Storm Chasers clog roads in Barber County KS

The sheriff put the storm chasers in a bad situation when he demanded they get off the road on his loudspeaker: "get you ass off the road..." Yes there was a line of chasers along the highway pulled off on the grass. In a mile+ of chasers I did not see one vehicle on the concrete and I didn't see any chasers standing on the roadway. That said, when he scattered them out many had no were to go. He stated over the loudspeaker "park on the side roads;" great advice but there was deep mud on most of those roads. We were having some traction problems and we were in a 4x4. I didn't see any chasers speeding although we heard the siren on the sheriff's car go off numerous times. I don't understand why there is a need for a few chasers to show off and speed around other chasers near the storm. I see it every year. Unfortunately many people drive like that all the time.

The sheriff put the storm chasers in a bad situation when he demanded they get off the road on his loudspeaker: "get you ass off the road..." Yes there was a line of chasers along the highway pulled off on the grass. In a mile+ of chasers I did not see one vehicle on the concrete and I didn't see any chasers standing on the roadway. That said, when he scattered them out many had no were to go. He stated over the loudspeaker "park on the side roads;" great advice but there was deep mud on most of those roads. We were having some traction problems and we were in a 4x4. I didn't see any chasers speeding although we heard the siren on the sheriff's car go off numerous times. I don't understand why there is a need for a few chasers to show off and speed around other chasers near the storm. I see it every year. Unfortunately many people drive like that all the time.
I've never quite understood that myself. Drive like a normal person. Showing off makes us all think you're a tool and causes more "antagonizing" of LEOs. That said, I think this officer was out of line if chasers were all off the road for the most part. Seems like that's a running trend in Kansas.

<< LINK>> Watch at :59 seconds - that is a Sheriffs car on the left and a volunteer Firefighters truck on the right NOT pulled all the way off the road. I'm not saying all chasers were completely off the roads but I was there and most of them were. The example they show in this video of who's parked partially up on the roads are the county officials!

"Anytime there is a chaser that is our there acting foolish, they will be ostracized by the community at large and we do a pretty good job of bringing the hammer down on our own people," Comstock said.

LOL, what the heck is this complete load of rubbish?

Oh yes - step out of line and we will not hesitate to leave a negative comment on your Facebook page. Fear the hammer!

I feel arguing who's right and who's wrong, the law enforcement officers or the storm chasers, is a waste of time. There is probably some of both, so there is no winner. However, with the declining reputation of storm chasing, I can assure you who will win that argument in the public court of opinion, whether rightfully or not.

This is a case of a clash of cultures and territorial rights/protection. A sort of microcosm of many, much greater ills of the world over centuries of time. The officers feel a sense of "ownership" of their territory, and thankfully so should you need their assistance as a victim of crime or accident in their area. At the same time, the chaser feels a sense of "ownership" of his/her right to exist in the area to observe storms, or for any other lawful activity for that matter. Each perhaps exercising their obligations and/or rights a little more than they should, and perhaps even breaking the law in some cases. So "who dun what the worst" is a waste of energy and time.

Our storm chasing community has a very serious reputation problem, and its only getting worse. What I would give to be that "fly on the wall" at the local coffee shops in these small towns the morning following a chaser convergence, or especially at one of the numerous statewide law enforcement conventions held annually. I bet it would not sound pretty!

I'm sure this has been proposed before, probably more than once, but its time we form an organization. This organization should focus, number one, on public safety; public to include the chasers, both members and non, and the general public. I suggest we steer away from catchy names with cute acronyms. Instead something simple like the "International Organization of Storm Observers" or something along those lines. I suggest we leave out the word "Chaser".

This organization should:
  • Contain a well constructed, concise charter and / or mission statement
  • Contain a well developed and consensual Code of Conduct
  • Keep a role of those willing to sign up and commit to this code
  • Develop a self-policing program with a method of enforcement of the above code (suspension or expulsion from organization perhaps)
  • Be led by an active and committed spokesperson, willing to interface with the public media in the attempt to promote the image of storm observing and observers. Also to speak (and more importantly, LISTEN) at law enforcement conventions, etc.
  • Furnish some form of visible identification to be placed on vehicles. This identification should NOT be large and flashy in an attempt to display importance. Why? Because typically, we are not. Instead, it should create a simple means of identifying your (insert acronym here) number for self-policing purposes, and most importantly, to make a statement that you are committed to upholding the (insert acronym here) Code of Conduct.
Chuck

LOL, what the heck is this complete load of rubbish?

