Tornadoes of 2005

Many chasers are thinking of the past year as a "bad" chase year, but in retrospect I don't think it was all that bad...sure it was tough especially for those who banked everything on a 2-week vacation in April or May that didn't include 4/21 or 5/10-13, but it's not like there were not any photogenic, chaseable tornadoes to be had in the Plains.

Without further ado, I bring you Andy's Top Tornadoes of 2005, in 2 categories:

Most disastrous:

1.) Evansville, IN 11/06
2.) Stoughton, WI 8/18
3.) Hopkins County, KY 11/15 (only official F4 of the year)
4.) Wright, WY 8/12
5.) Junction City, AR 1/12

Best chases-only relatively easily & safely chaseable tornadoes count, so fast storm motion (11/15), unfavorable terrain (8/18) and surrounded by giant hail (5/12) are disqualified:

1.) Hill City/Stockton/Dodge City, KS 6/09
2.) North-central TX, 6/12
3.) TX Panhandle, 6/11
4.) Hiawatha, KS 6/04
5.) SC KS, 4/21

What does everyone think? Any other picks for the most significant/interesting/photogenic tornadoes of the past year?

Edited to disable smilies

Iowa tornadoes November 12 caused a lot of damage and would probably fit the first category. One was a killer as well.

Somewhere there are images of a tornado in northern MN on July 2nd I think. It was a very nice looking tornado and would rank towards the top of the year IMO.

I almost got nailed by the F1 tornado near the Wisconsin River on 8/18... I curse those hills and trees! LOL. At least I got a picture of it though. 8/18 was a kick-ass tornado day but bad terrain.

I agree with mike, Nov 12 0f 05 caused alot of damage that day in central ia, stratford, woodward, gilbert and other places were hit, though the real destruction was in woodward, that should be in the ranks of the one of the years destructive tornado.

I agree with Andy on 6/09 being the best day for tornadoes this year. There was the Hill City tornado and Trego County. I might be a little biased though, because I saw two tornadoes on 6/09 (only two of the year :( ). As for November 12, I hate that day, because one of my friends randomly went to Iowa for a hunting trip and saw one of those tornadoes. I could never do that. :lol:

I thought Nov 12th IA tornadoes were very photogenic as well as Nov 27th's. 8)

Trego Center KS was my overall favorite.

Cool thread man.

April 10th...southwest Kansas I believe..Dean Cosgrove and others got some really nice high contrast shots. Not sure if this is a top 5 event, but certainly a nice one for photos and vids. I know I wish I had been there!

Rob

2005 wasn't a bad year. It was simply a year when you had to work for it, following a year when everyone had it all handed to them. A great example for newbies of reality.

Petersburg, Floydada TX 6/9.

The Floyd County wedge was a a long lived beast. Low contrast at times, didn't seem many were able to witness it in it's maturity.

6/11, 6/12 too - hell of a week!

Originally posted by B Doss
Petersburg, Floydada TX 6/9.

The Floyd County wedge was a a long lived beast. Low contrast at times, didn't seem many were able to witness it in it's maturity.

6/11, 6/12 too - hell of a week!

That was a crazy storm. The tornado in my avatar was the first tornado of the storm. Danced around like with Wizard of Oz tornado before heading off east. The second one, the wedge, in Floyd county was monsterous! Most definitely in one of my top chase days of the year, of several years in fact.

Originally posted by Shane Adams
A great example for newbies of reality.

I dunno about that, Shane. I literally got a tornado right through my backyard, and Nick Grillo had an incredible season in his first year chasing in the Plains :D .

David-Wow! I've been wondering ever since the event if anyone was on the Texas tornadoes on 6/09 (surely EVERYONE wasn't up in Kansas!). I'm glad to see your website is about to be updated for all those chases. If you change any of the URLs for the old pages, please let me know because I have links to some of them in the high risk archives.

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle

David-Wow! I've been wondering ever since the event if anyone was on the Texas tornadoes on 6/09 (surely EVERYONE wasn't up in Kansas!). I'm glad to see your website is about to be updated for all those chases. If you change any of the URLs for the old pages, please let me know because I have links to some of them in the high risk archives.

It was an awsome day, there was actually a short lived 3rd one after dark on that same storm as well.

<threadjack>And yes the URLs will change so you will need to update, that's a little way's off yet. I'll announce the renovation when it's done and you can get with me to reallocate the links. </threadjack>

June 12 as noted before was a big day for lots of chasers tornado wise.

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andy Wehrle)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Shane Adams
A great example for newbies of reality.

I dunno about that, Shane. I literally got a tornado right through my backyard, and Nick Grillo had an incredible season in his first year chasing in the Plains :D .

David-Wow! I've been wondering ever since the event if anyone was on the Texas tornadoes on 6/09 (surely EVERYONE wasn't up in Kansas!). I'm glad to see your website is about to be updated for all those chases. If you change any of the URLs for the old pages, please let me know because I have links to some of them in the high risk archives.[/b]

Well - 3 years of chasing isn't considered a newbie, IMO... Chasing is chasing, no matter where you do it. As for having stuff "handed to them"... I find this hard to believe in ANY year... While 2004 sure as hell had more tornadoes, you never get anything handed to you. If someone knew absolutely nothing and went out in either years, they would be down on luck most of the time. Any expierenced chaser has to bust his/her ass to be successful on a constant, so there is no such thing as being "handed" storms.

Back