Want to make DVDs?

Mike Hollingshead

BEFORE you buy any authoring programs, etc, do yourself a favor and read about some of them as MOST of them are full of fun problems. I know, I've got probably 8 or 9 various aps to do the job and they all have their own set of problems.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=2#2

USE THAT(above url) ahead of time. It lists many of them and has comments under each. Then.....

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=181#comments

I used this early on when I was trying to learn all this stuff. It(TMPGE) was the ONLY thing that ever encoded to mpeg2 worth a crap. And honestly it still would be if I had it as none of these others are doing it right and at a small enough size. Problem was the only burning software I had at the time insisted on re-encoding it and therefor ruining it's usefullness. I know more about burning now and have hopes this will finally be the light at the end of this long long tunnel. It's encodes were so smooth(like you picture a dvd being!). I can't wait to try it again and get it onto a DVD for once. Best of all????? This is FREEEEEEEEE. See below. Free and it's reviews SMOKE most the others(nero, ulead, pinnacle, neo...etc, etc, etc).

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda...16_license.html

TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 online version can be used for free during the evaluation period. After the evaluation period, this software does not work without a valid serial number. We do not provide user support services for the free evaluation copy of TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 online version. Users who have purchased a serial number (license) can receive user support services by E-mail.

Have all your files captured and ready(edited) and dl this version and bang!!!! I hope anyway. Some of these other programs encode your video to mpeg so horribly it's not funny. Read the comments under the various aps.

Mike

If you can make it through the editing stage, Pinnacle does a good job with DVD authoring/burning. Its DVD menu capabilities are pretty nice.

Pinnacle does OK with simple edits, but once you start a big complex video with lots of tracks and effects, look out for some crashing and corrupt projects. The latest patches have helped the bugs significantly but crashes are still a problem with big projects.

A couple of things I didn't realize with DVD authoring is:

#1.) Rendering the final mpeg-4 for a full-length DVD can take 6 hours or more. This isn't a bug, it really does take that long. Make sure you are happy with the final product before rendering.

#2.) Blank DVDs are expensive, averaging $2 each. Be careful before committing to giving a bunch of them out.

Side note with video editing: Save your project early and often when editing your video. Save every time you perform any big action and every few steps. Save with a new filename every time (chasevid1, chasevid2, chasevid45, etc). That way if chasevid68 gets corrupted, you just open chasevid67 and pick up where you left off.

If your serious about your work youll buy VEGAS 5.0.. second to none.. although its about 600 or 700$
I just cant say enough about this software... : )

I use to do alot of VCD/SVCD encoding and found that TMPG ENC was the best you could get, but did take some learning. If you really want to spice up your dvds you could use a graphics software like Photoshop or even Macromedia Flash and make DVD intros and animated menus. I have not done this for a long time but last time i did i made an Inzader Zim DVD that was decent.

Mike,

I downloaded the software you linked above, but you recommend already having everything encoded into the MGEG format.

Do you use something different to encode (i.e. Premiere). If so, what is it and what do you encode it to (settings and such).

Thanks,
Tony

Thought I would resurrect this thread as I had a question on one of the apps mentioned at the above link that Mike provided.

Any one have any thoughts or experience with Pinnacle Studio? This looks like decent overall software that includes capture capability as well as authoring and it doesn't cost an arm and leg. Also, does TMPG have the ability to capture video from USB source? From what I have read it does not appear so.

Thanks.

I know many use pinnacle studio. It is a lower end app. But if your not doing work that your going to premier at the next film festival Im sure pinnacle should suit you just fine.

Again I reccomend you use VEGAS.. It is the highest ended software you will find with the shortest learning curve. IMO

Copies are easy to come by inexpensively.. Let me know if anyone needs help...

Fred.

Originally posted by fplowman
I know many use pinnacle studio. It is a lower end app. But if your not doing work that your going to premier at the next film festival Im sure pinnacle should suit you just fine.

Again I reccomend you use VEGAS.. It is the highest ended software you will find with the shortest learning curve. IMO

Copies are easy to come by inexpensively.. Let me know if anyone needs help...

Fred.

Hmmm I guess my release of Star Wars alternative thats sure to shame George Lucas will have to wait till I can afford a $749.96 retail price :p :lol: (just kidding)

Seriously though, $749 is pretty steep for my wallet, and probably my footage as well. How much cheaper can it be had for? I'm just looking for something that can capture, do basic edits, and burn to DVD in a format that will play on standard DVD player.

