06/07/07 NOW: IA/MN/WI/MI/IL/IN/KS/MO/OK/TX/AR

MatthewCarman

06/07/07 NOW: ND/SD/IA/MN/WI/MI/IL/IN/KS/MO/OK/TX/AR

Storms are firing up in SW Iowa. A strong storm in South Central IA (South of winterset) has a DBZ of 58+ and the sky here in Newton has cleared. Looks like the show is starting. ND and SD have been added to the title.

EDIT: sorry saw the other now thread to late. Feel free to delete this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
New MD issued for ND, SD, and MN.

Dews starting to climb here in IL (82/64) but clouds are still persistent. They are now starting to show few signs of clearing.

Nice cell in Ringold county IA. DBZ of 60+ was with this storm and VIL shows it could be producing pea sized hail. Also has rotation and is tornado warned.

Tornado watches are up for northeast SD, southeast ND, much of MN, all of eastern IA, and all of western WI, plus a small portion of IL and the UP of Mich.

Eastern TOR watch is a PDS.

PDS tornado watch out with cells starting to fire from just SE of the twin cities down to SW of Des Moines. Tornado warning out for ringgold county in iowa, storm moving NE at 55

06/07/2007 NOW Stanley, Iowa,

Storms turning strong to my west (East of Fort Dodge) Tornado Watch #358 has just been issued. Still overcast and windy in Stanley.

I'm having a real hard time figuring out where to go on this one. I'm not sure if I go out and have fun with what's already going on south of Des Moines, or do I wait it out until late afternoon/evening and see what starts to pop up to my NE? So confused!!

The only problem today is I have to work at 2000 CST, so that kinda limits my distance.

I've either picked Williamsburg, IA or Dubuque, IA so far. Now I suppose it's just a coin toss.

I am sitting here in Norman anxiously awaiting eventual development along the southern end of the dryline this evening. Last night's WRF run produced a storm right over central Oklahoma, initiating near Lawton at ~20Z. Additionally, a shallow cumulus field has begun to develop over Canadian and Caddo counties just to the west of OKC, and SPC mesoanalysis indicates strong low-level shear with 0-3 km helicities in excess of 400 m2/s2. Wind profilers to the southwest and west show an approaching band of 55-65 knot westerly midlevel flow, which should allow the deep layer shear vectors to remain more perpendicular to the NE-SW oriented dryline. Hopefully the lingering clouds will help to keep the moisture from mixing out and keep the strong SWly winds aloft from mixing down to the surface and limiting tornado potential.

Right now, the only limiting factor that I see is the strength of the low-level shear in West-Central Oklahoma. If I had more time to get out, I would probably head up near Bartlesville or perhaps as far northeast as Coffeyville or Neosho as a cumulus continue to develop there and the winds are more southerly.

TVS on supercell near Melcher-Dallas in Marion County. The cell is barreling northeast and the couplet will pass near or over the town of Pella in the next twenty minutes or so.
Also of note, the SPC has upped tornado probabilities in the High Risk area to 30 percent in the 1630 UTC outlook. Looks like eastern IA, northwestern IL and Wisconsin are going to be in for one helluva rough afternoon and evening...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sitting in Norman watching visible satellite. A CU field is already developing over Southwest Oklahoma around Lawton. Something to keep an eye on for sure!!

SE Kansas

For those of you opting for a SE Kansas chase today, a couple of items to note.

1) You might want to glance at a Topeka radar loop, as it clearly shows location and movement of a boundary, roughly coincident with the wind shift and dry lines.

2) Interestingly, RUC breaks out precip over the next three hours, but only as far south and west as ~ Emporia, but thereafter shows no further precip in this target area. Looks like the overall surface wind shift line further south and west is much less distinct w/ an overall veering profile, and therefore perhaps insufficient convergence might be an issue.

I'm sitting in Ardmore right now, but will most likely move more towards the OKC area in an hour or so for a better position to catch anything just to the north or south. I'm hoping once things get going I can avoid the OKC area all together, cause the last thing I want to do is battle heavy traffic while trying to keep up with a fast moving storm.

Back