05/29/04 REPORTS: KS, NE, MO, OK & Northern Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry J. Kosch

While storms are currently active in the forementioned states, I am starting a REPORT thread for first-hand chase reports. Nationally, we had 72 tornado reports, mostly in KS, NE and MO, and still counting. And I understand we had some serious damage and injuries as well. 8) LJK.

Edited: There were three fatalities and 18 injuries from a tornado near Weatherby in Dekalb county in MO. A total of 91 tornado reports were turned in yesterday. :( LJK.

I have heard 51 confirmed and plenty still trying to be confirmed and still plenty more on the ground as I speak.

Priliminary reports are starting to come in from the OKC area. so far:

Roughly 8900 people are with out power
Confirmed extensive damage to many structures in Geary, along with downed power lines
An overturned truck was reported on U.S 270 in Blaine County

if this storm had move 20mi South of where its path took it, it would have hit downtown OKC. Thank God that it went North.

Collecting myself after an incredible day! I have on video at least half a dozen tornadoes along Hwy 160 (been a magic number this year) between Harper and Wellington, KS. A half mile wedge near Agornia and a dancing quickly rotating storm in Sumner County. Those and a couple other brief touchdowns. Tack onto that about 4 to 6 I didn't get on tape while I was driving! This storm went bonkers! Wow, what a day. Unfortunately, I have heard reports of injuries and damage in the areas forementioned, but do not have details on that. I tried to resposition myself along Hwy. 81 when closed roads cut me off, but found myself in the path of a newly warned cell. I booked north back into Wichita and called it a night! Details and pics (stills) coming soon! What a day!

We are in SHOCK. At least ... we're talking a MINIMUM ... of 15 confirmable, on the ground touchdowns that we documented on our storm ... editing video right now ... will be a while before we can compile this. This was chaos on an enormous level ...

We got two very large tornadoes - both of which could be considered wedges - the second especially, which was only a mile or so away from us, in perfect contrast, and at least a MILE WIDE ... amazing day ... amazing ... going to have serious nightmares tonight.

Bethany is getting hit again right now - very large, bad storm ... will get back with everyone after while. Hope all are safe -

I have heard 51 confirmed and plenty still trying to be confirmed and still plenty more on the ground as I speak.

Priliminary reports are starting to come in from the OKC area. so far:

Roughly 8900 people are with out power
Confirmed extensive damage to many structures in Geary, along with downed power lines
An overturned truck was reported on U.S 270 in Blaine County

if this storm had move 20mi South of where its path took it, it would have hit downtown OKC.

Don't forget the report of a police officer being picked up by the tornado in his car and throw a couple hundred feet! He's okay though! (I believe this was in Piedmont)

Oh man, this storm was incredible! :shock: The inflow was very impressive (several miles out)! The tornado was up and down, and may still be even at this late hour! (Watch out South of Tulsa!) It was also heavily rain wrapped. I hope all that happened was some power outages. I know there were plenty of downed limbs, and I ran across several myself. Heavy rain and very LARGE hail reports. A friend of mine ran across some 5" hail when the storm was out near Thomas. Just amazing.

I'm so glad that it's missed most of the populated areas it's come near to. Very scary not being able to see it, and watching it setting down and lifting back time and again.

By the way - we were on the Republic County megastorm ... at sunset, after the wedges, the structure of this storm became beyond anything I've ever experienced. It was a true beast ... will get some pics up as soon as I get some things done that have to be done.

Just came in from that OK cell that started near Putnam in Dewey county.... wow I am exhausted!

I was on the dryline at time of initiation. I was in Woodward around 3 ish when things started popping. There were three distinct cells, one that I was under in Seiling, one to the north (Woods County) and then one just to my South... that is the one that swallowed up everything around and turned into a monster. I followed it E through Dewey, Custer, Blaine, and Canadian counties. As it crossed infront of me Near Thomas in Custer Cty I could see it was begining to wind up big time. As I drove through Thomas I came across baseball to softball sized hail... WOW! There were huge craters in the dirt on the sides of the road, and trees were shredded. I made a bad road choice which cost me valuable time, and ultimately any chance of seeing any of the tornados, because most of them were short lived or mostly rain wrapped. I did come across snapped power lines... I think on Hwy 54 in Custer Cty. Saw a few lowerings near Calumet in Canadian Cty.

This storm had the most amazing structure. There were two different and distinct, and large, inflow bands. There were also, at times, two distinct hooks. It was like a giant vacuum, and was a difficult one to chase as it stayed in an HP configuration most of the time.

Got on the Putnam/Thomas etc storm around initiation.