TMPG looks like an a decent option, but I didn't see where it would capture video via USB or firewire. From what I read it wants video in AVI format already? Mike, anyone? Anyone have any complaints about Pinnacle?

I'm guessing this venue is much like other things where you can as many different views as there are opinions so I guess I wont really know till I try it. BUT, For a hundred bucks Pinnacle seems like a fair product provided it works as advertised.

I don't like how pinnacle does timelapse. For whatever reason it gives you visible grids/bars on your video during those. I guess that is my only gripe on it, but it is a fairly big one. TMPGEnc I think has other aps you can do capture and stuff with. I only use it to encode and author. I'm looking at getting adobe premiere pro 1.5. I am not sure how much better vegas could be than that program. I think I found it commonly on ebay new for $250.

http://search.ebay.com/adobe-premiere-pro-...ereQ20proQ201.5

Seriously, consider a Mac Mini...

If you are into video editing and DVD burning, and have a basic PC system now, you should seriously consider a Mac Mini. At $499, you use your existing monitor, mouse and keyboard. Add the SuperDrive for $100 to have DVD and CD burning capability. It includes the iLife suite, which includes iMovie HD (which is a wonderfully powerful and easy to use video editing environment) and iDVD 5 which makes burning DVDs cake. If you want more than iMovie in the way of video editing, consider Final Cut Express, the little sister of Final Cut Pro (used by Hollywood). Frankly, I think few of us will ever use all of the capabilities in iMovie, let alone the others.

If you can wait until the end of the month you should be able to order it with Apple's new "Tiger" OS X system software, which will be the cat's meow. (Sorry 'bout that one).

Darren Addy
Apple Evangelist :p
Kearney, NE

I just profess Vegas software because its mediocre and its just an opinion..

Really though I profess Vegas software because Im amazed at its end to end solution, Rock solid stability, Its cult following (great product).. I can go on and on.

Im not working for these guys. But I have logged several hundred hours editing with Vegas and it continues to astound me with its software only end to end capability, along with its professional audio and color correcting toolset among others.. ie DVD architect. etc... smooth interface no BS..

Those who learn Vegas stay with Vegas.... lol

YMMV My 2c

Well, here's how I did my highlights DVD this past year:

1. Capture, edit, and output (as AVI) each chase segment with Roxio VideoWave Movie Creator
2. Use TMPGEnc to convect AVIs into elementary streams
3. Use DVD Lab to encode (e.g. into VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, etc) and burn video onto DVD.

I also used Nero to actually burn the video onto the DVD, but it's been a while so I can't remember if Nero or DVDLab worked better. Overall, this was a very time-consuming process, but it was also my first time making such a video, so there was a LOT of trial and error in figuring out just what to do and how to do it...

I've said it before and I'll say it again...do not touch Pinnacle Studio with a 10-foot pole! Faster than you can contact tech support or download the newest patch, it WILL find another way to **** up and prevent your DVD project from working properly!

I'm now on my fourth version of the software and it still doesn't burn DVDs properly...or even render projects for output to tape properly. If the rendering doesn't freeze up, the audio and video will be out of sync on the resulting DVD, making it look like a cheap Asian anime film. Or, the chapters on the disk will be thrown all out of order, with sections of video missing, even though the project plays back fine in the program. :evil:

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle
I've said it before and I'll say it again...do not touch Pinnacle Studio with a 10-foot pole! Faster than you can contact tech support or download the newest patch, it WILL find another way to **** up and prevent your DVD project from working properly!

I'm now on my fourth version of the software and it still doesn't burn DVDs properly...or even render projects for output to tape properly. If the rendering doesn't freeze up, the audio and video will be out of sync on the resulting DVD, making it look like a cheap Asian anime film. Or, the chapters on the disk will be thrown all out of order, with sections of video missing, even though the project plays back fine in the program. :evil:

Certainly not the sort of thing I like to hear before taking the plunge. To be fair, others have said this software works good. I'm wondering if perhaps a system combination/Pinnacle might be causing issues for you Andy? Might not really be able to answer that either I suppose.

I must admit this is getting rather frustrating to decide on what to choose. I would really prefer not to spend several hundred dollars on software. (I'd rather spend that kind of money on better educating myself on weather and forcasting.) I just want something that will capture video via USB/firewire, and allow me to do basic edits, import mp3's, and burn to DVD that will play on a standard DVD player.....Oh...and work more than half the time. :lol:

I guess I should just install the trial TMPG and see what its capable of.

Back