05/29/04 REPORTS: KS, NE, MO, OK & Northern Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shane, we sat and filmed the "main" Conway Springs tornado for quite some time (this one), and once we repositioned to dirt roads east of KS 49 and north of Hwy. 160, we saw a nice cone to our north. We assumed this was just a continuation of the previous tornado, as it looked to be in the general area it should have been. Note that there was a very well-defined satellite tornado to the east of the the cone tornado at this time, so perhaps that's what you saw?

Honestly, the storm seemed to be spitting out tornadoes left and right by that time, and given the occassional multi-vortex nature of the Conway Springs tornado and all the associated satellites, it was getting hard to figure out which tornado was which - especially with light fading.

Eric, Scott, and I went out to do a damage survey on Sunday, and although we spent most of our time working on the Argonia wedge, we stopped south of Conway Springs to view the damage there. We didn't continue east to look for more damage, so I can't say how far east the damage track continued. We DID run into Wichita's WCM near Argonia, though, and he had already done the Conway Springs survey (he said he considered upping the rating to F4, but since the homes worst damaged were "modular" in construction, he went with F3), and his map showed three different tracks around Conway Springs - whether those were actually three different tornadoes, I don't know.

Oddly enough, if you use the coordinates provided in ICT's PNS regarding the damage assesment, the "first" Conway Springs tornado moved NE, whereas the "second" tornado moved SE. Yet, the end point of the first tornado is within a half mile of the second. The "third" tornado moved due E, starting about a mile or so NE of the end point of the second tornado. On Scott Curren's video, the "first" tornado sits over one area for awhile, and actually scoots back and forth from one side of the image to the other (it's kind of funny, actually), so it's possible the tornado's overall motion was just weird enough that it could zig zag in a way that suggests three distinct tornado paths. Also, I'm inclined to think the "third" tornado may be the satellite, as it's damage track would be about where one would expect given its location in relation to the main tornado at the time. Although, I wouldn't think a satellite tornado would move due east - I would expect it to wrap around the parent circulation to the N or NW. Maybe it wasn't a satellite tornado after all, but another bona fide tornado? Given the storm's overall behavior, it wouldn't surprise me.

Shane,

I was on the north side of the wedge and due to the roads, i was unable to go around to the east. I only saw the wedge and some other funnels on the north side of the meso, one of which nearly dropped directly on top of me. I could have possibly made it to 160 when i first arrived but i had other chasers with me and i erred on the side of safety and decided to stay put. There were a handful,, probably 6-10 other chasers stuck north of it too and there were some locals who didint know what was going to happen next. Anyways i got hit with some large hail and my headlight burnt out but i was happy to see the wedge since i have missed out on many chase days this year because of vacation and work. Wish i could have been on the other side, i have seen some excellent pics of all the naders against the sunlight. Sorry i cant help you on the confirmation of other tornadoes that formed on this storm.

Left Norman at 230pm for El Reno initially. Target the previous day was southern KS but our group liked the deep layer shear in OK better and felt chances were pretty well equal for seeing something just as good. I was riding with Matt Biddle and Mark Svendold who were loosely following/coordinating with DOW3. We made it to El Reno when there were reports of the first cell of the day in Roger Mills County near the TX border. DBZ fluctuated around 40-50 for about an hour or so. The decision was made to continue west with the hopes of catching stom storms firing as the TCU was growing along the slowly advancing DL. Stopped in Weatherford for a data check and then continued north on hwy. 54 to Thomas. Cells were growing all around us and the one near Elk City looked great from our vantage point.

Went through Thomas at ~445pm and then headed NE on 33 towards 270 and Seiling but felt we were getting out of the best environment so we held at hwy 33/270 intersection. The caravan was quite large at this point with two DOW trucks, several chaser cars (maybe students) and the TIV. The decision was also made to stay east of the Canadian river so we wouldnt have to deal with it later. At this point there was a svr. warned cell in Dewey county heading east for Thomas. We intercepted it just west of Greenfield around 6pm. At this point coverage of the storm was dramatically increasing and virtually all FM stations were carrying live reports from the field/air. Funnel clouds were reported as was a tornado in/near Thomas around 630 or so. It was totally an HP storm so we had no way of seeing the tornado from our location near Greenfield. Started to get some decent hail so we hauled into Greenfield, went south on 270 and stopped 1/2 way to Geary to watch the storm explode.

