Spotter Network Training / Exam in Open Beta

Passed the Test!!

Good News! I aced the test 100 per cent on my third try. I have taken spotter training classes before. I will be a certified storm spotter this Spring even though I have not actually gone on a tornado chase yet!! :D

Guess one has to take baby steps before he walks eh?? :D

Perhaps we should start a new thread since no longer 'open beta' - we are live - no?

Question: How long does it take to get Spotternet updated for passing the course and what is the procedure? Took it last night, so I need mine updated.

TIP: It occurs to me that a good idea procedurally for getting SN updated fully operational after passing the test is to have the training course - or Spotternet interface generate a unique, 1 time use code that can then be entered on the Spotter Network site by the SN member to make it active for logging reports. That way, it wouldn't take extra clerical work by NSR staff or Spotternetwork people. Just takes a random generator, keycode synched between the two.

We have an automated system that updates your account. However, it doesn't work for people who don't follow the instructions and use different email addresses on both systems. :)

If you are not showing up in the SN system as having passed the test....drop me an email and I'll manually link you.

True, I signed up with a gmail account before I read that it had to match my Spotternet email. But I figured that out right away and had Josh delete the Gmail account that I started taking training with. I then signed up for training with my tornadoxtreme account and that's what I passed the test with - I believe. But no, it doesn't show in Spotternet I took the test.

Do you have to retake the test every year? Because i was scrolling through this thread and apparently i took the test back in 2009. im a little confused. Also, Is there a minimum number of reports you have to send in before something happens (not sure what that "something" would be)? Oh, and i did take the test....and PASSED! Im so proud of myself :) First time, too ;)

Hi everytime I try to sign on to that link it send me to yahoo instead!
I'm pleased to announce that the long awaited Spotter Network Training and Exam is ready for open beta. Just in time for severe weather season.

The Spotter Network has partnered with the folks behind the National Storm Research and Training Institute to build the most advanced online training program for severe weather spotters ever. Or at least we think so. The hard work behind the scenes was done by Joshua Jans.

This is not your typical "this is what a tornado looks like" training program. The Spotter Network expects all it's active members to have a basic understanding of the meteorological concepts. We believe you have to understand what you are looking at to really know what to look for.

We highly encourage all spotters to go through the training and take the exam. Within the next 60 days, it will be a requirement for all Spotter Network members that wish to submit reports.

Comments/criticisms/complaints/suggestions for improvements/etc are welcomed!

Please go to the below URL and signup:
http://www.training.disasterweather.org/login/signup.php

Make sure you use the same email address you use on the Spotter Network as this will be the means by which we verify that you have passed the exam when we start enforcing training.

Once you signup you will need a "key" to get into the Spotter Network training program. That key is: spotternetwork2009

-Tyler

Hi everytime I try to sign on to that link it send me to yahoo instead!

Back