Storm Chasers clog roads in Barber County KS

I have to wonder if the people writing negative comments were there. I get the feeling with these stories that it's not quite the non-issue as the chaser side wants to make it seem, but not nearly as bad as it's being made out to be by the critics. Again, what you see on most media is there to generate polarizing controversy, not necessarily to raise legitimate issues and certainly not to present a fair balance on an issue if there is one.

Apparently the sheriff pulled over the TIV <<LINK>>. This is why I like to go as incognito as possible. If you have a lot of antennas, lightbars, or autowrap or look like a tank you are more likely to be a LEO target. This problem is only going to get worse as the numbers of chasers and locals increase. All we can do is follow all the laws be respectful and drive safely and not look like a 3 ring circus.

There is an easy way to combat these types of articles. Do you run a dashcam/mounted GoPro? If you were there, post the ENTIRE thing on Youtube. Video never lies, and if this problem is being blown out of proportion, then that would go a long way in either shaming/shutting up the critics/reporters or exposing a real issue if there is one.

Never a problem here in Georgia. For 20 years I've been one of the few crazy enough to chase among the pines. Don't think I've ever seen another chaser here.

I wonder how much money all those chasers being complained about spent in Kansas yesterday. Yes, chaser jams can be a problem, and I do plan to avoid them in my chasing sometimes. And people DO need to chase safely, get completely off the roads, etc. That said, I still think there seem to be some people, maybe especially in Kansas, that only want to look at the negative impacts of chasing.

I'm curious how many times LEO's were NOT running lights and/or siren when these situations hapen. My incident last night was one where I was coming off a dirt road onto west 53rd street going into Colwich as the storm that produced the elephant trunk passed north of town. There was a line of cars I couldn't get ahead of, but was able to get in after the 2nd car. Turns out, the 1st 2 were LEO who were running their back lights ONLY. As we entered Colwich, the truck behind me flashed it's brights and I slowed to the posted 30mph speed limit, being left in the dust by the 2 LEO's. The truck then moved into the ONCOMING lane to pass, so I moved over to the right lane (which we had just got). As the truck blew by, I laid on my horn only to realize it too was LEO, again NOT running front lights, only rear.
Unfortunately, my power cord for my dashcam (front and rear cameras) got bumped and the cam turned off before I got onto 53rd. I didn't notice until after the incident when I went to "lock" that particular piece of footage. I only saw 2 other LEO's last night and not a whole lot of chasers either. Numbers seem to thin considerably when it gets dark.

OMG I AM SO ANGRY. I haven't even begun to read the responses here yet (probably a mistake on my part) but the actions of the volunteer firefighters running around in their Barber County fire truck were much more egregious than anything I saw a chaser do near Medicine Lodge yesterday. They had a large, wide POS "grass truck" and there wasn't enough room to get it completely on the shoulder, so every time they parked along the (admittedly crowded) highway, they were hanging half their rig out into traffic. They were running lights constantly and sirens occasionally with absolutely no reason for it, and getting in verbal (and once almost physical) fights with people who refused to yield to their bullsh**t or were angry at them for parking in the roadway. They were a bunch of yahoos looking for excitement, hiding behind their fire department status. I was equally angry at them and embarrassed for them.

If it's an emergency vehicle, you yield to it - always. No matter what. No matter if you think they're running their lights and/or sirens for "no reason", or that what they're up to is "bullsh**t". They have the right of way, period. If the people operating the emergency vehicles are misbehaving, the time to deal with that is afterwards on the phone or via post. Refusing to yield is dangerous, possibly illegal, and pointless and foolish even if not. Actually stopping and getting into a verbal altercation with them is borderline insanity.

Anyone have a link of the TIV getting pulled over? I heard there were some issues, but the journalist side of me says wait until the facts are known. The link Verne posted is dead. Thanks.

W.

Anti-chaser news story. State of Kansas. Just move along folks, nothing new here.

However, I'm sick of hearing muggles on-camera attempt to distinguish between chasers by assigning "professionally trained" and "amateur". NO chaser is trained, ever. And selling video doesn't constitute being a "professionally trained" chaser. Maybe it's time I gave a lesson on this.

For as nuts as the SpotterNetwork dots looked last night around Medicine Lodge, the only bad thing we saw was someone stop COMPLETELY in the road at the corner of Isabel and NE Ridge Rd as the storm departed to the NE of town and started to dwindle. Other than that, everyone seemed to be in good form.

If it's an emergency vehicle, you yield to it - always. No matter what. No matter if you think they're running their lights and/or sirens for "no reason", or that what they're up to is "bullsh**t". They have the right of way, period. If the people operating the emergency vehicles are misbehaving, the time to deal with that is afterwards on the phone or via post. Refusing to yield is dangerous, possibly illegal, and pointless and foolish even if not. Actually stopping and getting into a verbal altercation with them is borderline insanity.

I don't necessarily disagree with you @Jake Orosi, but I would to clarify what I personally observed:

1. The FD personnel seemed to be "chasing"; They were moving north and east with "us", zig-zagging to follow the storm.
NOTE: This could be an officially sanctioned duty, but in my experience (as a former volunteer for several fire departments and a retired career fire/medic) dispatched units position themselves to the southwest of a city as "lookouts" for city protection. Once a storm is no longer a threat to their city, they return to base.
2. The FD truck was rarely parked safely out of the roadway, unlike the chasers I saw. (see pic). They even left their doors open.
3. FD personnel appeared to be using official status and lights/sirens in order to gain "preferential parking", and in fact appeared on several occasions to bully chasers from their safely parked positions, only to park UNSAFELY themselves.
4. The FD personnel were agitated and aggressive because they weren't getting respect/compliance from other chasers, and a lot of foul language and threats were heard (in both directions), mostly because the FD people were creating an unnecessary hazard and appeared to be an unprofessional pack of bullies acting in a VERY questionable "official" manner.
5. Chasers were pissed because of #4 above. They were forced from their positions simply because some bully with a siren and official FD status wanted their parking spot.

Fire/EMS and law enforcement personnel are required by law to exercise diligence and "due regard" for public safety when operating emergency vehicles with lights and siren. In my (fairly qualified) opinion, the unprofessional behavior of the FD personnel actually contributed to a hazardous traffic situation, and it was a technical abuse of power by public officials for their arbitrary and unprofessional demands on the public to yield for no discernible reason.

Below pic illustrates the FD truck parked in a way that clearly obstructs traffic, even though Twin Peaks road had plenty of room for them to pull in and park along with several chasers (myself included)

MLcrazyFD.jpg

I considered writing a letter to their fire chief, and might still do so in light of the recent publicity. Let this post reflect my public opinion on the matter.

TR

For as nuts as the SpotterNetwork dots looked last night around Medicine Lodge, the only bad thing we saw was someone stop COMPLETELY in the road at the corner of Isabel and NE Ridge Rd as the storm departed to the NE of town and started to dwindle. Other than that, everyone seemed to be in good form.

I had several bad experiences (discounting my previous rant against the FD vehicle) and was nearly hit by an oncoming pickup because the driver was staring at radar, but for the most part I agree that despite the crazy chaser convergence *most* drivers were situationally aware if not polite in Kansas on 4/8.

Back