Oh yes - step out of line and we will not hesitate to leave a negative comment on your Facebook page. Fear the hammer!
My statement about us self policing our communuty was in response to the question of "what do chasers do when we see one of our own cause problems while chasing." What was I supposed to say, "we do nothing?" That would have been the perfect soundbite for them to use and make the story purely negative about chasing.

There is s lot of my interview they did not use which was 15 minutes long in its entirety.

Last edited:
Chuck - check the 47 threads in the archive containing the exact same proposal in the last 10 years before going too far with it :)

You are right though, both sides probably are at fault to some degree. My issue was with the chasers who linked the sheriff's Facebook page and started harassing the office and making "veiled" threats. That's not going to do anything good in the public eye.

Chuck - check the 47 threads in the archive containing the exact same proposal in the last 10 years before going too far with it :)

You are right though, both sides probably are at fault to some degree. My issue was with the chasers who linked the sheriff's Facebook page and started harassing the office and making "veiled" threats. That's not going to do anything good in the public eye.
Agreed, it will also only foster a worse relationship with the LEOs in both this county and outside of it. No need to make us out to look like bigger lunatics than we may or may not be.

I really think we have the upper hand here due to technology. Most of us have multiple sources of video running at any given time. We need to start using these video capabilities to combat this problem from two angles: one, to prove that things aren't as bad as they are being made out to be, and two, to show who the culprits really are. Problem solved. No more speculation and finger pointing, just lay it all out there. Worst case scenario, if it *is* "us", we identify who any problem chasers are.

To the LEOs, I would say I have no ill will toward any of them, but keep in mind that many cameras will be rolling. I don't know how common dashcam systems are for rural law enforcement vehicles, but I'd encourage them to start doing the same thing - using the video to show when/where/who the problems are.

I personally run three full-time dashcams that point in 3 different directions, and may be possibly adding more. These all record for 6 hours. Rest assured I will be archiving the video from all 3 cameras during any Plains chase, for public use should a negative article like the above arise.

For example: here's a timelapse of the convergence in Colorado last May 21 from my front dashcam. I invite any newspaper reporter or LEO to observe this video and comment:

If anyone would like to publically debate this topic live on YouTube, please contact me via PM. This topic will be brought up on The Ghost Train podcast this weekend.

As for my take of this topic, it goes both ways. Highway 160 is one of the worst highways to chase on. Barber county is one of the worst counties in KS to chase in as well. This has to do with terrain, road network, and lack of data for some. All I can say is if you chase on that stretch of highway, make sure you get there early. Or position yourself further north. I think KS LEOs are tired of seeing chasers, and chasers are tired of being pushed around by KS LEOs. And there's not much compromise because both sides are right and wrong.

We were nearly on that storm early in it's life but decided to go south on the dryline storms instead (D'oh!). As we approached from the east on secondary roads the only other traffic we saw was a couple of farm implements being moved from one field to another and a little old lady who was all over the road as she could barely see through that opening between the steering wheel and the dash. That said I'm curious about all that other traffic in KS that was tied up due to chasers. From what I'm hearing it was local officials causing most of the supposed gridlock and unsafe conditions.

I've heard it for some time now......JOE BLOW CHASER......"I don't care how chasers chase. Let em chase the way they want as long as they don't bother me". Now that were in the spotlight again, they're backtracking and trying to make it right. We're going to have to once and for all get serious about policing ourselves, or it's just going to get worse. If you don't believe that, your just in denial.

My statement about us self policing our communuty was in response to the question of "what do chasers do when we see one of our own cause problems while chasing." What was I supposed to say, "we do nothing?" That would have been the perfect soundbite for them to use and make the story purely negative about chasing.

I get that you don't want to give them a negative soundbite; but in that case I believe it would be better to say nothing, rather than offering this fiction. "We do nothing" doesn't sound good, but at least it's true. Not for lack of trying, but true all the same.

I get that you don't want to give them a negative soundbite; but in that case I believe it would be better to say nothing, rather than offering this fiction. "We do nothing" doesn't sound good, but at least it's true. Not for lack of trying, but true all the same.
Saying "no comment" is just as bad as they would have noted that I dodged the question.

Back