Strongest tornado in 2005, attempt 2

What was the strongest tornado in 2005?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Back in mid-September I posted a similar poll.

What do you think was the most intense tornado in 2005 so far (may have to change it up if there's a big fall outbreak 8) )?

Well...

I think it comes down to these. Officially most of these went down as strong F3s but some of the Kentucky ones from Tuesday are still pending and listed as "F3 or potentially higher".

I think the "Hill City, KS" tornado on June 9th could be listed up there as one of the most intense tornadoes of the year; though the official F-Scale rating may not show it, because that tornado looked to be its most intense over open country.

Maybe even stronge; that same day an intense wedge moved across rural country of the Southeastern Texas Panhandle. Once again, I don't believe the F-Scale rating for this tornado reflects its intensity due to lack of structures to destroy.

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle
Officially most of these went down as strong F3s but some of the Kentucky ones from Tuesday are still pending and listed as \"F3 or potentially higher\".

That may change, from the sounds of this:
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KY
317 PM CDT THU NOV 17 2005

..NEWS CONFERENCE SCHEDULED
A NEWS CONFERENCE HAS BEEN SCHEDULED FOR 500 PM CST THURSDAY NOVEMBER 17TH...AT THE GOVERNMENT BUILDING IN MADISONVILLE KENTUCKY. RICK SHANKLIN...WARNING COORDINATION METEOROLOGIST AT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH KENTUCKY...WILL GIVE DETAILS OF HIS TEAM/S FINDINGS IN HOPKINS COUNTY KENTUCKY.

I would assume one of those tornadoes was at least an F4, since I'm not sure why'd they'd hold a new conference for the Hopkins county tornado and not for the others if the damage was the same (F2-F3). From the pics on the PAH website ( http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_sto...id=324&source=0 ), most of the debris is at least kind of close to the origin, not completely swept away clean like F5s tend to do. The velocity images from that storm were awesome nonetheless.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KY
523 PM CDT THU NOV 17 2005

...PRELIMINARY DAMAGE SURVEY RESULTS FOR HOPKINS COUNTY KENTUCKY...

THE FOLLOWING IS A PRELIMINARY DAMAGE ASSESSMENT FOR THE DAMAGE THAT
OCCURRED OVER THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN SECTIONS OF HOPKINS COUNTY
KENTUCKY ON NOVEMBER 15 2005.

* EVENT DATE: TUESDAY NOVEMBER 15 2005

* EVENT TYPE: F4 TORNADO

* EVENT LOCATION: 1.5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF EARLINGTON TO 7 MILES EAST
OF HANSON.

* PEAK WIND: 210 MPH

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: 525 YARDS (APPROXIMATELY 1/3 MILE). TORNADO
WAS CLOSE TO A HALF MILE WIDE IN PLACES.

* PATH LENGTH: 15 MILES

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pi...ersion=0&max=51

Considering I didn't view one of those listed, I'd have to see some damage photographs from each tornado to even be able to vote on this poll. Then I'd have to evaluate all that along with the type of initial structures that the damage was caused to.

KR

Back