This was a monstrosity of a storm It was pulling in the environment with inflow that easily could have exceeded 60mph at times. Unfortunately, the agricultural lands were dry and dusty so the beast became wrapped in a surreal tan color. We heard the DOW report a tornado just west of Geary so we pulled south on 270 to get thru the town before the roads were shut down. Incredible rising and rotating motion was now very visible and apparently the tornado was wrapped in a rain curtain, althought Matt says he saw it briefly when the meso was over Geary and the rain curtain briefly broke. At this point it seemed every chaser on Earth was converging in Blaine/Canadian county. We then blasted east on 40 then came north again to Calumet. This is where we began to see the tornados. Unfortunately they were not as photogenic as those seen with the Harper storm but they were tornados nonetheless. This picture was taken near (just east I think) of Calumet of the tornado with a debris cloud on the ground according the the channel 9 chopper. I changed this pic to B&W for a better effect.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mostlyweather.com/calumet2.jpg

Also here is a TLX radar image saved at the approximate time it was moving east of Geary:

f662c604ac0237f87d33e03a5de80888.gif

From there we continued to witness the cyclic storm evolve into a nighttime tornadic supercell. We followed it east thru Edmond and ended on 35 just north of OKC when we tired of the circus like crowds (even at 10pm!).

All in all a good day and definitely worth the wknd trip from NM. Would have liked the tornados to be more photogenic like those in KS but we still witnessed an incredible beast of a storm.

I still dont have time for a long report but I did finally get a chance to review my video from the 29th, and the weak tornado that touched down in Belleville appears to have been rotating anticyclonically - it touched down right behind us as we drove through town towards a tornado warning to the north.

My video isn't so hot, but it can be seen spinning backwards, I will hopefully have a clip to post when I can get my son to help me become skilled at video clip uploads.

Shane , this might have been about that area or maybe too west for your location. I was east of Argonia on hwy 160 looking north northwest
time stamp for both of these is 8:47 pm

[Broken External Image]:http://bamlock.web.aplus.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/847pm.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://bamlock.web.aplus.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/847pm3.jpg

I'll be viewing larger vid caps later this week check back at this link later in the week if need larger http://homemyhome.com/160vidcaps.html

A few more shots from the Harper tornado now added to my website.

I will upload full trip report upon return to UK in a few days.

This has been THE most awesome experience in my life. It was the most beautiful, tornado of the day, as far as I can see.
We got on the cell at inception through to completion. We were literally standing under the wall cloud as the tornado developed and at one stage we could almost see clear skies through, what must have been the developing funnel. Almost eye like appearance. Scary but true. We filmed and stilled the entire event. First funnel formed at 1920 hrs and touchdown was at exactly 1925hrs. Final rope dissipation was exactly 1944hrs.

Mark

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Thunderstorms/photos/tornado 1930.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Thunderstorms/photos/tornado close up.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Thunderstorms/photos/tornado chase.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Thunderstorms/photos/tornado 1942hrs.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Thunderstorms/photos/tornado 1941hrs.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mhweather.co.uk/mhwphp/images/Thunderstorms/photos/tornado 1926hrs.jpg

After reviewing my video all weekend, and coordinating with other chasers and ICT's damage survey, I've come up with a finalized tornado count for the May 29 Harper/Sumner county storm. Here's a detailed report of the 14 tornadoes I saw.......(I'm sure there will be some debate, but this is my personal count, by my descretion and criteria......feel free to agree or disagree :lol: )

TORNADO #1
Time - 7:17pm - 7:18pm CDT
Location - appx 7 WSW Anthony
Comments - tornado formed in the rope stage and became contorted, very brief

TORNADO #2
Time - 7:23pm - 7:43pm CDT
Location - appx 7 W Anthony - 4 ESE Attica
Comments - very photogenic tornado formed gradually and lasted 20 minutes, appeared quite strong

TORNADO #3
Time - 7:50pm - 8:08pm CDT
Location - appx 5 E Anthony - near Fairview
Comments - tornado was ongoing when we first observed it and as we left it

TORNADO #4
Time - 8:22pm CDT
Location - appx 1-2 SE Danville
Comments - brief touchdown, debris cloud below funnel

TORNADO #5
Time - 8:28pm CDT
Location - appx 3 NW Argonia
Comments - brief touchdown, debris column noted under rotating base

TORNADO #6
Time - 8:30 - 8:32pm CDT
Location - appx 2 NW Argonia
Comments - tornado was a large, truncated multiple vortex

TORNADO #7
Time - 8:35pm - 8:36pm CDT
Location - appx 3 NNE Argonia
Comments - this large trunk tornado was the first of five produced in rapid succession by a merry-go-round LL mesocyclone

TORNADO #8
Time - 8:37pm - 8:41pm CDT
Location - appx 3 NNE - 4 NNE Argonia
Comments - this large multiple vortex tornado was the second of five in rapid succssion from this merry-go-round LL mesocyclone

