Storing Batterys

If this has already been addressed I'm sorry for the repeat but, does everyone keep charging there Camera batterys durning down time like summer and winter or do you just let them eventually drain. Cause I just received a 11 hour battery for my birthday And I was debating charging it or just leaving it alone until we see if we will have a fall season! Any input is gratefully appreiciated.
James :?

Many batteries will eventually lose their ability to charge. You might see something along the lines of "up to 1000 charges". I know I've killed a couple cordless phone batteries over the years. You might as well charge it up to make sure it works properly before storing it. Generally best to do a full charge and full discharge but I've had no noticable battery memory problems recharging half empty batteries.

Generally best to do a full charge and full discharge but I've had no noticable battery memory problems recharging half empty batteries.

Many camera batteries of Lithium Ion, which don't have "memory" problems that some other types of batteries have (NiCad and NiMH both have memory issues). So, partial recharges of LiIon batteries won't really harm them, and in fact, LiIon batteries aren't supposed to be fully discharged -- it shortens their life.

Regarding storage, I've heard that if you plan on storing a battery for an extended length of time, you should charge it to only 40-70% before storage, and preferably in a cool place (e.g. not the garage). The NiCad and NiHM are supposed to be stored full-charge, however.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-19.htm

also..using 'fast' chargers will kill your batteries quicker than if you use a slow charger. It has to do with physics and electrical properties. Fast might be more convenient but you'll pay for it in battery replacements.

Back