05/29/04 REPORTS: KS, NE, MO, OK & Northern Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the delay in posting, but I didn't get home until around 2:00 AM. Yesterday was a day of incredible ups and downs. Started out a little late from Tulsa area around 11:30 (equipment problems) and targeted an area in North Central Kansas.

Arrived in Salina around 3:00 or so and made a data stop at a BP station on the outskirts of Salina. We noticed that storms were already firing and upon heading further north we noticed a tower off to the west. This turned out to be the Concordia storm. By the time we started converging on it, the storm was already well to our north and the television station covering the event stated that the storm was moving to the northeast at 45 MPH! My chase partner and I then made a critical mistake. We chose to turn off of this storm and head back south in order to target anticipated development further along the dryline. (Totally stupid, huh?)

After heading further south, we found out that the storm was moving nowhere near 45 MPH and that it had also back built more to the south. After digesting this news (and pounding my head on the concrete) we realized that we were now committed to storms further south along the dryline.

We drove for quite some time in a southwesterly direction headed back to storms that were developing much further south and west around the Pratt, KS area. After watching some of these storms fizzle, I was thoroughly disgusted at turning off of the Concordia storm. There was one more cell that honestly to me looked rather weak at the time on radar that was closing in on the Harper, KS area. As we traveled toward Harper, I was quite surprised when they issued a tornado warning on the storm. We continued east and then south and spotted a developing funnel. We began to film and caught a beautiful slender tornado that stayed on the ground for 20 minutes. (We timed it while watching the film later). Just as quickly as it dissipated, we had another funnel drop and quickly touch down and it quickly became a beast. As it moved east of our position, I filmed until it became obscured in rain and as it moved off we had another very small tube that developed immediately to our east. It quickly dissipated and then we filmed two more funnels almost directly overhead (one vertical and one horizontal). I couldn't believe the action that we were getting, but I had a feeling that the tornado that we had lost sight of was the real show and as soon as we got back in the truck one of the Wichita TV stations was reporting that a large wedge was on the ground to our east.

This is where it gets frustrating. The tornado was tracking almost due east along Hwy 160. We wanted to track east along 160 and then hook back to the south and go around it, but the highway was blocked off for obvious reasons. We tried to take some back roads using the GPS (unfortunately in Kansas they don't believe in putting gravel on the roads, they leave them as dirt and this made for some nasty driving). Anyway, we finally found another east road (using the GPS) that would get us back in position and as we traveled east we found that a train had stopped and blocked off the road. As a result, we never could get back in position before dark.

Overall, this was an incredible storm. We got outstanding footage and most of the chasers in the area seemed to be rather sane when filming. I would like to thank Tim Vasquez for his nowcasting (he set us right up for the Concordia storm, which we foolishly turned away from - thankfully, we managed to make up for it later).

Report: May 29, 2004 Concordia, KS area tornadoes

The Weathervine crew and I observed two tornadoes between Concordia and Belleville, Kansas yesterday in the late afternoon. At one point, three massive block wall clouds hung from the updraft base, and we had high hopes for all three, but only one touched down, followed by a smaller and more narrow funnel.

We started the day in extreme southeast Nebraska, hoping to take advantage of high helicities from the forecast east winds per the 12Z RUC and ETA. We chased the first storm that fired in Thayer County (again!) and chased it nearly to Beatrice as it morphed and tried to organize. This storm earned a tornado warning and we observed a mid level funnel that was reported as a tornado later. However, this storm was involved in an HP cluster and the mesos were hidden and embedded in heavy rain. We knew about the Concordia supercell since we had good radar coverage, but wanted to stick with the target we'd worked hard to choose.

Finally, however, it was obvious this storm would not escape the precip shroud and we dropped south, approaching the Concordia supercell from the east. I observed both tornadoes from the village of Wayne, while Weathervine was closer to the storm having elected to continue west.

Some images from Chris Collura are here:

http://www.sky-chaser.com/mwcl2004.htm

We're having breakfast now, so more details later.

