VIDEO OF IOWA TORNADO

I heard sirens in the video of the tornado in the distance...

Aaron

Yes, im not talking about that video but the one where the tornado is close you cant hear them. Now most of us wouldnt depends on hearing the sirens but a lot of the general public does

Perhaps the general noise associated with having a debris-filled tornado maybe a block away made the sirens inaudible in that video.

What rdale said could be true as well. I remember the Stoughton sirens came on at about 6:15 on August 18, when the warning was first issued for southern Dane County and when the tornado was first forming. The sirens turned off about five minute later, were silent for about 10 minutes, then came back on around 6:30.

Obviously every locality has different policies... Good thing to check in your area. For some of ours, they sound with the TOR, a second time if a fire/police official sees it, and then at the end. Others just sound with the warning. One puts all the fire trucks in the city on the tarmac and sounds the rigs' sirens if one is actually spotted.

- Rob

We dodged another huge bullet with the Ames tornado. They actually evacuated the football stadium where Iowa st. was getting ready to play Colorado. They sent people to the basketball arena for shelter. Not sure if that is a good shelter but obvioulsy better than an open football stadium. The sirens were actually going off when they were evacuating. I am sure there was a bit of panic. Wonder how may people were already in the stands when it happened.

We have discussed this many times before on ST. Just a matter of time before it really happens.

I can't get the good video to work. The vid of the tornado far away works, but the close view footage won't play. Anyone else having this problem?

Try opening Windows Media player, then hitting CTRL+U (or File >> Open URL)... Enter http://mfile.akamai.com/12881/wmv/vod.ibsy...313024.200k.asx and hit Open.

I keep getting this message. Keep in mind the other one played fine...

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. In the Open URL dialog, try opening the file using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:").

I didn't mean to take over this thread. I though maybe others were having this problem.

The other video was pretty good though!

That is a great video clip...just amazing.

I can't get the good video to work. The vid of the tornado far away works, but the close view footage won't play. Anyone else having this problem?

Try opening Media Player. Go to Tools, click on Options, and then click the "File Types" tab, make sure the first box (asf) is checked.

There where reports that a large number of people that decided not to take shelter and stayed either at their tailgate party, or just stayed in the stadium. Also, one ISU fan claims to have literally driven under a tornado, claiming that it lifted off the ground and he powered through, just in time for him to make it through before it touchdown again and continued on its way, causing the driver and vehicle no harm. I have heard of core punching, but this is a little out there. You can tell that he greatly blew the story out of proportion. :roll:

Furthermore I would like to give my deepest sympathies to the family of the lady that was killed in tonight’s storms as well as with the people who’s lives where turned upside down by the devastation caused by tonight’s storms as well the Nov 6th, 2005 tornado that ravaged Indiana and Kentucky.

This is probably the most incredible tornado footage I have ever seen. The guy is lucky that he wasn't nailed by a piece of debris.

Back