Tornado or inflow tail?new pics of the meso..

From the possible RFD notch to the right, the evidence of rotation in the clouds (though that could be b/c of the windshield), and the dust on the ground, I would have to say that this was a tornado.

But then again, with the poor quality of this photo, I am tempted to just say "inconclusive". :roll:

To me, it has the appearance of a shelf cloud. Strong outflow winds can and do kick up a lot of dirt.

If it was a tornado, I would think it would have been fairly obvious at the time, as the feature appears close enough that any violent motion would have been clearly visible.

Well....I went back to this image and studied it late this evening, after first viewing it in the morning.
I finally figured out what that background "swirl" which is in the top quarter of the photo....it's the steering wheel of the car they were riding in. And....hands are on the wheel...and you can make out the dash board area too! Of this..........I have zero doubt.
One of the other big interests I have always had is the paranormal. And all those years of intently studying purported ghost photos...with their typical haziness, etc. etc...paid off today.
This ain't a hoax shot folks. Now, whether that's a tornado or an outflow feature, etc. ....I still don't know. I still stand by tornado, for now.

I would have to say shelf cloud also, given what is visible. Looking closely at the picture also shows no debris airborn...not always visible, but if this were as large a tornado as it first appears to be, there should be something airborn around it.

This is a pic of the large hail reported in the same zone:

grandine_29-06-05.jpg

Guys
My friend sent me a new pic (poor quality) taken just before the first photo.
To me, this is a wall cloud: you can see the tilted updraft on the right and the rain free base(with the wall cloud at the base).

dcp_4938_f.jpg

Guys
My friend sent me a new pic (poor quality) taken just before the first photo.
To me, this is a wall cloud: you can see the tilted updraft on the right and the rain free base(with the wall cloud at the base).

dcp_4938_f.jpg

The resolution is so low and the angle (poor contrast on the feature) makes it difficult to tell just from the picture, and not enough of what is above it is shown. First thing I think seeing this is a developing shelf cloud. If the first picture posted was after that, it supports that as well.

None of the proper sloping one would look for in a wall cloud (sloping INTO the rain, not away from it) nor a tail cloud is visible on the feature. A shelf cloud would be sloping away from the rain, but if it is sloping toward the photographer in this picture, that probably would not be evident..

Although it could also be a developing wall cloud depending on other things not seen out of the frame and the angle of viewing. Given all of the above, I say shelf cloud forming.

However, given the quality of the photographs, and limited amount of the scene shown, no one is going to be able to tell for sure but the people that were there.

Well, after viewing that 2nd. photo, I'm changing my position from that funnel-like appendage we're discussing from a tornado to some sort of outflow / shelf cloud feature. So, I'm with you, Karen. But like David says...with just these two shots to formulate our opinions...it's really tough to be accurate. With that local newspaper article showing the huge hail...it might well have been a tornadic storm.
Is it possible that you can post more pics, Andrea? Thanks for your efforts on this. I've enjoyed this discussion.

Well, after viewing that 2nd. photo, I'm changing my position from that funnel-like appendage we're discussing from a tornado to some sort of outflow / shelf cloud feature. So, I'm with you, Karen. But like David says...with just these two shots to formulate our opinions...it's really tough to be accurate. With that local newspaper article showing the huge hail...it might well have been a tornadic storm.
Is it possible that you can post more pics, Andrea? Thanks for your efforts on this. I've enjoyed this discussion.

I't's a pleasure Joel but I'havent got any other pictures about the storm..

This is another pic of the storm modified from me because of the noise. You can see a wall cloud with a probable funnel with dust on the ground. And I think it's the same wall with the first pic I posted in page 1.

still01_filtered.jpg

Photo by Nicola Gelfi

Based on that last photo and the photos from the link it's pretty clear that the storm was supercellular - a very pretty storm in fact. Theoretically such a storm could go outflow dominant at any time, but I'd say that the RFD/possible tornado theory is looking more likely now. That last picture shows a wall cloud, shelf-like, but still it's hard to call it anything but a wall cloud.

A very nice storm. Some great pics at that link, although I couldn't read the text. It's always spectacular to see a severe storm like that hanging over a city.

Back