Man, WHAT a DAY! This has to be one of the most exhausting chases I and others in my entourage have ever completed. I'm SO glad we chose to go west from OKC this afternoon instead of to our original target north near Enid. We would have been playing catchup all day.

Anyway, watched the storm mature west of Greenfield with several lowerings and softball hail near Thomas. Then made it into Geary where we were met by HORDES of chasers. I've never seen this many chasers EVER in one area. Here we saw our first tornado of the day after we had moved just south of Geary. By this time, the structure was INCREDIBLE on this storm. Warm, moist inlow of 40-50kts was not uncommon. Add to this the dust in all the surrounding farm lands and we soon had an amazing looking HP beast. We followed it east all the way to Edmond. We saw several other condensation funnels including an anti-cyclonic one that was reported to have a debris cloud on the ground. Also Channel 9 has been showing some awesome pics of a very skinny tornado just near Piedmont. We were there but it was after dark so visibility was a big issue.

All and all today made my trek from the mtns very worthwhile!

I too was on the HARPER/SUMNER County cell that produced a large wedge at least 1/2 mile wide maybe larger. I was located on the north side at 70th and Argonia Rd around 0100Z or 8pm. There were many spinups on the north side of the meso but i cant confirm any of those touching down. This was one incredible storm like i have never seen before. The anvil was a good 40 miles north of the storm. The roads prevented me from getting in front of the storm so i stayed north of it until it became invisible due to the hail and rain. There was at least 1/2 dollar hail if not larger and my truck shows it. All in all, it was a good chase, just wish it would have blown up several hours before dark. So far i have heard of minor injuries from this particular storm which is good. I think the NWS and media did an excellent job of warning the public.

Thanks to Scott Roberts at KWCH for getting my report on the air.

HORDES of chasers is, I think, :dontknow: the best description. Holy cow! :confused4:

If this had occured at the begining of the month before most of the OU students left, I can't even imagine! I was hovering around the Watonga area for several hours before the storm came through, and I only passed a handful of chasers, but suddenly I got to an area north of Geary and there was everyone and their dog, and it was like that all the way to Piedmont.

Sheesh, even the news 9 helicopter joined in the mess!

US 160 at Manchester Oklahoma

Picked up on the storm along the Kansas Oklahoma border at Machester. Tornado just north of Anthony Kansas (Post pix later). The distinct areas of rotation on this storm. Constantly produced tornados from Anthony to Wellington. Argonia Kansas recieved some damage. From there on in to Wellington, it was a madhouse! MOre rubber neckers than one could shake a stick at. Remember the threwad about SAFETY?) seems like if anyone out there read it, they didn't practice it.

Anyway, got pulled off this storm at Wellington to cover a storm that was builing around the Nash/Jet area. The storm died just as I arrived in Medford. Got some radio broadcasting in. Now I just need to adjust my bifocals and relearn distance estimation!

Bedtime now folks!

John Diel

We went in a 3-vehicle convoy today, targeting Blackwell, OK. Eric Collins (who was in OK an extra day at my insistance before his trip back home tomorrow) and myself were in his Jeep, my girlfriend Jo and Angie Norris were in Ang's car, and Chad Lawson and Susan Walling were in their car. Upon our arrival, it was obvious we were too far east, but driving west was hard to do because of the crappy surface conditions. Today we'd have to be patient and watch our cells develop, then move towards us into the better air.

After sitting in Medford for over an hour watching cells develop all around the area, we finally decided to target the cell in Dewey Co OK, which looked to be tracking right down I-40. We'd made about 10 miles worth of progress on this intercept (from quite a distance NE of the storm), when Dwain alerted us to a new tornado-warned cell in northen Woods CO, OK. We immediately switched track and turned back towards the NW and this Woods Co cell.

We intercepted it near Hazelton, were the storm had an obviously-rotating updraft base but seemed to be having trouble getting its act together. We felt the storm was a sure bet for tornadoes as it moved east.....and we were not disappointed.

First tornado of the day was weird, began as a horizontal tube under the wallcloud, and rapidly rose into it, as the eastern edge tilted vertically and reached to the ground. As soon as it touched, it began to go "helicial or whatever the term is, as it visually "tied itself in a knot" upon dissipation. I recorded the times via my wristwatch during all of this, but we just returend home and I've yet to watch the video. Location for tornado #1 was about 6 miles NNE of Waldron, KS.

Tornado #2 was a classic, textbook, put-everything-down-and-just-look-at-it tornado, which stayed anchored in one spot for 20 minutes. We have the entire sequence of tornadoes 1 & 2 one tripod, save for about the last 5 minutes of the stovepipe, because we were needing to reposition further east for the next round. Despite this move, we were caught well-behind tornado #3 as the storm snuck in a cycle well east of us as we drove noth to Anthony.

