Which is your best chase of 2004?

This was the first year I finally had the time and money to chase the plains, and boy did it pay off in spades. We were out from 5/18-5/28 in celebration of our college graduation, and the top three were:

1) May 24th - 10-12 (lost count) tornadoes in S. NE/N. KS (avatar is two tornadoes from that day)
2) May 22nd- Hallam, NE wedge and fun/tense night in Beatrice
3) May 21st - Targeted Norfolk, NE (bit on northern cell), nice wall and possible tornado just after dark

All through it, I couldn't believe how well our target forecasting was paying off.

I'm still astounded by what a great trip it was. It's not often you get to write in a new #1 on the "greatest days of my life" list.

Very tough call ... the year was unbelievable. For me, it's probably a tie between May 22nd (Hallam), May 24th (NW Missouri), and May 29th (Jamestown-Belleville). Lots of wildness ... several intense encounters ... and some of the most beautiful skies I've seen.

I feel so small when I compare my best chase with your best chases; a strong multicell storm with a beautiful rollcloud.Please don't laugh :cry: LOL

The season is not entirely over though so there's still hope. :)

Simon *Keeping his fingers crossed*

June 11 Iowa was the best for me so far this year.

First chase across the Mississippi from OH. The action looked too good for two consecutive days, nebraska on June 10, Iowa on the 11'th. Missed the action in Nebraska but caught the FT Dodge tornadoes in Iowa.

Watched that storm grow and was about to give up and head North when the first funnel formed roped out and touched down W of Ft dodge.

My first Tornadoes so for now the best !

Nice thing about that storm was that we stayed out of the rain and hail.
2,500 miles in a few days but worth every cent of gas. Met a few other chasers in nebraska and Iowa. Nice folks.

May 12th for me...after two previous days of seeing a whole lot of nothin' (and missing the tornadofest in CO on the 10th) that day made the trip all worthwhile.

Most favorite chases of 2004 were:
Note: All two are hurricane related chases.

September 5
Frances

and September 26
Jeanne

Other favorites include June 27, August 25, and August 30th. I have others but I can't remember them.
Note: All three dates were summertime evening storms

Back