06/09/05 TALK: High Plains

NWS Hsstings Tornado Reports, also baseball zize hail 2.75 in in their CWA.
0558 PM TORNADO STOCKTON 39.44N 99.27W
06/09/2005 ROOKS KS LAW ENFORCEMENT
DEPUTY REPORTS TORNADO ON NORTH SIDE OF STOCKTON

0554 PM TORNADO 2 SW STOCKTON 39.42N 99.30W
06/09/2005 ROOKS KS STORM CHASER
2 RAIN WRAPPED TORNADOES SPOTTED

0551 PM TORNADO 6 N ZURICH 39.32N 99.43W
06/09/2005 ROOKS KS TRAINED SPOTTER

0535 PM TORNADO 6 SE STOCKTON 39.37N 99.19W
06/09/2005 ROOKS KS EMERGENCY MNGR
TORNADO W/DEBRIS REPORTED

0535 PM TORNADO 5 NW ZURICH 39.28N 99.50W
06/09/2005 ROOKS KS TRAINED SPOTTER
DISTANCE ESTIMATED

0520 PM TORNADO 2 S DAMAR 39.29N 99.58W

0520 PM TORNADO PALCO 39.25N 99.56W

0505 PM TORNADO 2 SW DAMAR 39.30N 99.61W
06/09/2005 GRAHAM KS PUBLIC

0501 PM TORNADO DAMAR 39.32N 99.58W
06/09/2005 ROOKS KS STORM CHASER
MULTIPLE TORNADOES VISIBLE
Mike

Derek Shaffer got 3-4 tornadoes today. 10-15 miles sw of wakeeney. One elephant trunk, to a large wedge tornado. Large debris path. Will post pics later, he said on his way home , he saw 2 more unexpectedly. What a day for everyone.

EDIT-This is an approximation of distance. They had no cell, no radar, just eyes and a radio.

the huge supercell to the ne of lubbock appears to be drifting east southeast into extreme north central crosby county as of 903pm ct, great hook on the cell

the huge supercell to the ne of lubbock appears to be drifting east southeast into extreme north central crosby county as of 903pm ct, great hook on the cell

Nice velocity couplet on that one, still, too. Looks like it's in the middle of nowhere in terms of road options. It's getting on night there anyhow, so it's good that it's not drifting towards any population centers. Looks like it's still hailing like mad, with the VIL pegged at 75+ over quite a bit of the storm's core.

Nice velocity couplet on that one, still, too. Looks like it's in the middle of nowhere in terms of road options. It's getting on night there anyhow, so it's good that it's not drifting towards any population centers.

Yes thank god there is no real population centers near the area not only for the tornado threat but a massive amount of rain has fallen. if im reading this right , 6-7 inches have fallen in the past 3 hours in western floyd county. also cool to see the overshooting top spiking upwards of 65k feet on some of the scans

Nice velocity couplet on that one, still, too. Looks like it's in the middle of nowhere in terms of road options. It's getting on night there anyhow, so it's good that it's not drifting towards any population centers.

Yes thank god there is no real population centers near the area not only for the tornado threat but a massive amount of rain has fallen. if im reading this right , 6-7 inches have fallen in the past 3 hours in western floyd county. also cool to see the overshooting top spiking upwards of 65k feet on some of the scans

Well, don't forget that it's been hailing like a madman with that storm, too, which bumps up the storm totals a bit beyond reality. But yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see flash flooding with that storm.

Really great hook on the storm now -- if you pan up a bit, it would seem that the meso is nearly encircled in 55dBz returns.

this thing is really stupid. I saved the image on cod of the relative velocity image for LBB but if I insert the link, it will only come up as base reflectivity, which updates---bad for what i want on here. I dont know how to upload an image I saved on my hardrive.
Anyways do check out the relative velocity on cod, this stuff comparable to May 3
http://weather.cod.edu/analysis/paulradar.pl?LBB

http://weather.cod.edu/analysis/paulradar.pl?LBB

http://weather.cod.edu/nexrad/floater/LBB/LBB.VEL1.gif

thanks, just as you posted I figured it out, DUH!!!!!

Hey check out BASE 1 now, can we say BWER???
Will someone please post a report.
You cant tell me this thing doesnt have something on ground if not a wedge.
I need play by play here people. My handheld 2meter wont go out that far although the anvil blowoff is moving into the metroplex. Needless to say we had an early sunset here in D/FW

What the heck is that coming out the NW side of the storm on the latest velocity 0.5 degree scans? Massive downburst?

*edit* Maybe it was just a radar glitch? Went away after the next scan.

Latest statement out of Lubbock

A TORNADO WARNING CONTINUES UNTIL 930 PM CDT FOR FLOYD COUNTY...

AT 917 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 13 MILES SOUTHWEST OF DOUGHERTY...OR 11 MILES NORTH OF CROSBYTON...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

THE TORNADIC CIRCULATION HAS CURRENTLY MOVED INTO NORTHERN CROSBY COUNTY. HOWEVER...REDEVELOPMENT OF A CIRCULATION IN FLOYD COUNTY IS POSSIBLE.
Mike

What the heck is that coming out the NW side of the storm on the latest velocity 0.5 degree scans? Massive downburst?

*edit* Maybe it was just a radar glitch? Went away after the next scan.

ya i think its a glitch, ive seen it a few times

BTW

if you are in the town of dickens in dickens county, you might want to start taking tornado precautions

Ryan wrote:

Ryan, there was a similar signature earlier on this same storm -- followed by kind of a new hook propogating on the W side of the storm. We'll see what happens this time.

Also, heard telephone report from Bill Mudd, and it sounds like he caught the tornado S of Hill City, KS earlier. I was a little worried because I couldn't reach him for a couple of hours, but he is safely headed to Hayes for rest.

If this turns out to be day 1 of 4 across the plains, maybe that controversial AFD from Norman the other day was onto something (caveat - Arlene.)

Back