Tornado #3 was a large barrel/wedge in bad contrast to our northeast, and we would've been able to drive right up to it had it not been for YET ANOTHER road closure in Kansas, in the middle of BFE. A small bridge expansion of maybe a few hundred yards was blocking our perfect path east to this tornado....we could see the driveable highway on the east side of this construction (destruction?) but could not reach it. So we back-tracked west through town, hitting about a dozen frame-bending caliber dips. We found KS 2 and blasted north.

Once clear of town, we could see a large tornado to the distant east; not sure if this was a continuation of #3 or #4. In a few days when ICT gets their damage tracks online, I'll have to use those to find the actual count for today. Hit Harper on KS2, then turned east onto US160 headed to Davenport. The circulation was just in front of us to the east, as we made great time (despite a TON of people who seemed to want to drive 10-15mph and almost pull off the road, but then decide not to) getting right behind it. A debris cloud (not sure if it was RFD or rotation) flared up to our southeast, and shortly after a nub funnel appeared above it.....not sure if this was a tornado or not, but the funnel was definite. The way this storm was - I'd imagine it was.

The area of concern shifted to just north of US160 as we continued east towards Argonia. We had trees blocking our view for about a mile, but we could see snakey funnels writhing rapidly in violent fashion, as a voice on the scanner said "you got one on the ground right now." This area kept spinning rapidly, violently, and as we cleared the trees briefly, our view to the ground showed a large dust bowl in progress under the rapidly rotating wallcloud.....tornado #?????.

We continued east to Argonia, where the rotation continued to increase and tighten up. We stopped as a merry-go-round low-level meso spun rapidly, practically a huge tornado. I looked away long enough to grab the map....and in that instant, a huge stovepipe tornado developed, and it was strong. This tornado continued to fluctuate, nearly reaching wedge status before disappearing.....about 20-30 seconds later, it re-appeared (or was a new tornado) and once again, took on the stovepipe shape, then grew into a wedge, then back to barrel, then stovepipe....basically going crazy. Thios one seemingly vanished, and then I saw something I'd only read about on WX-CHASE from Gene Moore.

A new tornado developed, then moved WEST.....rotating around the periphery of the entire merry-go-round meso....we could predict its movement once we figured out what it was doing. The thing would moe west, then seemingly sit still (moving south at us), then shoot east and then dissipate. After one of these, suddenly we had multiple tornadoes at once, all single funnels spinning around the meso, as Gene Moore desrcibed witnessing in the TX panhandle years ago. I honestly don't know how many tornadoes we actually saw....will wait for ICT track map to figure out an "official" count.

The last tornado to form in this vicinity anchored into the main meso, and became the largest of the day, a massive wedge at least a half-mile wide. This tornado was very near Ewell, KS, but fortunately we don't know of any major damage to property (save for a house that another chaser reported seeing) and best of all - no injuries that we could find out.

As the giant wedge was in progress, I looked west and there was what appeared to be a roping out tornado, but I hadn't seen a tornado in that spot. I glanced back there a minute later, and the rope was now a snake, roping out to dissipation. I video this one for a few seconds for documentation purposes, then went back to the wedge, whkich was now becoming rain-wrapped.

We moved east on US160, then north on KS49, seeing either a continuation of the wedge or the next tornado, NE of us and very close, maybe less than a mile away. The road was blocked a few miles north of 160 by a cop, so we turned east onto a crap road and went maybe a quarter mile (as far as we dare with impending darkness). This white cone tornado moved NE as it eventually disippated. By this time it was dark, our only good raod option was blocked, so we called it a day.

We saw at least 7-8 confirmed tornadoes, and there's more that I have to sort out in the video. I'll post a follow-up report once I have the final stats from this amazing day.

NOTE: I was very pleased to see a post from Rocky on here before I went to write this post; obviously he, D, and the Fam are okay, despite a (what we heard was) a very close call. Hope things are all okay with the Rascovich gang.

Wel I was on the huge HPish cell near OKC. I wont post much becuase I saw about what every other chaser & their dog who lives in the OKC metro area saw. I cant believe the number of chasers I saw but I think 70% of the folks I saw were locals out trying to get a peak instead of taking shelter where they needed to be. I know everyone has been talking about the bad karma that the hoards are bringing and today I saw first hand. I am leaning more and more on the side that chasing will be made to where poeple have to be certified to chase. The local police did not seem amused today by the vast numbers out storm "looking".

BTW Kenneth McCallister & Robert Sternadel intercepted an amazing cell near the Aticca Nebraska area yet again with as many as five tornadoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back