Spotter Network Training / Exam in Open Beta

I'm pleased to announce that the long awaited Spotter Network Training and Exam is ready for open beta. Just in time for severe weather season.

The Spotter Network has partnered with the folks behind the National Storm Research and Training Institute to build the most advanced online training program for severe weather spotters ever. Or at least we think so. The hard work behind the scenes was done by Joshua Jans.

This is not your typical "this is what a tornado looks like" training program. The Spotter Network expects all it's active members to have a basic understanding of the meteorological concepts. We believe you have to understand what you are looking at to really know what to look for.

We highly encourage all spotters to go through the training and take the exam. Within the next 60 days, it will be a requirement for all Spotter Network members that wish to submit reports.

Comments/criticisms/complaints/suggestions for improvements/etc are welcomed!

Please go to the below URL and signup:
http://www.training.disasterweather.org/login/signup.php

Make sure you use the same email address you use on the Spotter Network as this will be the means by which we verify that you have passed the exam when we start enforcing training.

Once you signup you will need a "key" to get into the Spotter Network training program. That key is: spotternetwork2009

-Tyler

I won't have time to go over all of it today, but taking a glimpse at it what a great job! Nicely done.

Tyler...

I just finished the test with an acceptable grade and now two questions:

(1) How can we tell if we have been given credit for the course?

(2) What is the minimum passing grade?

I notice several minor errors in the course, who do we tell. These are verbiage, not technical errors....

I think this is a horrible idea! What are we going to do without the "look what this R-tard posted on Spotter Network" threads. ;)

I think this is a horrible idea! What are we going to do without the "look what this R-tard posted on Spotter Network" threads. ;)

I realize that this will be a great loss to the Stormtrack community, but it is time for change. I understand that change can be scary. We're here to help you through it Dann... :D

Keep the comments coming everyone!

As a reminder, this is part of what was announced in the SpotterNetwork Newsletter sent out in December that's available here:
http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18887

Ha, i was looking through this, I noticed the Severe Thunderstorm Criteria has not been updated to 1" hail, its still at 3/4" hail.

It's only 1" for the Central Region NWSFOs if I recall correctly. The rest of the country is still at 3/4" for severe hail.

The WFOs are using the 1 inch.

In North Dakota: Bismarck, Eastern North Dakota (Grand Forks);
In South Dakota: Rapid City, Aberdeen, Sioux Falls;
In Minnesota: Minneapolis (Chanhassen), Duluth;
In Wisconsin: La Crosse, Green Bay, Milwaukee (Sullivan);
In Michigan: Marquette, North Central Lower MI (Gaylord), Grand Rapids, Detroit;
In Indiana: Northern Indiana (Webster); Indianapolis;
In Kentucky: Louisville, Paducah, Jackson;
In Illinois: Chicago, Central IL (Lincoln);
In Iowa: Des Moines, Quad Cities (Davenport);
In Missouri: Pleasant Hill, Springfield, St. Louis (plus two counties in the WFO Memphis CWA);
In Nebraska: North Platte, Hastings, Omaha;
In Kansas: Topeka, Wichita, Dodge City, Goodland;
In Colorado: Boulder/Denver, Pueblo, Grand Junction;
In Wyoming: Riverton, Cheyenne (plus one county in the WFO Billings CWA

The test should address this as many of the states are in the "The Alley".

Also 60 is not the lower limit, 58 mph triggers a severe t-storm warning.
As far as I know that is nation wide.

But I like the idea as long it does not supply incorrect information
to our spotters.

Keep up the good work Tyler!

Tim

Tim

Also 60 is not the lower limit, 58 mph triggers a severe t-storm warning.
As far as I know that is nation wide.

Keep up the good work Tyler!

Tim

Tim

I believe the question you refer to asks which of the following would qualify as 'severe' and the 60MPH would be the only one of the four. The course material refers to 58 as the minimum...

I got 1 wrong and didnt receive any notifaction stating wether or not i passed, is there a way we can verify this?

Maybe i should have read the material first :p

I glanced through them though and I think the content and the test are very nicely put together especially for beginners.

Maybe it's a Michigan thing, since my mailserver is there. I try to log in it just tells me that an email should have been sent to (displays correct email address) and that I need to confirm my login.

I got all signed up but I need to know where it tells me the key to take the training.

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw it on page 1 of the thread

Maybe it's a Michigan thing, since my mailserver is there. I try to log in it just tells me that an email should have been sent to (displays correct email address) and that I need to confirm my login.

I had the same issue, had to email the training site support and they set me up that way. Nice course, takes a little while to get through if you watch all the videos. Good information.

Back