Brief Report:

Blake Naftel and I picked South Central Kansas and drove up to Wichita Friday night. We decided that, although there was the storm firing to the north, we were going to be patient and wait for something to fire up further south closer to Wichita. Patience paid off; we were on the Harper Co. storm in time to see the first tornado with it. Overall, we think we saw a guesstimate of about 10 tornados, including 2 (possibly only 1; it may have been the same tornado just rephasing; I have to review the video) wedges.

Incredible day! It will probably be years before I can top an event like this.

Tim - thanks for doing that - if you don't mind, I'll provide a link to the radar composite on my web page ...

For those visiting my page, I'm currently getting an unknown error as I try to upload caps from each of the tornadoes we saw. Hopefully I can resolve this issue within the next day or so so that folks can see them all.

We managed to get on the cell between the first and second sweeps you have posted there. The storm went through a tremendous strengthening evolution at that point, and it became apparent that it would soon become capable of absorbing all of the environmental energy from the surrounding cells. By the end - when the storm reached its pinnacle of organization and structure, I would estimate the inflow winds to be in the 60s and possibly approaching 70 in places - it made driving east through them quite a chore. Inflow was near hurricane force - unbelievable ride.

After going through the video moment by moment I can currently confirm around ten tornadoes, with possibly as many as fifteen. For those of you on the storm that weren't sure if what you were seeing was just a funnel, we have multiple tornadoes that had incomplete condensation funnels ... fortunately we were running through areas where we could see the ground swirls being produced - on this storm, with the periphery funnels, it became REALLY important to watch for ground swirls! - In fact, it was life-threatening at times if you didn't do it!

It will be very difficult for the NOAA crews to sort this out, I can imagine ... as even while we were there, it was difficult to keep track of them all. There was one point when three tornadoes could be seen in different parts of the sky under this enormous mesocyclone.

The Jamestown wedge can be seen in the video for at least ten minutes, and possibly longer. It was terribly long-lasting ... The Belleville wedge later was not caught by as many people - simply because everyone was paying so close attention to the clear air on the backside of the meso (which was still quite wild) ... you HAD to get into the rain wrapping to see the big boy, though ... I am just ecstatic with this on video, as we watched it form from a wall, to a small tornado on the ground, evolving further into a full-fledged, mile wide wedge. This then slowly faded into the flanking rain bands which simply got heavier and heavier. My brother and I looked at each other like, 'well, we're NOT driving back up there!' ...

Still trying to recuperate here - should be chasing today as the show is close again - but don't think I can top last night and just zapped right now.

Congratulations to all of you for your catches last night - what an incredible day - have loved looking at each of the photos!

Best regards -

Anyone can use those radar composites for any purpose without my permission as long as the credit on the graphic is retained. Thanks.

NWSFO ICT has released a preliminary damage survey which can be found at http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KICT/0405302141.abus34.html ...

Just to summarize: 7 tornadoes across Harper and Sumner counties with a breakdown as follows:
2 F0s
2 F1s
1 F2
2 F3s

NWSFO TOP has released a prelim. damage survey which can be accessed at http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KTOP/0405301825.abus34.html ...

Summarizing -- 11 tornadoes across Cloud, Republic, and Marshall counties, with an F-scale breakdown as follows:
5 F0s
4 F1s
1 F2

NWSFO OUN has released a very preliminary PNS regarding yesterday's storms which can be found at http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KOKC/0405302154.nous44.html ... This is very prelim., so check back at http://kamala.cod.edu/ok/latest.nous44.KOUN.html for the latest.

Time stamps along with these track path locations would really help......

This reminds me of the Attica day when the survey causes me to reconsider what I saw. I have a illogical bias of thinking that if I see something but can't see the ground, the something I'm seeing must not be ON the ground. Hmm. LOL.

Anyway, since the meso and its associated funnels / wall clouds never left our sight from Norway to Narka, I guess I have some video interrogation to do since this morning I thought we'd seen only two tornadoes.

The NWS uses damage paths to form their opinions of what happened, that's just the method. Because of this, often there will have been more tornadoes than an NWSFO actually, officially records. Chaser video submissions in recent years has helped to close this gap, but in some cases there still remains a descreptency.

