• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2024-04-23 REPORTS: MO/IL

A bit of a surprise event today that overperformed despite minimal instability (Less than 100 MUcape). I wasn't planning on going out this day, as CAMs showed almost no MUcape and had more of a stratiform rain depiction of precip moving through. I was surprised to see radar showing some strong cells in central Missouri that had developed intense cores and prolific lightning. I scrambled gear together and headed downtown in time for the main line to move overhead.

The storms were producing intense positive cloud-to-ground flashes (one with an indicated peak current of 308,000 volts). I shot the following video at 6,000fps on the Chronos high speed camera. A solid opening to what hopefully will be a great series of chase days ahead!

Back