10/18/05 NOW: Hurricane Wilma

Wilma has been upgraded to CAT 3 (already) as soon as it moved into the Atlantic. Special Advisory to be issued.

Reports: Watching TV reports on the net and report from mom in Boca Raton show that the area seems like it was hit MUCH worse than any of the hurricanes last year. Many windows blown out and lots of trees down. Damage pictures should be very impressive.

Originally posted by HAltschule
Wilma has been upgraded to CAT 3 (already) as soon as it moved into the Atlantic. Special Advisory to be issued.

Reports: Watching TV reports on the net and report from mom in Boca Raton show that the area seems like it was hit MUCH worse than any of the hurricanes last year. Many windows blown out and lots of trees down. Damage pictures should be very impressive.

Contrary to what you've heard/seen, I haven't seen anything that wouldn't be expected with a cat 2/2 storm. Everything I have seen (and heard) has been mostly downed trees, broken/downed signs/facades, broken windows, etc. I haven't seen anything like roofs removed from well-built homes or any other sort of significant structural damage.

EDIT: I did just see some reports of damaged/destroyed sheds and garages, but again, that doesn't surprise me for a cat 2/3 storm. Stand-alone garages and sheds are not significant structures most of the time.

Re: Local news video footage

Originally posted by Miriam Lawrence
There is video of the Keys waterspout on the ABC 7 website, as well as pretty dramatic footage of the winds and flooding in Naples and flooding in Key West:

http://www.abc-7.com/

Thanks for the vid link, Miriam! Wonderful looking last name you have there as well :)

Pat

Back