10/18/05 NOW: Hurricane Wilma

Originally posted by Simon Brewer
Question: What is the record for the number of CAT 5 Hurricanes (in the Atlantic Basin) in 1 year?
0610. 1657N 08209W 03077 5592 201 158 108 108 168 02536 0000000100

2005 with three (possibly four after emily post-analysis is complete).

Intensity update to 175mph category five should be arriving shortly. Also, VORTEX coming soon for pressure update - let's see how much the pressure's dropped since it was last checked two hours ago.

WOW

Absolutely, completely unbelievable. I woke up this morning to a tropical storm. 11 AM she became a hurricane with 75 MPH winds. Now she is a CAT 5 with winds of 175 MPH. I am in absolute shock, my jaw has dropped to the floor.

I shouldnt be surprised, hey, this is 2005...the year of absolute bizarre tropical weather where we climatology has been thrown out the window and tossed to who knows what.

Pardon me while I shake my head in disbelief...I will never forget this year (along with every other weather enthusiast out there.)

Outrageous. 2005, the year normal weather was a oxymoron of epic proportions.

I don't think she's done strengthening yet. Convection still looks very healthy. We're gonna be charting new territories here folks.

This all leads me to believe one thing about 2005, huge 'nader outbreak in Oklahoma in December, BANK ON IT!

Originally posted by Kevin Bowman
the eye is only 2 miles wide

For comparison, the Hallam, NE, tornado is bigger than the eye of an 892mb hurricane.

I can't imagine we won't see winds >190mph. Usually, wind speed changes lag behind pressure changes. In addition, the inner wind-field is TINY. pressure is nearly as low as any atlantic hurricane has ever achieved, the eye and inner wind field is small, and it is still rapidly intensying (so account for the pressure-wind lag), and I think we'll see >190mph sustained winds on the 5am advisory.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
For comparison, the Hallam, NE, tornado is bigger than the eye of an 892mb hurricane.[/b]

Good analogy -- that definitely puts it in perspective.

<!--QuoteBegin-Jeff Snyder

I can't imagine we won't see winds >190mph. Usually, wind speed changes lag behind pressure changes. In addition, the inner wind-field is TINY. pressure is nearly as low as any atlantic hurricane has ever achieved, the eye and inner wind field is small, and it is still rapidly intensying (so account for the pressure-wind lag), and I think we'll see >190mph sustained winds on the 5am advisory.

What's the all-time highest sustained windspeed of an Atlantic Basin hurricane?

Originally posted by Chris_Sanner
Camille went beyond 200 for sure, I'm not sure if anything ever got higher than that.
ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/pub/storm_archives...tl1969/camille/

Look at image 19 and 20... Per NHC advisories at the time, max winds topped out at 190mph. Don't know what "post-event" summary turned up, however.

From the best track database, both Hurricane Camille (1969) and Hurricane Allen (1980) have winds that are estimated to be 85 m/s (165 kt, 190 mph). Measurements of such winds are inherently going to be suspect as instruments often are completely destroyed or damaged at these speeds.
--> http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E1.html

Looks like 190mph sustained is the top for Atlantic hurricanes.

Absolutely Incredible, Mitch was only a couple Hundred miles from Wilma's location in October of 1998.

Historically the western Carribean has produced many powerful hurricanes.

Wilma will probably bottom out below 890 mb, which is absolutely incredible!

Back