Storm Damage Safety Tips.

I've been in the disaster response business for a 5 years and would like to share some safety tips with spotters and chasers who don't have CERT training or other experience with disaster preparedness, response, recovery etc. These tips are geared towards tornadoes but apply in other disasters like earthquakes, hurricanes etc.

I'm writing this after watching an episode of Storm Chasers (been watching the series via YouTube) and I saw many problems with how Team Dominator handled the S&R in Season 4 Episode 2. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out (it's about 20 minutes into the show) after reading this and you'll pick up on what I'm talking about.

-Wearing flip flops or open toe shoes is a bad idea. This should be self explanatory.
-Do not step through, on or near downed power lines regardless of if they are live or not.
-Having medical training (basic first aid at the minimum) should be something you and all members of your team have. If you have not taken CPR/AED/First Aid from the American Red Cross, it is worth doing before the next season.
-You should always have a first aid kit in your vehicle.
-In the event of a gas leak, let all individuals in the area know that you believe there is a gas leak. If you have a NON-SPARKING gas main valve wrench and know how to use it to shut off the flow of gas, if you can shut off the gas without putting yourself in unnecessary risk, do so.
-Do not use road flares in an area that has been hit by a tornado!!! (goes with above point).
-Debris will need to be moved when searching for victims and you should have Personal Protective Equipment to help you safely move debris to free a victim or gain access to them. (this applies to victims trapped in a structure or in a vehicle) Gear that I recommend would be:
  • Gloves such as Mechanix or any leather gloves that offer full hand and wrist protection.
  • Flashlight to see in low light areas.
  • Knee pads.
  • Pry bar
  • Life Hammer (window breaker and seatbelt cutter).
  • Impact resistant safety glasses. (goggles are more prone to fog and are not as comfortable).
-Store bought first aid kits are not worth the money and have too many bandages and not enough hemorrhage control items. I recommend putting together your own first aid kit that can treat 5-12 people, with supplies sufficient to treat injuries associated with those that would be sustained during a tornado. If you need any advice or supplies, message me. I assemble and sell emergency kits and medical supplies.
-Find out when a local fire department or Office of Emergency Management is having a CERT training course. It isn't mandatory but I recommend it (you never know when the next Joplin will happen).

Some of the emergency gear I take with me when out during severe thunderstorms and extreme winter weather:
  • Steel toe boots
  • 20" tall traffic cones
  • Orion road flares
  • 3M safety glasses
  • Firm Grip work gloves
  • Hi-Viz safety vest, waterproof parka and gloves
  • Fully stocked EMR trauma kit.
  • Life Hammer
  • LED 40lm headlamp
  • Mylar emergency blankets
  • Vehicle stabilization supports
  • Hi-lift jack

I hope you found this useful. Thanks for reading.

I heard on some show or movie that kitchen plastic wrap and Kotex were used to treat field battle wounds.

1) I'd recommend a HAM radio, as cell towers often aren't there or are jammed.
2) Don't drive in too far into the debris path, or expect to have one or my tires punctured by nails. Especially in metro areas, or if it went through housing. Maybe put a magnet strip on the front of your rig, like they have on rollers to 'sweep' cement shop floors.
3) Dr House, MD said do NOT remove embedded objects in people, as the removal might further injure. Pack, wrap and ship is what I plan on. (BTW. That's Dr House like on TV.)

And it would help to NOT have the choppers overhead, so the people underneath stuffs don't have to yell so loudly.

I heard on some show or movie that kitchen plastic wrap and Kotex were used to treat field battle wounds.

1) I'd recommend a HAM radio, as cell towers often aren't there or are jammed.
2) Don't drive in too far into the debris path, or expect to have one or my tires punctured by nails. Especially in metro areas, or if it went through housing. Maybe put a magnet strip on the front of your rig, like they have on rollers to 'sweep' cement shop floors.
3) Dr House, MD said do NOT remove embedded objects in people, as the removal might further injure. Pack, wrap and ship is what I plan on. (BTW. That's Dr House like on TV.)

And it would help to NOT have the choppers overhead, so the people underneath stuffs don't have to yell so loudly.

Great advice! I left out Ham radio but would like to add that it is a good idea to write down all repeater frequencies in the area you are in. I have the RepeaterBook app on my Iphone but if cell service goes out I don't know if the app will still load. Regarding your third point, shrapnel and debris related injuries like that should never be treated unless you have the training and knowledge on treating such wounds. The same goes with neck/spine injuries. Don't move the person, alert emergency responders asap and let them take care of it.

I went many years before finding myself in a situation where I could be of any help, and I think reading my story may be of some small usefullness to anyone reading this thread who hasn't. This is just my experience, and every situation is going to be different, just like every tornado is different. i.e. YMMV.

I arrived in a small town right after a tornado struck, destroying the majority of the town, and the streets were blocked with debris. There were already hordes of professional emergency personnel on site. They knew of the storm in advance and had arrived from neighboring towns immediately, basically chasing the tornado into town themselves. I offered my help, but not having any recent first aid training there wasn't much for me to do. What I was able to do was help out a little bit with clearing the streets of debris (not power lines, obviously), direct some traffic, provide some minor first aid, and communicate whatever I knew to other arriving helpers.

I think that being calm was important, because there were plenty of traumatized folks around who needed that sort of support. Be prepared for some people to act irrationally and emotionally. As my Red Cross training taught, you can't help others if you are yourself badly injured.

If you do not have First Aid and/or CPR training the best thing you can do is call 911. The good Samaritan act covers you if you do anything you have been TRAINED for ... if you do not have up to date training you are opening yourself up to a lawsuit. Sad but that is the time we live in. Many employers will pay for your training if you join their first aid teams. I have done it for years at Kiewit.

With that said it is hard to just call so good luck in which ever route you take ......

Back