• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Video of Nashville Tornado 03-03-2020

Che Jackson

Enthusiast
I had the pleasure of being able to record on my phone the tornado that hit Nashville March 3, 2020. I lived in Hermitage (about 5 miles NE of downtown Nashville) and had the luck of living in an apartment complex that was on the highest hill in the area, on the top floor and my porch faced directly toward Nashville. I could see for miles on a good day. I was able to start recording before the tornado hit Nashville. I started hearing the sirens and way in the distance I could see small flashes of light I recognized as transformers blowing, so I began recording. When the sky completely lit up purple due to the lightning, that was my first glimpse of the funnel cloud. Then shortly thereafter I saw the explosions in downtown Nashville, in a variety of different colors, and the funnel cloud clearly visible, lit up in the corresponding colors. Then very shortly another lightning flash lit up the funnel cloud, this time much larger and closer. I realized i was in it's path. I woke up my roommate to exit our building. With really nowhere to go to hide, I sat on the ground, my back against my building and kept recording. The "freight train" noise starting to intensify. Suddenly the trees in front of me (about 75ft away) all turned sideways and large pieces of metal roofing 25ft in length and large pieces of plywood flew by. A brief lightning flash lit up the sky again, revealing the funnel wall w debris swirling, only 100-200ft away from me. Thankfully it passed by with no damage to my apartment. But it did hit the Kroger shopping center directly next door to my apartment, damaging several buildings there. I was wondering with the 1yr anniversary coming up, where I could possibly sell the video. I have several screenshots from the video that clearly show the tornado that I will try to post with this message. Hope to hear from anyone with ideas or suggestions for me.Funnelcloud4_052554.jpgVideoCapture_20200303-043519.jpgVideoCapture_20200303-043532.jpgVideoCapture_20200303-043440.jpg

Last edited:
I believe there are some companies such as Live Storms Media who may be interested in your footage. I'm not sure how all that works for just one piece of content though so I'll have to let someone else explain that.

Your video probably depreciated in value since it's almost a year old. Still, if it hasn't been shown to the public until now, I know that weather enthusiasts will be excited about it. There are only a couple videos of that tornado.

I believe there are some companies such as Live Storms Media who may be interested in your footage. I'm not sure how all that works for just one piece of content though so I'll have to let someone else explain that.

Your video probably depreciated in value since it's almost a year old. Still, if it hasn't been shown to the public until now, I know that weather enthusiasts will be excited about it. There are only a couple videos of that tornado.

It's kinda cool to watch the crane operator's video and compare the different explosions and the brilliant colors they produced with my video. Each explosion lit up the funnel cloud in the corresponding colors. This picture is when the tornado was less than 200ft away. You can zoom in and see the debris swirling in the air. 20200303_041630.jpg

It's kinda cool to watch the crane operator's video and compare the different explosions and the brilliant colors they produced with my video. Each explosion lit up the funnel cloud in the corresponding colors. This picture is when the tornado was less than 200ft away. You can zoom in and see the debris swirling in the air. View attachment 21165
When I saw just how close the tornado was, it was both exhilarating and terrifying at the same moment.

I was looking back at the live coverage of the tornado. One thing is for sure, the tornado formed and hit the metro quickly.

I was looking back at the live coverage of the tornado. One thing is for sure, the tornado formed and hit the metro quickly.
It moved quite rapidly, the whole video is less than 7 min. From the moment I started to record, which was a couple of minutes before hitting downtown Nashville til it hit the shopping center next to me, all under 7min.

Back