TORNADO #9
Time - 8:41pm CDT
Location - appx 4 NNE Argonia
Comments - this was a brief satellite tornado that formed on the west flank of tornado #8 as it dissipated, was very brief

TORNADO #10
Time - 8:42pm - 8:48pm
Location - appx 5NNE - 3 SW Conway Springs
Comments - this was the largest and most powerful tornado of the day, up to one half mile wide at its most intense phase

TORNADO #11
Time - 8:42pm CDT
Location - appx 5 NNE Argonia
Comments - brief satellite tornado that developed on the east flank of tornado #10 moments after it formed, rotated appx 1/4 of the way around and was absorbed by tornado #10

TORNADO #12
Time - 8:45pm - 8:48pm CDT
Location - appx 1-2 N Argonia
Comments - tornado was in the rope stage when we first observed it, most likely had ben buried in heavy precip while mature

TORNADO #13
Time - 8:54pm - 8:55pm CDT
Location - appx 4 ESE Conway Springs
Comments - this tornado was ongoing when we first observed it, and quickly dissipated as tornado #14 was developing north of it

TORNADO #14
Time - 8:55pm - 8:58:58pm CDT
Location - appx 4 E Conway Springs
Comments - based on video and ICT survey, this tornado formed rapidly just north (and behind from our angle) of tornado #13......figured this out after catching it in my video and then comparing notes with other chasers

NOTE The main reason for the lofty total is because I counted each seperate tornado circulation within the sustained merry-go-round meso N/NNE/NE of Argonia. I recorded five distinct tornadoes within this constant, broadscale, LL mesocyclone......three significant tornadoes and a pair of satellites. I debated for an entire day over whether or not to record the satellites as simply parts of the multiple vortex tornado (the 2nd of the three sig tors I recorded from this event), and after extensive review I've concluded these small, brief vortices are independent of the main tornado circulation.......that, and the fact that they were rotating around the periphery at an opposite angle.

weren't your very first tornadoes back on May 12? How many have you seen since??? You've been on fire :shock:

Thanks Shane! I came back home with 8 tornadoes. I owe a lot of this year's success to several factors, including help from chaser friends (namely the skilled forecasting of Dave Crowley and Justin Teague), learning from past mistakes, and a few good breaks that didn't happen the past few years. The Lord blessed me with a great three-week chase vacation and I'm already looking forward to next year.

BTW, those shots of the 5/29 Harper County tornadofest are incredible (Mike, Mark, Stuart and others!). I'm trying very hard to not be jealous! We almost picked that storm over the southern cell. Glad we still got tornadoes out of it, but man, if we had only picked that Kansas cell........

I counted 8 tornadoes on the Harper Co./Sumner Co. KS storms. I've got my chase log plus photos and videos online now. You can find it at
http://weather.ou.edu/~cnuttall

So far the video has aired on all the networks. What a way for me to end my streak. For anyone who is wondering, as far as I know, I held the longest active streak without a confirmed tornado...i think it was 0-47.
[/img]

Hey gang,

I, too, just posted my log with stills up from this passed Saturday! I did go excessive and count a lot of satellite tornadoes as actual tornadoes as well, counting out a total of 15; 13 of which are posted as the other two touchdowns were while driving (no vids).

http://www.tornadoeskick.com/log040529.html

Send me an email if you were on those storms so I can expand the log link section. I owe Karen R. a link on my May 12; so I'll get all those updated soon!

Ciao!

Concerning the Cloud-Republic-Marshall storm ... just went through the video again (for the second time). The video confirms ten touchdowns on this storm between Jewell and Belleville, with possibly additional ones that we did not personally observe. Very fortunate to be able to verify almost every funnel with an accompanying ground swirl on this one. Can also verify the presence of both the Jamestown wedge and another, additional wedge that we haven't heard much about that appeared later closer to Belleville. Our video is able to confirm rotation in the second wedge, and covers the entire structure of the meso at this point, along with a debris cloud at ground level. I've personally progressed beyond doubt that the Belleville structure is indeed a large, mile-wide area of circulation in contact with the ground.

If anyone else witnessed the Belleville event, and would like to compare notes, please feel free to e-mail me offlist. Fortunately we have good video evidence on all of these this time.

UKww 29th May Harper Tornado Video

This is well worth the 4mb download as it shows close up the Attica / Harper stove pipe tornado on the ground. This is IMO some stunning video and the best that I have seen so far from this outbrake day.

I will upload some more video over the next day or so once I get the chance to download it from my cam.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/stu/200405...0529_harper.wmv

That is some good video. About half way threw the vidoe you can watch some tall trees on the right side of the tornado being stripped of their leaves and then the limbs and then the entire tree itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back