Yesterday is a good example. ICT has one single tornado tracking from 4 SW of Argonia to 4 N of Argonia, but there's no damage path across US160 west of ARgonia. We witnessed several tornadoes through this area, and can confirm that these were actually intermittent touchdowns rather than one single tornado. Also, (and much controversy will surely arise from this) I'm counting three, possibly four seperate tornadoes from the merry-go-round meso situation north of Argonia just before dusk. The meso was consistent, but there are three/four distinct seperate tornado evolutions around the periphery of the mesocyclone. I don't consider this one, single multi-vortex tornado. These funnels were all independent of each other, and seperated by many seconds. Some (many) may disagree, but to each their own :lol:

As of this writing, I'm confirminh 10 tornadoes, with an 11th probable and a 12th possible.

note I'm not arguing with ICT regarding their findings, just pointing out that their methods revolve exclusively (initally) around damage surveys.

Shane,

Have you emailed pics or video stills to show ICT? I've emailed pics to several NWSFOs this year to aid in their tornado assessment. It may help, it may not help. Whatever the case, if I have visual proof that a tornado touched down that isn't in an NWS report, I'm going to show it to them... Speaking of this, maybe Rick Smith can give us some insight, but what is the NWS protocol for logging tornadoes? I mean, is it only based on damage? If we have pics of a tornado in a field that isn't in the NWS log, can the NWS officially count it even tho there is no damage? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but just wanted to ask...

Jeff

Shane,

Have you emailed pics or video stills to show ICT? I've emailed pics to several NWSFOs this year to aid in their tornado assessment. It may help, it may not help. Whatever the case, if I have visual proof that a tornado touched down that isn't in an NWS report, I'm going to show it to them... Speaking of this, maybe Rick Smith can give us some insight, but what is the NWS protocol for logging tornadoes? I mean, is it only based on damage? If we have pics of a tornado in a field that isn't in the NWS log, can the NWS officially count it even tho there is no damage? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but just wanted to ask...

Jeff

Well, I have a snakey rope funnel that lasted less than a minute before the 20-minute stovepipe that no one else has mentioned, so I assume no one else considers this a tornado....I do.

Also, we have video of intermittent touchdowns (that we previously only considered possible) but ICT's damage track from 4 SW of Argonia to 4 N of Argonia confirms another two/three tornadoes. Basically, I'm counting every tornado we saw along that 4 SW/ N Argonia track.

I'll have to try and get a closeup of the Harper storm when it was in Woods County since it's not listed as a tornado either(was very short touchdown). Not sure if I have the touchdown of the Rope one that curled up at the end on tape I'll have to watch the other cam tape.

I did see a stove to the east then saw the snakey rope then made the bad choice of getting back on the (muddy)backroads to catch up to the stovepipe to the east. Did see some tree damage nw of Argonia (no gps so exact location unknown)

So far I'm up to 7

The NWS uses damage paths to form their opinions of what happened, that's just the method. Because of this, often there will have been more tornadoes than an NWSFO actually, officially records. Chaser video submissions in recent years has helped to close this gap, but in some cases there still remains a descreptency.

Yesterday is a good example. ICT has one single tornado tracking from 4 SW of Argonia to 4 N of Argonia, but there's no damage path across US160 west of ARgonia. We witnessed several tornadoes through this area, and can confirm that these were actually intermittent touchdowns rather than one single tornado. Also, (and much controversy will surely arise from this) I'm counting three, possibly four seperate tornadoes from the merry-go-round meso situation north of Argonia just before dusk. The meso was consistent, but there are three/four distinct seperate tornado evolutions around the periphery of the mesocyclone. I don't consider this one, single multi-vortex tornado. These funnels were all independent of each other, and seperated by many seconds. Some (many) may disagree, but to each their own :lol:

As of this writing, I'm confirminh 10 tornadoes, with an 11th probable and a 12th possible.

note I'm not arguing with ICT regarding their findings, just pointing out that their methods revolve exclusively (initally) around damage surveys.

My video agrees with what you've said, Shane. I saw more than one funnel at that time, and I would agree that we saw roughly 10 for-sure tornados. I have enough footage to prove it, and so does Blake, so ours is going to the ICT NWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back