Storm/Weather/Tornado terms we'd like to see

Well Adam had this good one so I thought why not post other terms stormchasers would like to use (good weather, bad weather, etc etc)

Post your own -include the term, whom you attribute to (yourself or others) and the definition

Happy definitions 2008
and the first drum roll please thanks Adam
with permission created by Adam Lucio
Crapvection
often times ruining the days setup etc etc etc....
Leftover and often times dying convection from the previous days storms [often in MCS/C form] that moves through a potential target area in the late morning or early afternoon, ruining the days setup for potential stronger, more severe development later in the day.

(and if you want to add my local bias [most common in northern Illinois!!!!!] lol)

Parasitic Convection... Basically any convection that gets in the way of the storm or storms you are either after or hoping will develop. This can range from a squall line down near the gulf robbing deep moisture to the storms (or potential storms) to the north. Or it can be convection that develops in an area that will affect the storm you're on.

The infamous Sherrifnado. The elusive tornado that magicaly appear only when the sherrifs cruiser passes. Bag one of these as a chaser and you enter the legendary catagory.

methnado
noun
Any non-tornadic cloud protuberance that is reported to weather agencies as a funnel cloud or tornado; reporter must demonstrate some degree of intoxication for a methnado to be confirmed.

Closely related to the Sheriffnado, but certainly not altogether the same, is the methnado. In certain areas of the country, methnados can be quite common on days with a low cloud deck and 40ish temperatures. They are always reported to TV meteorologists, usually during the mid-afternoon hours, with the expectation being that the aforementioned meteorologists will conduct an emergency weather break-in ceremony during Dr. Phil or Oprah. Methnado reporters, it should be mentioned, always hold aspirations of providing an on-air telephone interview during said emergency weather break-in coverage, so as to alert one and all to the severity of the impending methnado doom in their area.

STRATUSCRAPAMONGUS....Pronounced (stratus-crap-among-us) Not latin...........Meaning: A cloud deck of junky stratus clouds that prohibits or slows thunderstorm development.....or.....in the case of daytime tornadogenesis, stratuscrapamongus is needed sometimes...but limits visibility of finding tornadoes to a mile because the low deck of clouds.

methnado
noun
Any non-tornadic cloud protuberance that is reported to weather agencies as a funnel cloud or tornado; reporter must demonstrate some degree of intoxication for a methnado to be confirmed.

Closely related to the Sheriffnado, but certainly not altogether the same, is the methnado. In certain areas of the country, methnados can be quite common on days with a low cloud deck and 40ish temperatures. They are always reported to TV meteorologists, usually during the mid-afternoon hours, with the expectation being that the aforementioned meteorologists will conduct an emergency weather break-in ceremony during Dr. Phil or Oprah. Methnado reporters, it should be mentioned, always hold aspirations of providing an on-air telephone interview during said emergency weather break-in coverage, so as to alert one and all to the severity of the impending methnado doom in their area.

Heidi,
Is that a regional term or would that fit into the same class as our Alabama term of Beernado?

i dont really name things other then they are, but thats the only thing i have a name for...

out here, usually with some of our classic set-ups we get a layer of stratus that sits over the whole area...i usually just refer to it as a "blanket layer" cause its kinda like a big old blanket i guess...similar to alens post, i cant stand a blanket layer...makes chasing dangerous and less photogenic...also throws off the instability params abit...

cant say i really ever thought about making my own term up, but thats one ive just used...

Heidi,
Is that a regional term or would that fit into the same class as our Alabama term of Beernado?

It is my feeling that, while strikingly similar in all respects, the Beernado and Methnado are not necessarily the same pseudo-meteorological phenomenon. It might be best to think of them as members of the same subset. Since there is no clear-cut distinction between the two by definition, it is urged that sweeping generalizations be employed in crunch time; as such, at these times the terms may be used interchangably. It's all the same to the lay-person anyway. However, it is likely that methnados would be more rampant than beernados in some areas of widespread alcohol restriction.

When the time comes for revisions to the official methnado definition, I will be sure to suggest a "see also: Beernado" at the end of the methnado description.

Some creative words here. The word that stuck out the most to me was "Crapvection", seems to happen alot during the Monsoon season.

My brother in law tends to make fun of my knowledge of Clouds and there proper names and every time he see's a Cumulinimbus he yells "cumulumbombus", its pretty funny.

If I was to make up a Storm/Weather/Tornado term I would have to go with

"slightriskachangis" - Pronounced (slight-risk-a-change-is) Meaning you go to bed after seeing Your area in Bulls Eye of Slight Risk for the next day and wake up to the Slight Risk no longer covering your area.

Cant stand that, lol.

-gerrit

I like to say "snow on the roof" referring to overshooting tops.

eeee look at me, I'm so creative. ;)

Two I use here in Australia all the time

Suppercell
Not in any way related to a supercell. Suppercells refer to weak convection that cannot support itself after sunset - therefore all over by supper time !

Anvilus Maximus
Another perhaps misleading term, not to be used for big strong anvils. Anvilus Maximus is instead those anvils that occur in right mix of upper humidity and light upper winds, so that anvils spread and persist, effectively killing off convection over a wide area.

Back