• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

10/18/05 NOW: Hurricane Wilma

Originally posted by HAltschule
This report from Dry Tortugas National Park:

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE EMPLOYEES RECORDED A 134 MPH WIND GUST AND 13 TO 15 FOOT STORM SURGE AT FORT JEFFERSON IN THE EYEWALL OF WILMA.

Might not be so dry this morning :lol:

That seems to fit pretty well with the advisory at the time, which, I think, was 110-115mph sustained. The 134mph gust would likely accompany sustained winds of 110-115mph, so that seems right.

Though I cannot figure out how to paste the actual graphic, note the radar image for the heading "Ok, now this is wierd". It looks like a "2" in the eye.

http://www.abc-7.com/Blogs/wilma.shtml

I heard that the cold front interacted with the backside of Wilma caused more pronounced winds.

I left Naples, FL on Saturday so trying to get info now that Wilma has passed.[/img]

This report from Dry Tortugas National Park:

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE EMPLOYEES RECORDED A 134 MPH WIND GUST AND 13 TO 15 FOOT STORM SURGE AT FORT JEFFERSON IN THE EYEWALL OF WILMA.

Might not be so dry this morning :lol:

Hopefully they got some sustained winds. Im not sure what they are recording that with but I know there was a buoy nearby that has been unoperational for a while. The small beach must be gone and water must have been crashing against the fort.

Edit: Fatality confirmed in Coral Springs by falling tree.

Wilma has been upgraded to CAT 3 (already) as soon as it moved into the Atlantic. Special Advisory to be issued.

Reports: Watching TV reports on the net and report from mom in Boca Raton show that the area seems like it was hit MUCH worse than any of the hurricanes last year. Many windows blown out and lots of trees down. Damage pictures should be very impressive.

Wilma has been upgraded to CAT 3 (already) as soon as it moved into the Atlantic. Special Advisory to be issued.

Reports: Watching TV reports on the net and report from mom in Boca Raton show that the area seems like it was hit MUCH worse than any of the hurricanes last year. Many windows blown out and lots of trees down. Damage pictures should be very impressive.

Contrary to what you've heard/seen, I haven't seen anything that wouldn't be expected with a cat 2/2 storm. Everything I have seen (and heard) has been mostly downed trees, broken/downed signs/facades, broken windows, etc. I haven't seen anything like roofs removed from well-built homes or any other sort of significant structural damage.

EDIT: I did just see some reports of damaged/destroyed sheds and garages, but again, that doesn't surprise me for a cat 2/3 storm. Stand-alone garages and sheds are not significant structures most of the time.

Re: Local news video footage

Originally posted by Miriam Lawrence
There is video of the Keys waterspout on the ABC 7 website, as well as pretty dramatic footage of the winds and flooding in Naples and flooding in Key West:

http://www.abc-7.com/

Thanks for the vid link, Miriam! Wonderful looking last name you have there as well :)

Pat

Back