02/24/07 NOW: KS

(1) Purpose of Chase Forecasts and Chase Reports forums. These forums are intended to diffuse real-time information on weather events (thunderstorm or significant precip, e.g. snow) that are about to happen, are in progress, or have happened within the last 48 hours. If a weather event has occurred less than 48 hours ago, you can discuss it only in the Chase Forecasts or Chase Reports forum (unless it is primarily a non-precipitation event, in which case it may be posted in Weather & Chasing). Once 48 hours has passed, this restriction is waived, but we encourage using the available threads.
------

* NOW is for discussing forecast aspects of severe weather that is occurring right now.

---

(3) Prohibited content. Users may NOT post the following:
* Weather bulletins and forecast images, except as brief excerpts, in moderation, and with an explanation of their meteorological relevance;
* Links without an explanation of their meteorological relevance;
* Noise: posts containing only exclamations, salutations, witticisms, or personal anecdote (e.g. "I sure hope we get a storm. Bye!");
* Content containing no information relevant to the topic.
--> SPECIAL RULES: MANDATORY READING

NOW threads should only be used to address ONGOING (or developing, dissipating, etc) activity. In addition, this is not a chat room, so brief comments and short 1-liners are strongly discouraged.

Chances are, anyone following this thread is also well-aware of the warnings and watches in place, so there is no reason to make a post just to say that a new warning or watch is in effect. Posting excerpts from SPC/NWS products is acceptable ONLY if you include original comments (i.e. your own thoughts). We have designed the rules for this forum such that it remains an informational and helpful venue for weather and chasing information.

Good looking cell in Greenwood Co. right now actually has an anvil to it lol. Looks good on radar. Will have to watch and see what it does.

Edit: That tornado warning in Marion Co is the southern cell I was talking about earlier.
There are 3 towers now to the N and NE of where im. The southern tower is exploding. It looks like it has pushed through the cape. Just took another look and by far that tower is really exploding. Looks to be N maybe Nw of Eldorado pushing into Marion Co. Precip should start to fall very soon from tower. Updraft looks like its holding together. The Nrn cell is falling apart.

I just didnt think as soon as the precip would start to fall that we would see it go tor warned that fast. Its like as soon as it showed up on radar the thing was already rotating.

Edit: I think the switch has turned on cause my view to the north is filled with exploding towers to the north. Thing about this type of setup is when a cell like these goes up its already rotating when the precip starts to fall but the rotation doesnt last long. NWS is saying
WHILETHE STORM DOES NOT HAVE INTENSE RAINFALL OR FREQUENT LIGHTNING...A
TORNADO COULD BRIEFLY TOUCH DOWN.
We can probaly expect this all day

Last edited by a moderator:
We're sitting here in Emporia waiting patiently for initiation. Hopefully this stubborn cloud cover will disappear, maybe then we can squeeze out some instability for the storms to feed off of. By the looks of things, I would expect explosive thunderstorm development by 2 or 3 PM.

The tornado warned cell in Marion county looks dead! while the one just to the West looks much better and has clear BV1 rotation.

Edit ~ the tornado warning has just been dropped for that cell. (the east one)

That updraft of the Marion Co cell that is tornado warned has the classic mushroom cloud look to it. I dont know if the storm has moved into more unstable air or what but something has happened and that thing it growing into a monster. Hell I can even see an overshooting top right now.

Here's a radar shot around 1:38PM EST of the Tornadic storm just north of Marion, KS.

If anyone can find streaming coverage of this tornado, please post a link to it.... Thanks ;)

Attachments

• gr.jpg
    gr.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 75
The warning states that it's Radar indicated... however there was a funnel cloud report from Marion when this cluster of cells moved through there.

The LSR of the funnel didn't specify where exactly the funnel was.

There happens to be two cells that look healthy on this one. The eastern one is where I'd guess the funnel report came from. These cells are riding along state highway 15 (K-15).

If you are in or near Salina, go to about exit 260 on I-70 or hang west of there.

If you are in or near Junction City, go to about exit 286 on I-70 (Chapman) and hang out there.

The tornado warned cell in Marion county looks dead! while the one just to the West looks much better and has clear BV1 rotation.

Edit ~ the tornado warning has just been dropped for that cell. (the east one)

Yes; seems like in this cold core setups, one's targeting/approach strategy is quite different from the classical situation. Storm motion and propogation are hard to distinguish from one another. In the instant case today, I would be out in the dry slot and clear skies, with good visibility, approaching from generally the southwest rather than waiting back to the northeast in the "moist sector" trying to guess at optimal parameters setting up later. (Easy for me to armchair at the moment, sitting back here in Virginia watching it all on the computer, but I'll be out on the plains by mid-April, so trying to get in the mode.)

convective activity showing resurgence along leading edge of dry punch in western MO. Report per LSR of TOR with some damage near Holden in Johnson Co. MO, which appears to be less than 20 miles east of NWS office in Pleasant Hill.

Here in Hastings the north winds are now gusting to around 50mph

FYI a LSR report from the now dead East Marion County storm - a funnel closd was spotted - hence the tornado warning I guess.

Actually, that was after the warning was issued. The report came from me -- NWS ICT is using Tyler's StormSpotter.org tools now, and was able to see I was straight north of the cell they had most interest in, so they called me. It produced several small, pretty indistinct funnels. Had a decent area or lowering and rotation for about 5 minutes.

Back