06/07/04 NOW: MN, NE, OK, TX, Central Plains

Larry J. Kosch

Starting a NOW thread since NWS has issued a TORN Watch for MN:

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST MINNESOTA, NORTHWEST WISCONSIN, LAKE SUPERIOR

EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY AFTERNOON FROM 450 PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT CDT.

TORNADOES...HAIL TO 3 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.
Storms are also firing up in NE, OK and TX. Post your storm discussions here. 8) LJK.

REALLY wondering what this storm in NE has on it's mind. Too late and far for me to get to now. Only 25knts or so at 500mb out there, but if it turns more south(which thinking it will) it may be enough. This storm is sort of scarry right now. I'm starting to hope it craps out.

Storm in NE Acting Strangely

You're right that storm in NE is acting strangely. Instead of moving forward, it's sitting there while other storm cells goes piling right into it. Looks like a scene out of Keystone Cops where a line of cops runs along, the first one stops and all the rest of the nitwits piles up behind him.

I can see on the base reflectivity radar out of North Platte that storm south of Ainsworth is sitting right on a boundary of some sort. Other storms are lighting up along that boundary to the west.

The other storm in the extreme SW corner of the state appears to be getting elongated and breaking up.

8) LJK.

This is really gay. First target was to head to Watertown SD. This morning however via the ruc I kept trying to talk myself into nw of O'Neill. SIGH. At least I'm not up in Watertown SD I guess. I was 1 click(whatever a click is) from heading towards O'Neill at noon today. This is how it works though. You pay if you don't play.

Watch it go ssw down that boundary...grrrrrrrr.

Edit: And there is our friendly tornado warning :(

Where's Minnesota??

Looks like all of the storm action in MN has gone AWOL into Canada. :shock: Once again the NWS has goofed up again. They set up a tornado watch in MN and not one twister appeared. And here out of nowhere comes a couple of really nice supercells in NE. And NE had one tornado warning so far this evening. 8) LJK.

Looks like the cap was stronger than anyone had expected over MN, so the early development on the edge of the cap was probably the show.

Larry - your constant criticism of the NWS is really getting tiresome. I'd like to see you make forecasts every day for the entire 48 states made in public so we can be the judge who does a better job. Take it elsewhere.

Re: Where's Minnesota??

Originally posted by Larry J. Kosch
Looks like all of the storm action in MN has gone AWOL into Canada. :shock: Once again the NWS has goofed up again. They set up a tornado watch in MN and not one twister appeared. And here out of nowhere comes a couple of really nice supercells in NE. And NE had one tornado warning so far this evening. 8) LJK.

Larry,
I agree wholeheartedly with Kevin... Why don't you complain about the media who predicted thunderstorm development too? Why not complain about the Weather Channel and AccuWeather that also forecast storm initiation during the late afternoon? Ugh... No forecast is perfect, and when the most of the models predict initiation (at least over ne MN), you should be able to see why the SPC (and the NWS and the media and the other weather outlets) played it the way they did... You go ahead and make forecasts so we can bash them too...

Jeff

Hold the phone...new storms have developed all along the boundary in MN. Keeping the tornado watch may have been a good call by SPC after all...

this isnt the place for this.. take this debate up in weather and chasing please

*smiles*

Back