eastern Plains

Strong supercells should increase during the next couple of hours near the warm front / dryline intersection bisecting southeast KS/northeast OK area. Continued steepening mid-level lapse rates / diurnal mixing will continue to let boundary layer deepen / destabilize through the early afternoon, ahead of the surface low, now 986mb and pushing into east/central KS. While the atmosphere is marginally to moderately unstable, with sbCAPE now increased to 1000j/kg in southcentral KS, expect 40-70kt deep-layer vertical shear to support long-lived supercells... Strong low-level shear with 200-350m2/s2 0-1km SRH across warm sector will support tornadoes with any organized structures, and the possibility for a few isolated strong tornadoes across western / central MO later this afternoon. Slow weakening of CINH has been taking place for the last hour or so... I would expect initiation to occur just ahead of the dryline / warm front intersection in southeast KS during the next hour or so. It will likely be another banner day...

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I am in a hurry. If anyone can do any nowcasting for me it would be greatly appreciated. I have turned my XM off for the season and I don't have any other data options(including my weather radio because I lost my external antennas in Rita). I am leaving Wichita right now heading East to find a wifi spot. If anyone would be able to relay relevant warning and storm motion/location info. to me please email me or send me a PM. Thanks

Some nice cells blowing up in northern Oklahoma. I'm still going to just chill here in Pittsburg, KS and watch whatever comes at me.

Right now in my area (Searcy, AR), there are some strato-cu aligned as bands racing N around 40 mph. Surface winds are out of the SE or SSE around 10 mph, w/ gusts to 20. Vis satellite shows banded cloud cover over much of AR. One may say transverse rolls but these look a bit different. Still, there is directional shear taking place and temps are coming up. Temp is now 65 with a 59 dewpoint and its mostly cloudy to overcast outside.
I'm thinking if the clouds hold tough and limits diurnal heating, the tornado threat will be mitigated a bit. The LR NWS has kept their radar on VCP12 mode even though there is nothing going on in the state right now. VWP from the LZK radar site is showing some directional shear taking place: 15~20 kt winds from the SE and 40-50 kt winds @ the 4,000 ft. level out of the SW.

Dryline has pushed into eastern OK: Western Osage county to Ponca City, OK to Stillwater to western creek county and down to Bryan county, OK. Dews are falling rapidly west of that line.

Just got off the phone with Dick Mcgowan and Darin Brunin, they report a wall cloud sw of marion on the marion county ks storm .

Now reporting funnel cloud on the same storm.

now reporting tornado just north of marion kansas.

Still more interested in the southern play. Cells have developed in extreme NE TX to extreme se OK - areas northeast from DeQueen in the short term to Hot Springs, AR look favorable. Horrible chase country - solid forrest around there. Should see a watch soon.

There was a meso briefly indicated by radar in Marion county. Base at 4000 ft, top 6400. It's not there anymore though.

Edit: It's back!

Jason

Darin and Dick's storm is showing a fabulous low-level couplet, just southwest of Lost Springs. This storm has been sustained for quite some time, and has shown pretty decent low-level rotation for the past hour.

AT 145 PM CST...A STORM SPOTTER REPORTED A TORNADO 3 MILES SOUTH OF
THE TOWN OF PILSEN.

Very nice hook and convergent, cyclonic low-level couplet very near Bartlesville, OK attm. The storm looks to be heading right towards Coffeyville. I have GRLevel3 set to upload images automatically every 4-5 minutes at http://www.tornadocentral.com/radar/ ... I'll try to keep it focused on the best looking storms...

Just got out of the shower and noted a lack of warnings on my GRLevel3 program out there for those small supercells trucking north in KS. It appears that there has been a general short-circuit in many website's relaying of warning details and data feeds - including the major COD site and GRLevel3. I don't know why this is happening, but...Gene says the IWIN site DOES have warning details on it.

Just wanted to make sure the forum was kept abreast of not only the reports that are now flooding in, but also the problems with getting warnings. Don't rely on some of the usual venues for getting your warnings!

KR

The storm continues to show a very nice low-level mesocyclone, with strong rotation just northwest of Woodbine. So far, there has been 4 reports of tornadoes with this storm... Low-level shear is absolutely fantastic invof these storms, with near easterly surface flow beneath southerly 850mb flow yielding 0-1km SRH in excess of >300m2/s2.

Dick is reporting a total of 4 torndoes sighted so far from the marion cty storm.

Back