Storm/Weather/Tornado terms we'd like to see

Treasure Hunters - Chasers that go out with more equipment than the Ghostbuster mobile.

Marker Sniffers - Chasers that wouldn't see a tornado between the headlights if there wasn't a TVS marker on their radar.

S*** The Bed - When a storm's outflow cuts off its inflow.

Thunder T**s - Mammatus clouds.

The Haunted House - Weld and Morgan Counties in Colorado where tornadoes are frequently reported but never caught on film.

The Sistine Chapel - Looking up into the vault during a night-time storm.

Border Patrol - Different state, different speed limit, less money in the bank account.

MODS ... I'm pushing the envelope with a couple. Feel free to delete if you find them inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a little one I made up about 10 years ago to remember the recipe for a storm:

SMILE
Shear, Moisture, Instability, Lift and Energy = Yay.

Good times.

terms

"Hashbrowns" If the SPC shows a hatched area on the map for the possibility of F2-F5 tornados, my brother would always say "We got hashbrowns!". Though he is gone, I use that term still. Kem

Duke = A vague reference to the Dukes of Hazzard. A duke occurs when you intentionally or unintentionally get air under all four tires on a gravel or dirt road. Most are accidental and not done intentionally. Although I have many near-Dukes, I accidentally achieved my first one on 5-13-08 south of Prague, OK.

"Man, did you see me Duke over that bridge about three miles back?"

Note: Not to be confused with a bowel-movement.

Negative Red and Blue Chase: Meaning being chased by law enforcement while chasing a storm and not even knowing he was behind you WITHOUT the lights on":D

Heres one I use. Never heard anybody else use . " Nonadoes". NO-NADOES

It's an illness chasers suffer after a bad season, chase, or inbetween seasons.

"Swirly twirlies" : Those darn little quick dust swirls that form on a storms outflow that are gustnado wannabies. I suppose it could also be a drunken rednecks term for a tornado, lol. :D

[
Thunder T**s - Mammatus clouds. ( I guess that is mother natures way of flashing us"

lol ahhhhh.

So you're riding a long and you see the mams and think, wow, what a sexy storm! Then it drops a tornado and you go home confused and feeling very, very dirty.

... and another as I ponder the model forecasts just coming in for next week:

Beta Block - Not an Omega block, not a Rex block, but a hybrid blocking pattern that causes one's heart to skip (ref. beta blockers) as one contemplates targeting somewhere or other between Canada and south Texas.

Back