Will chaser congestion and unncessary risk taking lead to anti-chase legislation?

Guys - no. Due respect, but don't do this. Don't lie, don't try to BS people. "I'm here to photograph the weather event" - that's it. Be honest, be forthright about who you are and what you're doing if you don't think it's wrong. The whole "BUT SCIENCE" and "I'M SAVING LIVES" business - everybody sees through these obvious impostures and they are frankly an insult to people's intelligence, law enforcement or no, and that's a big part of our hobby's PR problem.

If you really are spotting to report or you really are operating in support of some university or agency's scientific program, that's fine; but if not, please don't go carrying around some cheap consumer-grade "instrumentation" so that you can pretend to be a scientist when you're actually not. It's puerile.

I am not saying to lie...but 1) science is NOT the exclusive domain of some "government approved" university or agency, 2) scientific models are developed to explain observations of nature, 3) field observations help validate/invalidate scientific theories, etc...Who knows, perhaps some new/modified theory will be developed from the El Reno tornado with supporting video observations from the chasers who were there. As an example from another field, 75% of comet discoveries have come from amateurs.

I'm simply saying that should the government do something as insanely stupid as trying to ban storm chasing (other than regulations that have merit like amateurs not using marine radar causing interference with mobile Doppler, people flying remote planes around storms without FAA certification, etc..), then there will always be some way to go around that roadblock and be prepared with whatever story you want to tell the 'authorities' if necessary (like making observations on the possible correlations of rear flank downdraft/XYZ/tornadogenesis which is all open for exploration at the current time since there are still many things about tornado formation that are still a mystery) - but do not accept such unconstitutional impediments like sheep.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

I would venture to guess that a number of people on this forum have probably set up various 'alias' email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. accounts - is not disclosing your full name on some of these sites "lying"? To me, it is common sense NOT to disclose a great deal of your personal information (as to why... take a look at the disclosures this past week of massive government data mining operations against *all* US citizens (OK - maybe not all, but anyone who makes a phone call), targeting of certain groups by the IRS, etc...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am coming in on this topic quite a bit late here, but I feel I need to put my two cents in as well. I am NOT a storm chaser. I am NOT a thrill seeker. I am a photographer by hobby and I absolutely love storms. So I feel that I should not be getting anywhere near a storm. Nor should anyone else who doesn't know what the hell they are doing! These are mother natures fury.....and she will unleash them as she see's fit. Anyone who doesn't grasp that concept, should not be out doing this. I cannot consider myself a storm chaser because I can buy an anemometer and some other fancy gadgets, put a laptop with a hot spot in my car and go chase storms. You need to understand what is happening in the sky as well, and I don't (to a degree.)

I believe that getting close to a storm should be left for those who are doing research and anyone else needs to stay back. I know it won't happen. But it would certainly be nice, wouldn't it. Closing roads, again, asinine! You are trapping people who are trying to flee (even though they probably shouldn't), and legislation.....well as most have already said, they can try, but it won't happen. To many variables there, no proper way to enforce, and the police and others will be to busy doing damage control and rescue efforts to worry about chasers.

Just my opinions.

Well I am coming in on this topic quite a bit late here, but I feel I need to put my two cents in as well. I am NOT a storm chaser. I am NOT a thrill seeker.

I hope you know you that the "thrill" for most storm chasers is much more than an adrenaline rush. It's more a satisfaction in seeing and trying to know more about Mother Nature's ways. Being thrilled about accomplishing that is no vice. And storm researchers who isn't as giddy as little girls about a successful chase and a new data set probably needs a sabbatical.

I am a photographer by hobby and I absolutely love storms. So I feel that I should not be getting anywhere near a storm. Nor should anyone else who doesn't know what the hell they are doing! These are mother natures fury.....and she will unleash them as she see's fit. Anyone who doesn't grasp that concept, should not be out doing this.

Absolutely agreed!

I cannot consider myself a storm chaser because I can buy an anemometer and some other fancy gadgets, put a laptop with a hot spot in my car and go chase storms. You need to understand what is happening in the sky as well, and I don't (to a degree.)

Your knowledge level can change, Grasshopper. :)

I believe that getting close to a storm should be left for those who are doing research and anyone else needs to stay back. I know it won't happen. But it would certainly be nice, wouldn't it.

It should be left to people who can think quickly and well, all the while remaining a cool customer under fire. They possess excellent situational awareness. They get the hell out of the way of public safety personnel doing their jobs. Maybe bring them coffee, water and snacks. Donate money to relief aid. (donating blood is always a good thing, but remember it may not go to storm victims. That's okay, blood used for accidents and surgeries is still nobly used.)

I am not saying to lie...but 1) science is NOT the exclusive domain of some "government approved" university or agency, 2) scientific models are developed to explain observations of nature, 3) field observations help validate/invalidate scientific theories, etc...Who knows, perhaps some new/modified theory will be developed from the El Reno tornado with supporting video observations from the chasers who were there. As an example from another field, 75% of comet discoveries have come from amateurs.

Granted; but even so, you still can't call whatever you're doing science by default just because you might end up catching something interesting on video. When your chases are over, do you submit your video to the NWS or the local university, or do you put it up on YouTube? Are you using standardized instruments that the local met department or the NWS has said they'll accept data from, or are you just going online and buying what looks neat or is most cost effective for you?

Amateurs can certainly contribute to science, but there's rules. Buying a Kestrel and taking it with you on a chase is not "science"; and scientists don't get to pass LEO roadblocks any faster than amateurs.

Back