10/18/05 NOW: Hurricane Wilma

Found a non-NWS station thats part of CO-OP that seems to look alright at the moment.

77mph /113mph gust CHKF1
A station nearby reported 69sus/105gust

West Palm Beach 75mph sus/94 gust

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
Interesting thing... Miami 88D is in VCP 121, but they are generating new Tilt 1 images every 1 minute in some cases, or at least every 4 minutes consistently. It appears that they're using only the lowest tilts, so scan time is much faster. Never seen an NWSFO set up a scan strategy to allow for 1 minute 0.5degree updates. They seem to be back to 4-5 minute updates now.
There is no rapid-scan VCP (yet - 2.3 minutes on the way). What they were doing was apparently manually restarting the VCP after each 0.5 tilt. I've seen the OUN WFO do this on occasion for low-topped storms. It does, BTW, mess up all the algorithms that rely on complete volume scan data.

Originally posted by HAltschule
NWS Key West employees observed a very intense, long lived waterspout that lasted over 1 1/2 hours. This report was in their words. Wow.

Just to add:
LARGE INTENSE WATER SPOUT ASSOCIATED WITH AN OUTER
RAINBAND OF TC WILMA WAS SPOTTED BY NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE EMPLOYEES...ABOUT 3 MILES WEST OF THE WEST END OF
KEY WEST AT CLOSEST APPROACH...AND MOVING NNW AT ABOUT 40 MPH. THIS WATERSPOUT WAS VERY LONG LIVED...AT LEAST 1.5
HOURS.

They observed a waterspout that was moving 40mph for 1.5 hrs? If so, I hope he had a camera thats just incredible.

EDIT:
Take a look at the Fowey Rocks Buoy:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?...p?station=FWYF1

The NWS in Miami is reporting the Buoy with higher windspeeds than that displayed. Can someone clarify why?

8 am SUSTAINED WIND OF 101 MPH WITH GUST TO 127 MPH AT FOWEY
ROCKS CMAN.

The buoy shows 101 and 109 respectively. Anemometer height: 43.9 m above site elevation, are they using some sort of formula here or just a typo on the gust?

Several of their reported windspeeds for Fowey Rocks don't match up at all with anything.

Originally posted by Scott Olson+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott Olson)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-HAltschule
NWS Key West employees observed a very intense, long lived waterspout that lasted over 1 1/2 hours. This report was in their words. Wow.

Just to add:
LARGE INTENSE WATER SPOUT ASSOCIATED WITH AN OUTER
RAINBAND OF TC WILMA WAS SPOTTED BY NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE EMPLOYEES...ABOUT 3 MILES WEST OF THE WEST END OF
KEY WEST AT CLOSEST APPROACH...AND MOVING NNW AT ABOUT 40 MPH. THIS WATERSPOUT WAS VERY LONG LIVED...AT LEAST 1.5
HOURS.

They observed a waterspout that was moving 40mph for 1.5 hrs? If so, I hope he had a camera thats just incredible.[/b]

Yeah, that certainly doesn't seem right. However, if the 1.5 "hours" was in error, 1.5 "minutes" probably wouldn't draw the "very long lived" comment, so I don't think it's a typo. That said, I'm not sure how you could observe a waterspout/tornado for 1.5 hours when it's moving 40mph (heck, it's in a hurricane, so I wouldn't be surprised it the motion was a little faster). I guess it's probably possible, since that means the waterspout tracked 60 miles, which may have been viewable the entire time if it started 30 miles from the office, moved closer, then away.

City officials in Pompano Beach, FL report 120mph gust on their weather computer system. 9:40am

PS: 10:23am report. My mom lives in Boca Raton, FL and says that car windows have been blown out in the parking lot and that huge trees are down making most roads impassable. She said this Hurricane is worse in Boca Raton than any Hurricanes of last year.

Obviously most of the damage is probably going to be on the eastern side of FL since it impacted alot of the everglades and since that part is highly populated. The tower in Everglades City did record a near vortex pressure of 954mb which is pretty impressive and sustained winds in the mid-category 1 range. Best sustained wind i've seen was 88mph but there have been alot of strong guests from Miami to Palm Beach.

EDIT: West Palm Beach recorded a 100mph gust at 1310z
EDIT: A RAWS Station recorded a 110mph gust

I have seen a lot of gusts in the 110-125mph range, but the highest sustained winds that I've seen so far have been right around 90mph. FCMP towers remained <= 90mph on the 60-sec, and <120mph on the 3 sec gusts.

This report from Dry Tortugas National Park:

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE EMPLOYEES RECORDED A 134 MPH WIND GUST AND 13 TO 15 FOOT STORM SURGE AT FORT JEFFERSON IN THE EYEWALL OF WILMA.

Might not be so dry this morning :lol:

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE EMPLOYEES RECORDED A 134 MPH WIND GUST AND 13 TO 15 FOOT STORM SURGE AT FORT JEFFERSON IN THE EYEWALL OF WILMA.

That seems to fit pretty well with the advisory at the time, which, I think, was 110-115mph sustained. The 134mph gust would likely accompany sustained winds of 110-115mph, so that seems right.

Hopefully they got some sustained winds. Im not sure what they are recording that with but I know there was a buoy nearby that has been unoperational for a while. The small beach must be gone and water must have been crashing against the fort.

Edit: Fatality confirmed in Coral Springs by falling tree.

Back