1/15/07-1/16/07 FCST: TX

MatthewCarman

Well I just got done checking the NWS and they have winter storm warnings out for the TX/Mexico Border and they are forecasting a winterstorm tonight into tommorow. NWS saying 4-6 inches possible. Kevin_Martin who is a certified met said that 12-16 inches of snow was possible. How rare is it for this area to see this much snow? Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
It happens every once in a while. More likely for that area of Texas than in Central/Austin area, believe it or not. We are about to get 1 inch ice and possibly 2 inches of snow in the next 4-6 hours. Precip coming down now as liquid, but freezing on contact with any surface.

Ill echo what jason said. I think the last "major" winter storm we've had here in Austin was several years ago. We can get a small freeze here an there, but i dont remember another time where we were supposed to get this much ice. I went outside about an hour ago and it had started, so i guess we'll see in the morning how much really falls overnight.

-Shawn

There was an ice storm here in Austin back in 99 or 2000 that I remember, although it seemed to come in in the evening and was over by 3 or 4 am. This event is forecast to be much longer in duration though. I went through an ice storm in southeast Arkansas back in 94 that was a two day ordeal, the damage left behind was severe...hopefully this won't be that bad but I fear it could be.

Well I just got done checking the NWS and they have winter storm warnings out for the TX/Mexico Border and they are forecasting a winterstorm tonight into tommorow. NWS saying 4-6 inches possible. Kevin_Martin who is a certified met said that 12-16 inches of snow was possible. How rare is it for this area to see this much snow? Thoughts anyone?

The warnings that Carman were referring to were for SW Texas and they ended up seeing freezing rain for longer than expected. So the NWS forecast was a little high and Kevin Martin's forecast was way off.

Josh radar clearly shows alot of snow over tx and still winter storm warnings so how was the NWS or Kevin wrong when the event is not over yet? check the WC radar all I see is snow over the western and southern part of the state. As for your comment at the weather vane you had no right to trash my thread man please dont do that to me.

Your Friend MatthewCarman.

Well first off nobody said there wouldnt be snow. I said because of a warm layer there was freezing rain in the area longer than expected. I am just stating the facts, it appears to me like the most Marfa would see is a few inches, not the 12-16 that you posted previously.

I never said anything about Marfa all I said was the texas/mexico boarder could get the snow. Kevin said Marfa could get 6-12 inches not me. I only said Kevin mentioned the possibility of 12 inches but did not state where because I was thinking anywhere along the boarder had a chance for atleast 6 inches or more. I was mainly thinking 6 inches but though I would add it could be more than that for parts of TX. Radar does show lots of snow in texas and even snow in mexico and this event is still ongoing. Not sure if it is amounting to much.

This thread should be closed because the event is already happening and this is a forecast thread so I am dont discusing this.

Please dont trash my thread just because your upset at somebody else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthew, calm down. I was not starting anything with you, I am trying to tell you from the beginning that the forecast you were listening to from him would be way off thats all. Please understand I was just stating the facts.

Josh I do understand and I apologize for getting upset with you.

Back