03/08/06 NOW: Central/Southern Plains

For all you anticyclonic storm lovers...looks like N TX hodographs are anticyclonic as evident by the very impressive anticyclonic rotation in a storm down there. What a great day so far...anticyclonic storm in N TX and crappy mammatus earlier over Norman!

Originally posted by Kiel Ortega
For all you anticyclonic storm lovers...looks like N TX hodographs are anticyclonic as evident by the very impressive anticyclonic rotation in a storm down there. What a great day so far...anticyclonic storm in N TX and crappy mammatus earlier over Norman!

That's been my observation. RUC mesoanalysis has been indicating (profiler showing it as well) some CAA centered around 700mb, with winds backing with height between 600-800mb. There was actually a decent anticyclonic couplet a bit ago with one of the storms. If the storms are slightly elevated, they'd be ingesting air that would be favorable for anticyclonic mesoscale rotation.

It doesn't appear as though the dryline has been the main source for initation from in southcentral Oklahoma (the sw-ne band of light precip and occassional convection), since the dryline is a ways west of here... I'

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kiel Ortega

That's been my observation. RUC mesoanalysis has been indicating (profiler showing it as well) some CAA centered around 700mb, with winds backing with height between 600-800mb. There was actually a decent anticyclonic couplet a bit ago with one of the storms. If the storms are slightly elevated, they'd be ingesting air that would be favorable for anticyclonic mesoscale rotation.

It doesn't appear as though the dryline has been the main source for initation from in southcentral Oklahoma (the sw-ne band of light precip and occassional convection), since the dryline is a ways west of here... I'[/b]

Don't leave us hangin like that!

Still sitting in Velma, stuff is moving at 45kts to the SE and I'm not too privvy about chasing that. Looks like we're gonna run out of daylight for sure....

I was wondering that earlier when they issued the tornado watch in KS so far to the west (about a county too far).

Looks like a couple of cells have been going on (I don't know how long). NWS in ICT issued a Special Weather Advisory for Neosho County just below 1" hail. One storm just south of Chanute in Neosho County and the other storm is in NW Bourbon County, although that one is weakening to the point of no return.

Update: looking at them for a while, they are trading which one is going to be the strong one.

The Dryline seems to be retreating back westward John, I think they probably are thinking that its gonna end up that far west.

New SWODY1 mentions possibly strong tornadoes in a newly expanded moderate risk zone which now runs about 30-40 w of the I-35 corridor in Oklahoma/KS/Tx tonight. Looks like a busy night of spotting for the ol' hometown is in the works. Hopefully this doesn't verify, as no one will be out to see it anyways and it only spells danger for those poor souls sleeping the night away...

Ah, dodged the bullet again. No daylight tornadoes to worry about missing.

Storms broke, but so far are struggling to go very severe.

My guess is it will be later tonight and further east as SPC says main wave hitting after midnight. Plus at that time there should be better helicity and directional shear at lower levels I believe.

I see that I am now just slightly in the tail end of the new slight risk. Hopefully I will see a tail end Charlie storm with some lightning pass by.

Looks like the main area of ascent is about to enter the target zone, I'd be suprised if we aren't seeing a few storms develop along the dryline in the next hour or so...

The first real intense storm south of I40 today is currently raging in Throckmorton county... Upper-60 dbz with 2.5" hail indicated... Low-level shear is intense (obviously), but it may be tough to ingest surface parcels given diabatic cooling that's stabilizing the extreme low-levels. I'm not entirely sure the throckmorton storm is a smallscale bow echo or a kidney-bean supercell (I vote the latter). Tilt 3 SRV from DYX indicates decent cyclonic circulation in the notch of that kidney-bean reflectivity field. Winds have continued to back across southcentral OK, and the winds have stayed up as the LLJ cranks. Further mechanical mixing may prevent the low-levels from decoupling and help sustain a surface-based convective threat through the overnight hours. OUN highlighting potential initiation west of OKC and moving eastward through central and eastern OK.

LOL That throckmorton storm looks like pacman or a giant C.

EDIT: Nice BWER and huge precip overhang with that storm.

I'm hoping something fires soon along the dryline and/or coldfront. We could really use the rain here in Norman.

That storm down there is getting better and better, with low-70s dbz reflectivities now... I'll only post this pic because I don't think many folks are using this thread while in the field... Nice three-body scatter signature (TBSS) or hail spike evident from KFDR on all 4 tilts. There's gotta be some very large hail with this baby... >65dbz extend above 23,000 ft!

tbss.png

EDIT: False echoes from hail bouncing now extend to the southwest of Fort Worth... That's crazy... I wonder if radar energy isn't taking a couple of trips between the hail and ground given the lenght of the hail spike.

Back