Storm/Weather/Tornado terms we'd like to see

How many terms have you heard to describe a shortwave? I didn't invent it but the term "dingus in the flow" works for me.

LOL, yes I remember that. You, me, and Steve Mirsky were talking about a small vort-max moving into the panhandles. I had used the word "dingus" earlier that day, so Steve looks at that tiny vort-max and refers to it as a "dingus in the flow.":D

I think that dingus was responsible for that beautiful tornadic supercell in KS on May 22nd 2007. ;)

SDS - Supercell Deprivation Syndrome..
A condition that mostly occurs during the dark and dreary months
when supecell development is few and far between.

Renegade - Cell that takes off in a different direction then the cells around it.
Sometimes with a wobble to it.

Snownado - The weather event that is wished for by those suffering
from SDS.

Cumuloboomulo: (I forgot who came up with this one.) A dry thunderstorm with a lot of lightning but most of the precip evaporates before reaching the surface.

CIN'ed: (kind of religious sounding, but still funny) A promising updraft abruptly blocked by the capping inversion is said to have "CIN'ed"

Tropical Depression- Medical condition; severe form of Supercell Deprivation Syndrome. Symptoms include but are not limited to: checking NHC website before and more often than SPC, staring mindlessly at IR WV and Vis loops of something thousands of miles away, looking at GFDL and HWRF model runs before GFS and NAM, cursing the satellite eclipse period, spending more time at ErnUSWX than ST.

Beer Chase Describes a bust in progress that becomes apparent well before dark.

i.e., "Well gentlemen, this is a beer chase....let's find a bar."

It's important to note that the Beer Chase can balk on those rare occasions when major events initiate after sunset. Case in point May 4, 2007. We found ourselves two beers deep into a "Beer Chase" when the Greensburg storm's couplet first appeared on velocity scan...thank goodness we took the laptop inside. Another case was June 3, 2001, when we decided to ignore the Beer Chase warning and waited it out...and had a tornado just after dusk while most were eating dinner.

Porcupine - Chasers who have more antennas on their car roofs than quils on a real porcupine. (this term may be substituted with hedgehog.... if a porcupine is caught driving like their tails are on fire can be called "sonic" and their Klingons (see below) "tails." )

Klingon
- The rookie chasers or local yocals or thrill seekers that latch on to the DOW or "porcupine" chasers in hopes of seeing the finger of good.

Fognado: A scary situation where a supecell is primarily obscured by fog while a tornado is being reported on the ground.

Walt Gish, Johnny Hall, and I ran into this situation this spring near Big Spring, TX. We could only get a few glimpses of an otherwise beautiful elephant trunk while trying to stay out of the way. I can't remember the exact date but, all day there were tornado warned cells all along and south of I-20 from Fort Stockton to Abilene. The only problem was very low clouds, occasional thick fog, Baron was out, motions were near 45, etcetera. Murphy kicked our a$$es that day.

Can anyone remember the exact date?

-Eric

FailCu...or fcu...

Cu towers that try...and try....and try so hard to become something more than a rain maker, but just cant do it. Pictured below.
l_e3e9ef8757f273c4ec440e38947afae9.jpg

Back