Waiting Game

How is everyone dealing with the lackluster year? After the the spoils of the last 2 years I find myself praying for the "Great Ridge of 2005" to fade away. I've never seen so much humidity and heat, but no rain to boot.
:?

How is everyone dealing with the lackluster year? After the the spoils of the last 2 years I find myself praying for the "Great Ridge of 2005" to fade away. I've never seen so much humidity and heat, but no rain to boot.
:?
I have to agree with you 110%! There hasn't been hardly any storms in Wisconsin since June. We've been having heat wave after heat wave, and the meager "cool down" periods in between have come through for the most part dry with just a wind shift to mark their passage. The first two weeks in June were awesome with the tornado count racking up in WI, but then it totally died off and there isn't even any rain!!!

I'm hoping for even a "mini" second season to help my SDS. Maybe the ridge will die off by August 15th, and things will get a little active before fall gets here with its cloudy, rainy, blustery days. There's a hint in the models of a stormy period between 8/12 and 8/16. Lets see what happens.

-Tim

Well after a rather boring July here in the Eastern Dakotas it has shapped up the last two weeks. Looks like that pattern is going to continue threw the next week.

-Scott

Well after a rather boring July here in the Eastern Dakotas it has shapped up the last two weeks. Looks like that pattern is going to continue threw the next week.

-Scott

I wish the weather in the dakotas would come a little farther south to the Kansas/Missouri region. I can't remember the last time we had any chaseable weather around here. I hope we get our second season come September or it looks like I'll be dealing with an extended **severe** case of SDS until spring '06. In the short to medium term, it looks like the ridge will remain in place and the jet stream will stay up in your neck of the woods (great for you, bad for us here) :( .

Anthony:
Looks like relief might be in sight by late next weekend for you, at least in the Missouri portion of your wish. Looks like just a lot of rain but coverage should be decent over in to IN and OH too.
I have been amazed at the concentration of svr over the past two weeks in Canada. I realize it storms that far north, don't get me wrong (heh) - but... newsworthy severe in our neighbor to the north (not including the plane crash) has been a regular in national headlines. Interesting.

Anthony:
Looks like relief might be in sight by late next weekend for you, at least in the Missouri portion of your wish. Looks like just a lot of rain but coverage should be decent over in to IN and OH too.
I have been amazed at the concentration of svr over the past two weeks in Canada. I realize it storms that far north, don't get me wrong (heh) - but... newsworthy severe in our neighbor to the north (not including the plane crash) has been a regular in national headlines. Interesting.

Yeah...it would be nice to get some water going so we can get rid of this heat...for a while anyways. However...looking over the model runs, it doesnt appear that any severe weather is on the horizon in the near future for the central and southern plains, but I'll take the rain(I guess beggars can't be choosers). Regarding the severe weather up north...that is without a doubt pretty amazing. It seems like the jet stream has been pretty much "frozen" up there the last couple months preventing anything good from occurring across the Great Plains. Heck, before too long the SDS will be really kicking in and I'll be out doing the "supercell dance". Oh well, what can ya do? Mother Nature has decided to do her business elsewhere this season.

My area is in a D2-D3 (severe to extreme) drought and has been since the spring. Since it looks to continue through at least October I've pretty much given up on the 2005 chasing year. I'm just looking forward to 2006 and hoping it makes up for this year.

Yeah, this year has been a total bust. It rained all through June and July, which is peak season in BC. August hasn't been that great either, though we'll see how it goes from here.

Its been a typical season in KC, or at least the KC I've come to know over the last 5 years. Lots of rain and thunderstorms in late march March, April, and May, then little/no rain through September. I hate it, blech.

Well, it would appear that we will get our second dose of "pop-up" showers and thunderstorms today as I see some cumulus bubbling outside my office window. We had a cell pop up and drop 0.35" of rain at my house yesterday, and that was within 15 minutes. Very isolated showers with very gusty winds. The same type of situation caused a few accidents along I-70 yesterday west of Salina.

It's no break in the "ridge", but we'll take whatever precip we can get this time of year.

Tim

There has been close to nothing for the MI season... Besides 6/5 (when I was in GRI...) there has been NO real organized, supercellular events over here. Also, besides the one report of a tornado in the U.P. about a week ago, there has been no tornadoes reported in MI besides the ones on 6/5.

I did get a break about two weeks ago, when a severe storm blew up (which should have been more powerful, considering what kind of setup we had that day...), and produced 1"INCH hail all over my backyard, here in Roseville.

But then again, that is why I left MI for the Central Plains to chase storms... :lol: :lol:

I havent' seen a thunderstorm here since early June, and that one was a joke. This is by far the WORSE drought I've ever seen.

Last winter sucked too, we only had 17" of snow for the entire season, about 20" short of normal.

If weather would have been like this when I was a little kid, I probably wouldn't have taken interest in weather at all.

The area rivers are getting pretty low. As a matter of fact, I was floating down the Clinton River when I hit a log, LOL... Most parts you can just walk across now, where there used to be 2 feet or more of water.

I am sure things would be much worse if it wasn't for that +100 inches of snow we got last winter in our local area. But, at least our total precip for the month of July was above average, to kind of even things out.

Given the number of +90F degree days, I think this will rank as one of MI hottest summers... Too bad severe weather has been at a minimum though, I can't complain too much, I did see some very nice gust fronts, lightning, and a gustnado... Similar to what every season in the Great Lakes brings...

Now I am just waiting for some serious heat and humidity to pump up, the ring of fire to get started up, and have a nice northwest flow derecho :D

It was weird, in mid may, durring my chase vacation, there was no where to go for a 2-3 days. Only a few windy things were poping up in far eastern NM. Later I was able to make it out in june and was able to get a few good storms and tornadoes. Hopefully that will hold me over. Later, I will be on my way back to Albuquerque. Hopefully will at least catch the one or two good storms that fire up from the monsoon. They are at least picture worthy. Also had the 2nd latest start of the Monsoon over here in AZ.

Back