• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Cheap chasing setup

Disclaimer: This is the least expensive yet somewhat effective setup for people on the cheap. I would not rely on all these and would always have a backup plan. This also does not include safety equipment, even though having some is strongly recommended and almost necessary.

Radar Scope (no pro) [$9.99 one time]: Easy, user friendly, and gets straight to the radar data. Pro is optional and would only recommend buying monthly if you only use it during the storm season.

GRLevel3 (optional) [$79.95]: If your looking to use a laptop for chasing this is what I recommend. Chances are you have heard of Gibson Ridge, and they live up to their name. This is a extremely well made program for viewing level 3 radar data, and it is easy to use on the go. This program is user friendly, fast, and quite inexpensive, compared to other radar programs out there for PC.

Nikon COOLPIX A10 Accessory Kit [$109.58]: Don't shake it until you try it. 16.1 megapixel camera can get some good quality shots. It also includes everything you need to take photos including SD cards, batteries, and cleaning tools. It's not a DSLR camera but it will get the job done. And frankly any spare camera around your home should work including a phone camera, and will save you a good portion of money. With this budget, don't expect to shoot National Geographic photos, just use it as documentation of your chase.

Mpow Car Phone mount for car (optional, for streaming with phone) [$9.99]: This would be a good option for anyone looking to stream with their phone, because this has a long arm that allows the phone's camera to view over the dashboard. This also sticks to the car well and is built a lot more solid than a flexible mount. If you are not streaming I recommend something low profile, like a vent mount or magnet mount.

DIY Laptop mount for car (optional) [~$15]: Most laptop mounts out there are quite expensive and for me have unnecessary features (like the ability to swivel and move around) So why not make one yourself? It works and its quite simple, I made one and have had little problems. Build with PVC pipe, wood 2x4's and plywood. Allow it to slide under the seat and rest your laptop on top of the plywood, hold the laptop on with a large rubber band, bungee cord and you should be in business. I'm not going to give a tutorial over text so you will have to think of ways to do it yourself, just know that it is a cheap option and the only downsides I have encountered is that it can not turn (which i'm fine with) and it can be kind of finicky to get under the seat. It also does not look the prettiest.

La Crosse 810-805 NOAA/AM/FM [$33.71]: Hook this bad boy up to the aux cord in your car and you should be set in terms of severe weather updates, it also comes with a handy little flashlight, so that's one less thing you need to worry about. You can try to find something similar to this that is cheaper, I just recommend a AUX cord so you can listen from your car speakers. Also you can stream some NOAA all hazard streams online, but they rely on data, and a stream has to be up in your area.

TOTAL with optional: $258.22
TOTAL without optional: $153.28

Again, this is not with safety/first aid equipment, which I strongly recommend.

With this all these products you are able to:
-Get latest warnings/alerts.
-Review data of latest warnings/alerts.
-Review radar data.
-Document storms/weather with camera.
-Have a secure and orderly set up in your car.

Feel free to add stuff in reply if you know anything else that would go well with this.

Decent startup list for one who is focused entirely on a chase at hand and close to home.

I think things people tend to discount when they first get out are "how do I get home if something happens" type gear. Tow straps, battery boosters, spare tires, tools, jump packs/cables, etc. I think over the years, not including cameras, I've spent more gear having my car ready to get to and FROM the storms than I have on actual chase gear. For instance, my jumper pack and rain gear cost more than my tablet mount. One of these days I've have to to a pictorial tour of the car. Its dead simple in the front, couple of mounts and cameras/tablet/phone. From there back its a different story...cooler, clothing, spares, tools, sleepover gear, overnight gear should that be necessary, chargers, inverters the list goes on.

An air compressor for car tires is a must, too. If you’re out chasing, you may find yourself many miles away from the next gas station. I can’t tell you how many times a leaky tire almost ruined a chase. Even worse: you don’t want to be stuck in the path of a storm with a flat tire...

Decent startup list for one who is focused entirely on a chase at hand and close to home.

I think things people tend to discount when they first get out are "how do I get home if something happens" type gear. Tow straps, battery boosters, spare tires, tools, jump packs/cables, etc. I think over the years, not including cameras, I've spent more gear having my car ready to get to and FROM the storms than I have on actual chase gear. For instance, my jumper pack and rain gear cost more than my tablet mount. One of these days I've have to to a pictorial tour of the car. Its dead simple in the front, couple of mounts and cameras/tablet/phone. From there back its a different story...cooler, clothing, spares, tools, sleepover gear, overnight gear should that be necessary, chargers, inverters the list goes on.
I completely agree, although I feel that it is quite important to have all these ready (including a plan) I thought I would just make a separate list strictly for being able to receive weather data, alerts, navigation while also being able to document the storm through photos. I could be wrong to say this but I kind of think of safety equipment as a separate category as storm chasing equipment, I think of safety equipment more as something you should have ready all the time in your car or on you.

I completely agree, although I feel that it is quite important to have all these ready (including a plan) I thought I would just make a separate list strictly for being able to receive weather data, alerts, navigation while also being able to document the storm through photos. I could be wrong to say this but I kind of think of safety equipment as a separate category as storm chasing equipment, I think of safety equipment more as something you should have ready all the time in your car or on you.
You make a good point Gavin.

Back